MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 93 Mauser extractor prob

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    Gentlemen, is it the area where the arrow is that needs filed? Or, is it the outside edge of extractor? Randy.Attachment 223836

Yes.

Filing that inside lug will allow the extractor body to lie closer to the bolt body, and thus not bind against the inside of the action - IF it's the proper extractor.

BTW, all Mauser extractors are factory designed to allow the cartridge case rim to rise upward as the cartridge is fed from the magazine (why they are referred to as CRF - controlled round feed), and should need no extra work.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Look directly at the face of the extractor, head on if you will, you will see the bevel on the edge of the extractor. That bevel is what slips into the extractor groove on the cartridge. After you get the extractor to fit down in to the groove in the bolt, that bevel will need opened just enough to let a cartridge slip under it. With a new manufactured collar that has to be split, a new blank extractor it takes me maybe a half hour to fit it EXACTLY right. I'll see if I can get another picture of the bevel, but it is the only ground bevel on the extractor right on the edge of the claw.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Yes.

Filing that inside lug will allow the extractor body to lie closer to the bolt body, and thus not bind against the inside of the action - IF it's the proper extractor.

BTW, all Mauser extractors are factory designed to allow the cartridge case rim to rise upward as the cartridge is fed from the magazine (why they are referred to as CRF - controlled round feed), and should need no extra work.

I've done a couple from BLANKS and they needed extra work to be 100% To tight or not enough rounded off on lower corner, feeding issue, too loose and you are screwed, it can jump the extractor over the rim and you can run it like a push feed, not correct for CRF. One too loose may feed and extract perfectly in the standard firing position, but may not layed to right or left and almost never upside down over your head like one set up correctly.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0718181716-01.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	223875 The part of the extractor that folds down over the face of the bolt is the CLAW on a claw extractor, the bevel is the bottom edge of that claw that slips into the extractor groove of the cartridge, notice the shape, very very little at a time.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, here is a better pic I hope. Randy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail 100.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	223902

Liberty Tree collectors has original Spanish 1916 extractors for $22 a piece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Texas by God, may have to order another. I believe I ordered from Numerich. It stated the extractor had been inspected, and was serviceable for a 1916 Mauser. Just to make sure I understand, remove material from the entire extractor on the underside. Then fit the claw?

The newest picture shows how far out the extractor sits with a cartridge, It does not without a cartridge inserted. It looks like the picture swheeler provided. Randy.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, here is another pic. Randy. Please be explicit about where to remove material. RandyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	223903

Boolit Master
    If the Bolt and extractor assembled fit into the receiver , Without a cartridge in the bolt head, and they slide in fine with No Binding.
    But then Bind once you put the case in the bolt head, then the part that is Too Long , Is the part that goes up against the case in the extractor Groove on the Cartridge.
    The cartridge in the bolt under the extractor is pushing the , End of the extractor out, and it looks like in your pictures the extractor is then no longer square to the end of the bolt ,and maling the Extractor Bind because it is too wide.
    Do Not try to Thin the Extractor to solve your problem.
    Fit the Claw to the case Head.
    And that should be done By Hand with a Round Hand Stone, Not a Dremmel tool.

You can also use a M1903 extractor if you have problems finding a Small Ring extractor

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, as usual Larry knew exactly what the problem was. Took about 15 minutes with a slip stone, and a fine file to correct. I removed (cautiously) a little material from the inside of the hook/bevel. Thanks to all, and especially Larry. Randy.

Boolit Master
    phoooeee! I was getting exhausted and losing sleep over this one. Glad its good to go!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Thank you Randy for the kind words.
    But the same issue was brought up by several of the other members if you go back and read the posts.
    The only thing I can take credit for is, I pointed out a simple way to check and identify , or Isolate the problem.
    The other members also do not know that I had Emailed you pictures of how to check and verify if this was truly the problem.
    I wish I could have posted those pictures on the forum for all to see.
    But the forum wont let me download and post more pictures to the threads, except the ones that are already downloaded.

And now you have a custom fitted extractor. Pay yourself well, my friend.

Boolit Buddy

Texas by God, I sure do have a custom fitted extractor. Thanks to all who have helped. Larry did indeed email me pics. Here they are. Along with a quote from him.

"Here is how you check to see if the case is pushing the extractor out too fat and how much.
    The case should do in snug , but not push the extractor out.
    You are taking about .001 to .005 expansion with the case in the bolt face."

archive(8).zip

Boolit Master
    Thanks Randy.
    But I need to start using Spell Check when I am Emailing after an all night concrete pour.
    But you guys get the point.
    I hope this helps others also

Boolit Grand Master

Randy sorry about that thought you had one these, a blank extractor for mauser from Brownells or Midway.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98 mauser extractor blank.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	224183
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

swheeler, no problem at all. I'll take any help I can get. Randy.

Lags- are there any modifications needed to use a 1903 Springfield extractor on the 1893/1916 Mauser bolt? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    It has been so many years ago since I used on on a small ring Mauser,, but they fit pretty dang good.
    And then I saw the same thing mentioned as a fix in Gunsmith Kinks 2.
    I would go try it for you, but Small rings I still have, but sold off all of my 1903's before I moved here from California

That is useful knowledge, thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast