Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: sump pump advise

Boolit Master

sump pump advise

Hi, gotta get a new one, several out there for home use. Need to get in asap as 5" rain forecast for next week!

Harbor Freight, Wayne, what's your choice and feedback, good and bad?

Thanks, 30CF.

Banned
    It's your house and water can do a lot of damage. I wouldn't skimp or get one that is too small

https://www.google.com/search?source...63.dEy-2uY_afA

Boolit Master
    Wayne has always had a good quality pump.But it`s like the old joke about oats:
    You pay one price for oats fresh out of the field,then there`s another price after they have been through the mule.Take your choice.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Zoeller is my sump pump brand of choice. I like the cast iron frames, works 20+years without a problem. Also can get the parts kits to replace the float switch. IMHO they are the best! This shows some specs. https://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-na/p...tial/50-series

Currently running harbor freight with no issues.

Have had Wayne also.

Mostly I don't see the point in spending a lot more. They sit in water most of their life. Corrosion happens.
    So paying half for one and getting over 5 years of use out of it leaves me ahead of the game IMO.

But its your house, your stuff, you decide.

I don't worry about the sump pump failing in a big rain. I worry about the power going out.

Been there done that in an 8 inch rain (in 2 hours) Water was only 4" deep across the basement. Then the power came back on.

Boolit Grand Master

Remember to occasionally add water to check for float switch failure and restricted pipes. That's a surprise you don't need. It's easier to fix in the dry than under water.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Thanks all, water in has always gotten in, the pump has always done it's duty.

I'll be looking at the mentioned products today and make a choice.

Boolit Master

Stick with a 'name brand' like Eco-Flow, Wayne, or Zoeller. A several years ago I contracted for the installation something over 50 Zoeller pumps for the crawlspaces of a condo complex...should have been put in when units were built but developer/contractor was prone to cutting corners (ask me sometime about his roofs with '20-year' fiberglass shingles laid with NO felt underneath). When I retired, 5 years later, we hadn't been called back to replace a single pump.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Consider a battery back up as well, if the power goes off you need it.
    jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Zoeller is my sump pump brand of choice. I like the cast iron frames, works 20+years without a problem. Also can get the parts kits to replace the float switch. IMHO they are the best! This shows some specs. https://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-na/p...tial/50-series
    I will second this. Very good pump.

Boolit Master

This may seem like a stupid thing to say, and it does say something about my intellect I suppose, but what ever pump you choose, make sure you keep it plugged in. It is a piece of equipment that is out of sight, and out of mind for most of us who have them. So always make sure you leave it plugged in. I will say it only happen once to me and I learned the hard way. A back-up power source such as a generator that can be pressed into service easily, or better yet an automatic start unit would be something to consider. These are extreme measures, but a flooded basement is not something you ever want to come home to.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."