RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 93 Mauser extractor prob

Boolit Buddy

93 Mauser extractor prob

I am trying to figure out a problem I am having with my 93 Mauser extractor. I was fitting the extractor, and discovered on the eject stroke the extractor binds before it ejects.

It is literally to large (swollen like) with a shell under it to withdraw far enough to eject, or remove the bolt from the receiver.

What am I missing? Do I need to thin my extractor? Thanks, Randy.

Boolit Master
    Simple ,reduce the sharp edge of the claw (carefully) until it clears properly.Sometimes the ring on the bolt is also sprung,and IMHO,there is no more problematic repair on a Mauser than the bolt ring.

Boolit Buddy

john.k, the extractor never gets a chance to clear the sharp edge of the claw. It is the outside/right angle area/corner that is getting stuck. Randy.

IDK what you did to "fit' it, so it seems a little clarification may be in order...……………...

The extractor does three things:

* Help guide/control the feeding of a round from the magazine into the chamber.

* Extract/pull the chambered round/brass out of the chamber via hooking the case rim on the RH side.

and

* Act as a pivot for the extracted brass when the bolt draws the case head back far enough for the case head to strike the ejector (on the LH side) hard enough to start the forward end of the brass rotating towards the ejection port & out of the rifle.
    (The ejector acts on the case head through a slot in the LH bolt lug)

Ergo, there are three areas to check:

1) The inside of the extractor's forward claw/edge for burrs and/or built up gunk.

2) The ejector's action (it pivots) and if it's tip is broken off or worn down.

3) That the ejector blade has sufficient clearance to pass through the slot in the LH bolt lug when the bolt is drawn back.

Last edited by pietro; 07-18-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

pietro, I was attempting to alter the claw so a round will fit under it and chamber. As I draw the bolt rearward with the extracted brass, the bolt draws the case head back, and binds because the extractor is literally swollen. The bolt cannot be moved enough far enough rearward, for the case head to strike the ejector due to the swollen extractor.

I also cannot insert the bolt with a round under the extractor. You can actually see the extractor pushed out. I need to know where to file to relieve the outward pressure when a round is under the extractor. Many thanks, Randy.

Boolit Buddy

pietro, as far as the three areas to check:

1) The inside of the extractor's forward claw/edge for burrs and/or built up gunk.
    I have checked and polished area.

2) The ejector's action (it pivots) and if it's tip is broken off or worn down.
    I have not noticed an pivot, no broken tip.

3) That the ejector blade has sufficient clearance to pass through the slot in the LH bolt lug when the bolt is drawn back.
    No issues here.

Clearance is the issue here, but not ejector clearance. It's the extractor clearance that is the issue. Don't know how to combat. Randy.

Boolit Master
    Is it bent?

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a blank new extractor that has not been fit to case head yet?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, the extractor is not bent. I extractor seems to be fit to case head. I cannot find a "how to fit extractor" on the internet. It holds case fine. It ejects fine if I use a small FH screwdriver. I cannot test because the bolt binds just prior to eject point. I don't know what to file/fit. Randy.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, is it the area where the arrow is that needs filed? Or, is it the outside edge of extractor? Randy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	223836

Boolit Grand Master

Yes that looks to high and is causing the bind I would guess, once you fit that correctly then the claw/ bevel will need fit to case head. Where did you get the extractor, one of Midways NEW blanks?
    Charter Member #148

Did OWS give you a 98 extractor by mistake? The extractor should not bow out noticeably with a case in it. Relief at the point indicated won't help if the claw is too deep. I had a bent one once and I made it work by dremel drum sanding the outside bend till it fit. It worked until I got a replacement.
    I'll look at my SR tonight and holler back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Did OWS give you a 98 extractor by mistake? The extractor should not bow out noticeably with a case in it. Relief at the point indicated won't help if the claw is too deep. I had a bent one once and I made it work by dremel drum sanding the outside bend till it fit. It worked until I got a replacement.
    I'll look at my SR tonight and holler back.

There's way to much clearance between bolt and bottom of extractor, there is not that much with a cartridge under the lip of one that's correct.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe this will help, maybe not cell phone pictures not too good. SR extractor on bolt and with cartridge under extractor lip. You may have the wrong extractor or one that has never been fit, maybe even an extractor collar that is wrong?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SR.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	223840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case under lip.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	223841
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

swheeler, the extractor never has been fit, It was purchase from GPC. How do I fit it? Randy.

Boolit Buddy

Gentlemen, is it the small tab that fits in the notch on the bolt that needs to be filed? Randy.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes and then the bevel on the claw to cartridge head, the cartridge should slip under the extractor with enough force to hold the cartridge in place-CRF. make sure the collar wraps around the groove in the bolt as a slip fit also, especially if after market. I buy new manu extractor collars that are full circle, you have to cut between the tabs to make it a C to install.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

swheeler, thank you for input. When you say, bevel on the claw to cartridge head. Are you talking under the claw of the extractor. The whole claw, or only left? Randy.

Boolit Grand Master

This is the best I can do with cell phone. Bolt is in same position as your picture, no cartridge under claw as yours, note the extractor to bolt interface, that is what it should look like. I hope this helps youClick image for larger version. 

Name:	correctly fitted extractor mauser.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	223859
    Charter Member #148

Randy, I would try to find an original 1893 Mauser extractor and save that blank one for hard times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast