Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS rock chucker

Boolit Mold

RCBS rock chucker

Just made a switch to a rock chucker supreme press from a lee classic Turret press and wow what a difference!
    It has a much smoother and more powerful action, and the clamming action is incredible. Just something I had to share

Boolit Buddy
    An old friend of mine has an RCBS rock chucker. Those are really nice reloading presses, especially for larger rifle cases.

Yes, A workhorse on many benches for decades. When I started back in the late 60’s it was the one to have.

My first bench mounted press was a Rock Chucker in the late 70's. I can't recall a time since then that I didn't have one. I currently have two.

While there are other O frame presses out there that equal the Rock Chucker, I can't see giving mine up. They have always done what I expected of them.

Congratulations and enjoy yours.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Great press, but I DON'T prime on mine.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had one since the 70's. Its been cycled 10's of thousands of times. Still tight and smooth. I don't prime on it anymore but it did a good job, back when I did. I have the occasional spent primer escape but a piece of cardboard in the back of the primer tray helps. Its not as a big deal that some make it out to be. I don't mind a primer on the floor in the gun room but it could cause issues if you load in another room in the house.

Boolit Mold
    Is there a reason you don't prime on your presses?

Vendor Sponsor

Like lightman I bought mine around 1977-78. Many many 1000's of rds .. Still works great today
    got a Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles still use the chucker 90% of the time
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alicevirgin View Post
    Too easy to crush the primer!

Boolit Buddy
    The Rock Chucker has been my primary single stage for almost 20 years now. I use a hand primer off-press to seat my primers, but only because it is more of a "production mode" than one-by-one using the press.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I don't decap cases on the press because of primer debris , priming isn't so bad if I'm careful .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer to use a hand primer because I can do it while relaxing in the recliner and it lets me be around the family. I was always satisfied with the job that the press did priming.

Boolit Master
    Yup my Rock Chucker is a great press but the spent primer catcher sucks. Why RCB didn’t or won’t make a decent one is beyond me.

Boolit Master
    My Rockchucker was my second press. My first press spit primers onto the floor and was not very good for priming.
    I switched to hand depriming and hand priming. Since I got the RC in 1971 I have never had one primer in the floor or had a poorly seated primer.
    EDG

My first press was RCII. It was mistake to let it go when I bought a 550. I finally bought a Coax so it worked out. In retrospect, I should have kept it.

Boolit Master
    There are a couple of reasons I don't prime on the rockchucker.
    I gave up doing that way years ago.

First, it is slow.
    Second, you don't have a very good feel.
    Third. it is kind of in the way the way I have my presses set up.

I de-prime, then stainless tumble so that I get the primer pockets as well as the rest of the case clean before cases go in my dies.

I use an RCBS automatic bench primer. it is fast, has a good feel to it, and I look at every primer before seating it. The only exception to the bench primer is loading on my Dillon square deal. Even then, when doing .44 mags, they get primed on the bench primer. For some reason, I have a high primer every now and then with the .44's on the Dillon. Doesn't seem to happen with the others that I load on the Square Deal, only the .44's

Boolit Master

Of the 5 different single stage presses that I've owned, the RC IV is my go-to. I like the ergonomics and feel of the press, a lot. alicevirgin, it is not surprising to me that you're finding great success with yours too.

I agree totally that the spent priming catch is, meh. Doesn't bother me a bit. Once in a while, I run a tactical broom and dustpan around and under the loading bench. Takes care of those few rascally primers that try to escape.

I don't prime on mine. I prime almost exclusively using APS on the Pro 2000. Once in a while I'll use a hand primer for small tasks. There are better single stage presses for those that prefer to prime on a single stager.

I like the rock chucker myself. I don't Prime with it anymore but I used to and had no problem when I did.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by engineer401 View Post
    My first press was RCII. It was mistake to let it go when I bought a 550. I finally bought a Coax so it worked out. In retrospect, I should have kept it.
    I almost bought a coax. In the end I decided on the rc very pleased with it. Maybe one of these days I'll try out the coax.

Boolit Mold
    I do find it a bit in the way to prime using the rc compared to the lee Turret. That just means I need a bench primer or hand primer now hehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast