MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: 327 fed mag moulds .311-.314

327 fed mag moulds .311-.314

why does the lyman book list lee .311 diameter molds for 327 fed mag? Is the idea that you cast soft enough to obturate ?
    I bought the .314 90 grain , its the only one they offer in .314 Id prefer something bigger.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I use Lyman 311316. I cast relatively soft and it drops large enough to size/loob at .313, I also use the RCBS 98 SWC that drops at 105 from the same soft alloy, sized .313. Bought both molds used, good bullets. In all 4 of my 327 revolvers it seems that the heavier bullet is a little easier to get accurate loads with.

For my 327 ,I size all my to .313. Did you slug your barrel ? Go with what your gun say and go with that.Also you could check with NOE for some molds also for the size you might need. RCBS have some also like was stated from Guesser. I have that mold he stated. Have some Lyman also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

It's my understanding that most Lee molds drop bigger than listed, all my Lee molds do. Most people size to either .313" or .314" based on their gun. All 4 of mine can take a .314" so that's what I use. I too prefer bigger bullets, and find 100 grains and lighter to be too small. My favorite overall is the Accurate 31-120K. So far I've ran up to 145 grains bullets, and can still get 1300 fps out of a handgun.

Boolit Master

The RCBS 314-90 Cowboy Mold drops an honest .314+ with range.scrap. My other two are MP molds 324-640 120 and 140. The sledgehammers are long and only work in the S7 with 32 H&R brass.

There is still time to get in on the group buy for the mjolniir. It was designed specifically for the single seven. I can’t wait for mine. Till then I am shooting a badman’s bullets 115gn sized .314. It is a good bullet.

Boolit Master

I've loaded for a host of .32s. Two Single Six .32 Mags and a Hawkeye .32 Mag/.32-20 and a Model 30 Smith and a Model 31 Smith. I've used .311 diameter bullets in all of them and have experienced good accuracy. The 311008HP or the old Lyman 31133 gave good accuracy with a bit of weight in the Magnum and would probably do well in the .327. My favorite .32 bullet. I'd try some .311s before I got wrapped around what was published somewhere about bigger diameter bullets. Just might save yourself some money./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

What gun are you casting for? If for a revolver, you are best off sizing to your cylinder throats.

Only picked it up today. Charter arms chambered in 327 fed. I’ll measure cylinder soon as I figure out what to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not saying your wrong, but .311" would not work in any of my guns. I don't have a Charter Arms though. I would recommend .314", all four of my guns, including my Henry rifle have .314" throats.

Buffalo Bore has a 130 Keith style bullet (AKA Boolit) in their 32 H&R Mag and 327 Fed. loaded ammo listings. I have not seen a mold listed anywhere for that bullet. Anyone know who makes that mold?

Boolit Grand Master
    Both MP and NOE offer moulds that drop bullets at 314” or even slightly larger. My newly built custom K-32 has .313” throats, so that is the limiting factor for my bullet sizing, but you will need plan gauges or some similar equipment to measure your gun’s throats. If you don’t have or have access to this type of instrument, it will be worth the cost of having it done by a well equipped gunsmith or a machinist. BTW, the marked size of a sizing die is not always the size you get... measure the bullets you get from it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm not saying your wrong, but .311" would not work in any of my guns. I don't have a Charter Arms though. I would recommend .314", all four of my guns, including my Henry rifle have .314" throats.
    You are right about .311 would not work in my guns also.My 32ACP I size to .312 for it and the 327 is all .313 is size to.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

This. Same here. .314 for everything. I don’t have any charter arms though.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    Buffalo Bore has a 130 Keith style bullet (AKA Boolit) in their 32 H&R Mag and 327 Fed. loaded ammo listings. I have not seen a mold listed anywhere for that bullet. Anyone know who makes that mold?
    I've not seen a mold either, but I'll post a link below to the bullet itself. It's listed as sized .313".

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/tsh...h-per-300.html

I've not seen a mold either, but I'll post a link below to the bullet itself. It's listed as sized .313".

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/tsh...h-per-300.html
    That looks like it.. Thanks