Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Boolits and bullets for 358 Winchester

Boolit Master

Boolits and bullets for 358 Winchester

I have a 358 Winchester coming soon and plan to load mostly cast boolits. I have the Noe 360-200FN (rcbs), the NOE 360-310 Thumper, NOE 35 XCB, and the MP 360-225 hunting boolit mold, as well as several .360 pistol boolit molds, one of which is the NOE 360-180 wfn.

So I'm covered in molds for now and hope to get some good, accurate loads worked up.

I also have a bunch (500) of the Nosler 200 accubonds set aside for higher velocity/ longer range shooting and hunting, as well as a box of hornady 200 SPs.

Alloys for the cast are going to be 50/50 WW/Pb, WW or some mix thereof. I also have a bunch of range lead and some linotupe of I need harder boolits.

Any suggestions from those experienced with the 358. I have several powders in the desired burn rate range already, so I'm good there as well.

Anyone keep j-bullets loaded for their 358 or has everyone gone strictly cast in their rifles? I was wondering how the accubonds might perform out to 250 or 300 yards.

I expect to be able to work up a 2k fps cast load fairly easily, and would hope to push further. The barrel is a 1 in 14 Krieger, so it should do ok at the higher velocities. My concern is the thumpers subsonic, if they dont work, then oh, well, I'll have to push them faster or someone here can pick up a discounted RG2 mold.

Thanks, everyone, just wishful thinking/hoping on the my part as I await my 358. Hopefully, before deer season, Woohoo!!!!!

Vendor Sponsor

"I have the Noe 360-200FN (rcbs), the NOE 360-310 Thumper, NOE 35 XCB, and the MP 360-225 hunting boolit mold"
    Yes you have cast bullet hunting molds covered
    Attachment 223830 This is my favorite
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Smoke,

That is very nice. I like the velocities your getting, also. I expect to go with a WW alloy/hardness to get above the 2000 fps window. I don't have any IMR 4166 to try, but do have some AA2460, Benchmark, IMR4320, Varget, IMR4064, and a few other powders. Too many powders and not enough time. Luckily, when the weather cools a bit, my berm is 95 yards from my reloading setup, so I can load and shoot without having to schedule an afternoon to go to a range.

But that is very impressive. If I can get above 2200 or so, I won't need to use the j-bullets for any normal hunting distances.

Thanks, again. I am very anxiously anticipating getting the rifle up and running now.

Brad

Vendor Sponsor

Notice that all the rds are left of the center dot on the paper target
    so right after shooting the paper I moved to my 200 yd 11" wide 22" tall steel man sillywet
    that's 4 shots in the left and then adjusted scope for a final center shot
    I would say the load is pretty accurate at distance
    Attachment 223835
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

My 358win is very accurate with the RCBS 35-200-FN and IMR3031. Loaded to 2150fps with 50/50 +2%.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Notice that all the rds are left of the center dot on the paper target
    so right after shooting the paper I moved to my 200 yd 11" wide 22" tall steel man sillywet
    that's 4 shots in the left and then adjusted scope for a final center shot
    I would say the load is pretty accurate at distance
    Attachment 223835
    You bet it is!!!!

I just hope I can get a load to shoot that good at or near that velocity. Never had a problem working up 3/4" or less loads with factory rifles and j-bullets, but cast is another ball game. I've had good luck with pistols shoot cast accurately, but the few times I've tried cast in rifles, I didn't have a lot of success. The rifles were purchased used and had never been proven with any bullets or ammunition. I think that the No.1 45-70 just was not a good candidate for what I wanted to do with it. 50 yard groups were not impressive. And the 357 herret in a contender pistol, just didn't seem to work out well either. I wanted a rifle barrel, but settled for the pistol and just didn't shoot it well. I've gotten kinda spoiled with rifles that shoot bug-hole groups and anything else is a little less than satisfiying.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by White Oak View Post
    My 358win is very accurate with the RCBS 35-200-FN and IMR3031. Loaded to 2150fps with 50/50 +2%.
    White Oak,

Its nice to know that a 50/50 - 2% will make the 2150 range with accuracy. I have some boolits cast with that approximate alloy already. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a Mountain Molds 260 gr boolit cast with 16/1 and p/c
    rite around 21-2200 fps
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Lee .358 208 gr bullet-- H322 38.5 @ 2205 in a Weatherby vanguard 22" .358 Win

200 gr Flex tips are very for deer-- and H322

For lighter big game the Speer 180 grain FP is excellent. For all big game, the Speer 220 and Sierra 225 gr bullets are outstanding. I've tried the Speer 250 gr bullet on targets, but think they are too heavy for the 358 Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by White Oak View Post
    So was mine, that load shot better at 100 yards than the Sierra 225 grain boat tail soft point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

That NOE clone of the RCBS bullet worked well for me with 40 grains of IMR 4320.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    White Oak,

Its nice to know that a 50/50 - 2% will make the 2150 range with accuracy. I have some boolits cast with that approximate alloy already. Thanks.
    As to Long range a 35-200 started at 2,150 is still going 1550ish at 200 with over 1,100 foot pounds energy. 200 is about all I will ever need in this part of the world.
    I have not shot a deer that far with mine but I have killed at several 80-100 with it and my 356 Win loaded to the same velocity. All have been complete pass thru.
    My bullets weigh 218 Gas-checked and lubed. I had Eric at Hollowpoint mold service open the drive bands to .361 I size to .360
    Last edited by White Oak; 07-20-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Cast Hunter

I get great accuracy @ 2000 fps with H4895 pushing the Saeco 352.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member