Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1911 vs xdm?

1911 vs xdm?

I decided I want a 45 cal pistol. My buddy took me to the range and I got to try a few. I liked the full sized 1911 and the xdm the best. I plan to shoot cast through whatever I buy. ThisI would mostly be a shooter at the range, but I could see woods carry or home defense as well. Concealed carry seems unlikely given the size of these pistols. Any particular reason I should pick one over the other? The 1911 I have in mind is a rock island tac model.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Ruger SR1911 and it shoots cast extremely well. I keep it full of jwords for home defense when it is not along for the ride. I have also carried it along into the whitetail woods.
    I shoot mostly the Lee 452-320 TL version , both TL and PC'D . However it likes just about anything I can feed it. ymmv - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Grand Master

Does capacity matter to you?
    1911- 7/8+1
    XDM- 13+1

What about trigger quality out of the box? 1911

What about weight? XD-M

It just depends on what you want. I enjoy my 1911's as range shooters, but for woods carry, I prefer the fantastic plastic as I don't care if they get knocked around, rained on, dropped, etc.

Boolit Master

Have both my XDm in 9mm does not like cast like the 1911 a lot more
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I have an XD-E and an XD mod2-tactical in 9mm as well as several 1911 pistols in both 45acp and 9mm. They all like cast just fine. In fact, they are quite accurate with it. Very close to the same group sizes as FMJ.
    All of them are capable of better accuracy than I can hold them.

1911's and XD's,glock's are different animals. 11's might ask for a little more maintenance.

however, i briefly owned a springfield TRP when i thought the ipsc classic class was for me lol. to me,best and most reliable 1911,and if i had to get another one,springfield would get my money .my good buddy own les bauer 1911's mainly. lol. not in the same class.

Boolit Master
    I would first want to know what experience you have with pistols. If not very much then I'd go with the XDm (or Glock, Sig, HK, etc). Try them out and pick the one that feels the best. Each has a slightly different grip shape and trigger action. For example, I have never liked the Glock grip shape.

But, this is coming from someone who was a lifelong 1911 .45 user until a couple years ago. My current pistol choice came down to the HK VP9 and the XDm in 9mm. I did end up with the HK. So, my opinion for plastic guns may be biased.

My sole pistol is a Bulgarian makarov. Lots of revolvers and shoot them lots. I am coming to the realization that a nice 1911 may be out of my price range, though.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

You will be amazed at how well a lower priced 1911 can shoot. I own mil-spec models and match grade models and can't tell the difference in group size.

Boolit Master

Hmmm. . .an all-steel gun from a system designed to be detail stripped using nothing but its own parts for tools and single parts doing multiple jobs, with an ergonomic single stack grip that actually conceals quite well vs. a plastic gun, held together by roll pins, with three extra parts added to the inventory just to tell you there's a round in the chamber, and a double stack grip that's roughly the width of a World Cup soccer field. . .

The word "genius" doesn't get thrown at Mr. Browning for nothin.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Middle America, Missouri was moved to east of I-435
    1911 or XD?
    Before we get to the weapons, the load/s. I have carried 200 gr SWC lead for years. Yes, as a city COP I was required to carry the cities revolver (back then) but could carry my choice of weapon as a second weapon as long as I qualified with it. And I carried a 1911A1. Nothing gets someones attention like looking down the bore of a .45. Back then the biggie was 'Super Vel'. My lead SWC measured up quite well. A proven weapon with a proven round.
    Now to the weapons. The XD is smaller, lighter and carries more rounds. It is a 'striker' fire weapon. If you don't know what that is, do a Google search. Doesn't amount to a pinch but they never have a 'good' trigger pull in my hands. The 1911A1 is a solid, heavy, strong weapon. Only 7/8 rounds in the magazine. So which is better? The answer is a strong , 'YES', both but for differing uses. For personnel protection, it comes down to personnel preference. For target use, I would go with the 1911s. For day in, day out carry, the XD.
    As for me. Well, I still carry and carry a XD Sub Compact in 45. It is easy to carry with out being seen. I used to carry my 1911 in the small of my back but that was before I got fat and that 40 MM kidney stone.
    A person's selection is that person's selection and is not for others to determine. Yes, some old fools (that's me) can give opinions and you should look at what is said but make up your own mind. Try them and test them and make your own determinations. Good luck in your quest.

Enjoy,
    OSOK

Boolit Buddy
    Is there any certain reason why you want a pistol in 45ACP?

Boolit Master
    I shoot a 1911 in 45 acp and a s&w shield in .40 s&w. The 1911 is much easier to shoot well. The Shield is better for concealed carry. What is your intended use?

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    My sole pistol is a Bulgarian makarov. Lots of revolvers and shoot them lots. I am coming to the realization that a nice 1911 may be out of my price range, though.
    Check out Rock Island /Armscore. Got a 1911 9mm on sale for $399 + tax. Good solid guns with surprisingly good triggers.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    If you REALLY carry a pistol A LOT, weight will become a factor, simplicity also rears its head. I can field strip a 1911 blind-folded, owning a few. If I am horseback or in a vehicle I carry an aluminum framed Para 14-45. If I will be on my feet for hours, I carry a lighter pistol, I have an XDM and it works, very simple. I like the grip safety on the XDM,XDS over the Glock (just me). The 1911 is a sophistcated pistol that requires much more training and practice than the XDM or similar pistols for real proficiency. Much like a DA revolver, the XDM is a grab and shoot. I carry a little light XDS 45 around the farm. CCI 45 shotshell chambered for rattlers, 185 Silvertips in the magazine. I shoot 155 SWC in the 45 for fun. I don't really find much difference in accuracy between the 1911 and the XDM. Practice, practice, practice whatever you choose.

Boolit Master
    The 1911 is a sophistcated pistol that requires much more training and practice than the XDM or similar pistols for real proficiency.
    Not so sure about that. I was a revolver guy that wanted to delve into a semi-auto. I took to the 1911 like a duck to water. The only thing that took some getting used to was the thumb safety but after a few sessions it comes off in a natural motion upon clearing leather. I have several semi-auto pistols now, mostly tupperware, but don't feel that they are any easier to shoot well than my 1911.

I always shoot my 1911 better than I do my "plastic" pistols. I think it is the trigger more than anything else.
    My 1911 pistols have triggers at 4lb and under. The plastic guns are at 5lb and up.

I have had two of the Rock tactical models. Great guns. I now have three 1911s and a Smith M&P 45c. Don’t overlook the Smith. About the size of a Glock 19, and with a plastic frame it’s fairly light. Granted, it’s not a 1911, but it feels great in the hand, is accurate, and fun to shoot. It can also be concealed pretty well. Do yourself a favor and look at one before you commit.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...