RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1944 'New' M39 Mosin Nagant

Boolit Bub

1944 'New' M39 Mosin Nagant

Purchased a Finn MN after digesting as much info as I could on the net. 1944 SAKO on an 1895 receiver re barreled by the Finns in '44. 100% blue and immaculate bore/muzzle (not slugged yet)..stock is wartime and excellent...not a cheap one but I wanted what I wanted.

Cleaned the M39 up (cosmoline and extra work on the chamber area) , touched the trigger up a bit and fired 15 safety check/familiarization rounds. First round high at 12 on my super duper pie plate targets (50m)...was told they shoot high as the Fins took/trained a 6 hold.

So dropped point of aim to the bottom edge...180 gn S&B copper/lead (.311) brass casing (so I can re load)….very pleased with this Fin...shoots well.

On disassembly noted the for stock had been hand sanded internally to give a free floating barrel (very noticeable on the top hand guard)...there was a copper shim screwed into the stock near the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	223965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	223966receiver where it beds into the stock and the trigger had a separate pin added to keep constant pressure on the trigger....no slack...about a 5 lb break I am guessing and very crisp....really pleased. Ordered a 8.6 mm front sight to replace the 7.4 thatis on it presently but I am going to scope it...the bore is bright with no issues, no counter boring and the muzzle is pristine...it came with an arms room tag on it.
    Army SA 1944 with original wartime stock in excellent shape and about 100% bluing.
    Last edited by CSMR; 07-20-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Very nice rifle ! Looks original.

How does one scope one of these ?

Boolit Bub
    Well, you can go with an original Russian style mount if you tap the receiver, inlet the stock a bit off side of the ejection port and change the bolt handle but I want to keep the rifle as is as all numbers match so will go with a 'scout scope'. S&K makes a solid mount that takes the place of the sight ramp without modification.....long eye relief scope in 3x12 should do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorxring View Post
    Very nice rifle ! Looks original.

How does one scope one of these ?

Boolit Master
    Kind of looks like a Mosin but they sure don't feel or shoot like one. I have a looks new Sako a little older than yours and shot about the same. Slug the bore, you might be suprised. Never put Boolits through it but chatter IIRC has always been they like the lead. Enjoy your new toy!

Boolit Master
    Rock Solid makes what is, IMHO, THE BEST aftermarket scope mount for the Mosin. It does require drilling and tapping, and you would also need an altered bolt handle to clear the scope.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Those Finn reworks are the only MN worth having IMO. Mine shot great as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Very nice!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    You've got an historic treasure there. It's beautiful. Enjoy it.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Those M39 rifles are the Finns gift to mankind .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Bub
    If I went the modification route I'd go original Russian style mount and scope...but...I don't want to do permanent mods to it...it is not 'special' by any means but it is a great example and all the numbers match including that bolt I'd have to mess up.

I'll stick with a scout set up and keep it original.

It will be fun playing with loads etc....btw...It is a '44....I hit the 5 twice initially and did not notice.

Boolit Bub
    Question...just slugged the bore and have a .311 at the grooves and .30 at the lands...as close as I can get with calipers it seems to be on with multiple 'gentle' tries. If there is an error it would be a bit less rather than more .3105 possibly.
    The target above was shot with .311 jacketed lead core 180's....with a .311 bore would you go with .311 jacketed copper or .312?
    I am thinking a .311 for jacketed and an over bore for lead correct?
    Rather new re loader here.

CSMR, I too have a M 39 Finn (Sako, Civil Guard cartouche) and have shot it with a variety of CB diameters. In short, at least for my rifle, .312" (and Lyman #314299) is the most accurate/groups tightest.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Maven and that .312 is in cast lead only or copper clad too? Did you slug the barrel for a diameter?

Boolit Master

What a nice rifle; the Fin’s do indeed have a Cadillac feel over their Russian, Polish or Chi-Com counter parts.

CSMR, Yes, I slugged the bbl. several times, but the .312" is for CB's only. If I recall, the Hansen (now Privi) FMJ bullets were at least .311" and contained ~48gr. of an extruded powder, which I later used, much reduced, with CB's. Btw, I never fired a jacketed bullet out of the M 39: the Hansen stuff was purchased solely for the brass.

Boolit Bub
    That is what I am thinking too....I shot some .310 PPU RifleLine today and the groups opened a tad but the Sellier and Bellot is a true .311 and prints well...I bought both for the brass also and to simply get a feel for the rifle....love it btw.
    Old military rifles have a feeling about them and this Finn has that....the little arms room work done, copper shims, floating barrel...you can literally move the barrel without touching the wood gives it a personal touch that I like....someone took the time to make it right.

Boolit Bub
    This is a fun rifle for sure. I put an 8.6 mm front sight in place of the 7.4 and that got me down in the black @ 50 m. Still a tad high so will place a thin paper shim under the rear sight where it screws to the ladder lowering it a hair....that should be dead on then center mass of the black/ where I aim.
    The S&B 180gn/.311 Chrono's at 2620 +- and is more accurate than the PPU 182/.310 but they print in the same area...PPU Chrono'd at 2650 +-,,,shooting all of this for the brass to load dif weight .311 and some .3105 for comparison using IMR 4064 in dif gn weights.
    I shimmed/polished the trigger and all bearing surfaces associated to a 3.5 lb pull with a crisp break....took off just a hair of hand guard wood for a true floating barrel (you can move it without it hitting anything) and replaced the firing pin spring with a 24lb. that actually dents the primers less than what came with?? Scout scope (3x12) en route.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	224272 Target is 9" with a 2.5 black.

Boolit Master

This is the most non-intrusive scope mount:

https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...sin-nagant-m39

Boolit Bub
    Looks very practical but I'd already ordered the S&K altho they mount in a similar fashion. I would have given this a look.

Boolit Bub
    stuff arrived today....nice solid mount thru the pin area and the same rear screw into the sight mount..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	224558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	224560

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast