Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Rossi 62sac ejection problem and front sight replacement.

Rossi 62sac ejection problem and front sight replacement.

I have an early model Rossi 62sac, 16 inch barrel.
    Used this rifle at the 22 silhouette shoots last weekend. Fun match.

I started off good during practice but during the match completely fell apart.

My first problem, when ejecting spent shells I had about 7 rounds throughout the day that failed to eject. Basically the shell would come up but the carrier would stick half way up not ejecting the shell. Had this problem in the past on occasion but payed no notice to it due to just plinking. Ammo I'm using for the shoots is CCI standard velocity.
    Checked the rifle, nothing broken or bent, thinking it might be that I did not rack the slide fast/hard? enough?? If thats not it what should I look for??
    Going to take it out this weekend and check to make sure it's not an OP error.

Second problem, the front sight, kind of hard to see it lined up in the rear sight when the suns shining on it. It's just a standard thick black blade front sight, no bead no shade cover. Wondering if a marbles blade with a white or gold dot might make things a bit better?
    Kind of have the cards stacked against me with such a short sight radius to begin with.
    But hey bought the thing 30 some years ago and it shoots great when I can see the front sight!

Just a wondering?

Boolit Master
    I bought mine in 1980, and had to polish out the hole in the carrier, as certain brands the rims were a bit larger, and would not slide all the way to the back, and the bullet nose would not clear the magazine tube. If you take down the gun, try inserting every brand of cartridge that you use into the carrier, and see if some show resistance. I used a drill bit wrapped with emery paper to polish mine.

As to the sights, mine must be wore out like yours, I used to shoot striped gophers and flickertails easy at 100 yards, not any more, now maybe 30 on a good day! Tauras sold a tang sight for that little rifle shortly before they quit making the M-62, they are hard to find, but help a bit with the sight radius. I've killed a pile of trapped coon with mine, my favorite .22, wish they still made them, Jim

Boolit Master
    My 62SAC was my very first rifle so is dear to my heart (older brothers' first gun was a Win 94/22, that bugger ); I know their case ejection can be borderline unless the action is worked briskly, so my first thought is that your rifle might be able to use a good detail strip & clean to minimize resistance of the mechanism ?

Also, the front sight blade on my Rossi was cut poorly so ended up replacing it with a nice fat Taurus blade that my gunsmith checkered & green-sight-painted. Now that Skinner has come out with a wonderful brass blade for the metric dovetail, I would almost certainly go that route instead.

Hope this helps some, and please let us know how it turns out if you do something. I did try the Taurus tang sight option but wasn't happy with it (too sloppy), so went for the Marbles upgrade. A bit spendy, but IMO the best solution.

Boolit Master
    I had one, really liked it but it was very unreliable. It would feed great one day and the next day would ham every other round. Traded it off towards a Marlin lever action. Todd/3leg

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    I had one, really liked it but it was very unreliable. It would feed great one day and the next day would ham every other round. Traded it off towards a Marlin lever action. Todd/3leg
    This ones a keeper. Picked it up close to 30 years ago as a dilapidated parts gun at a show for $5, no wood, blueing was gone and missing it's mag tube. But the bore was about perfect.
    Me and my Dad made a forearm out of a chunk of wood, fitted an old win 94 buttstock to it, looked awful but functional, made a mag tube out of a brass curtain rod with wood dowels for the ends, used a mag spring out of dads junk pile and doused it in cold blue.
    Have put many miles of fun through it. Still plenty left in it, I can deal with the occasional jam, just takes a second to clear but that front sights got to go!

Took the Rossi apart tonite for cleaning and inspection.
    Found the carrier spring to be weak, weak to the point it would barely hold up the carrier. Pull the carrier all the way up and theres quite a gap between the edge of the spring and spring pad.
    Gave it a bit of a tweak and now holds the carrier up fine and springs back like it should.
    Ordered a couple of new springs from Numrich to replace the old one once it starts jamming again.
    Ran a dozen snap caps through it several times and not a hitch.
    Will run a box of ammo through it tomorrow and see how it does.

Was looking at my sons navy arms 73 rifle, just put a marbles front sight on it a while ago, the original looks just like the one on the Rossi, measures out the same. So ordered a marbles front sight for it, same height between the three. So that should make the sight picture a bit better than what I had.

Thanks for all the great input guys!