Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Astra 9mm Largo

Boolit Master

Astra 9mm Largo

I think I got a good deal. 1938 Astra, original box, 3 mags, cleaning tool, 11 boxes of ammo.
    $399.00
    Now, I gotta break it down and see what's what.

Judging by today's prices and the appearance of the pistol, I would say that you did get a good deal. Have you ever disassembled one before? It is a little tricky. You can use the extension on the bottom front of the magazine to push the shiny barrel bushing inward and then slowly turn the outside locking nut. The locking nut is held into the front of the slide by an interrupted lug arrangement. The exterior of the nut is serrated so you can get a firm grip on it. Rotate it slowly and carefully while keeping the barrel bushing pushed inward, and keep a firm grip on the nut and exert some downward pressure as the bushing is backed by the very powerful recoil spring, and if you lose your grip you'll be searching for flying parts. The slide is then pulled about half-way to the rear and you'll find serrations on the outside front of the barrel to grasp and rotate the barrel from it's mating lugs inside the slide until it is released and you can pull it out to the front. Note, if you can, the exact position of the slide when the barrel is released, because I've always found the trickiest part of the re-assembly to be getting the barrel back into the slide and rotated into the locked position. Replace the recoil spring, barrel bushing, and set the nut on top of the bushing so that it's notches and the nut's lugs line up. Then you can push strongly downward on the bushing with the nut and turn the nut until it snaps into place -- magazine extension not required to complete the re-assembly.

Wonderful pistols. Very accurate, and adequate cartridge. Just about a handloading proposition if you're not happy with the hardball and desire JHP ammo. My only criticism of the pistol is the tiny sights, but I've never done anything about it on mine. I can't tell from your photo, but much of the surplus ammo was corrosive. I think 1962 is about the dividing line on corrosive vs. non-corrosive Spanish-made military pistol ammo, with 1962 being questionable -- some is, some isn't. CCI made some nice JHP ammo, but unfortunately it is long gone off the market. But Starline makes some very nice brass. I'll bet this proves to be a gun you'll never sell.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the disassembling info. I saw one a year or so ago but passed on it. This gun and ammo was on consignment at a local shop five miles away. The ammo was selling locally at $25 per box last year, but I haven't seen any around here since. I'll just clean the heck out of it after shooting if this ammo is corrosive. Reloading is a definite option.
    This pistol is marked 9mm(38). How do they shoot with the 38 (acp)?

Boolit Master
    they shoot .38 acp very well. I use .38 super brass in mine only use .38 acp data though. they do throw brass far away. I have a case of the surplus ammo also a case of the cci largo. I use the rcbs 124 gr. runcinated cone bullet.

If you reload for it, try 125 gr 357" jacketed bullets and watch it outshoot most if not all of your existing pistols. They are very accurate guns even with a frosty bore(like all of mine had). And the quality of manufacture is stunning.
    A .50 AE empty case is a great takedown tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Well, I stripped it down and everything looks really good, but that is a tricky gun to reassemble. It 's definitely well made. I was wondering if the recoil spring had to be replaced, but I'd say it's plenty strong. Working the slide reminds me of those "test your strength" games at a circus. The bore looks really good. A little cleaning and oiling and I'm off to the range tomorrow.

I had one a couple years ago, also a Star and Destroyer carbine. I bought them off a guy who's
    Dad bought them mail order back in 60s from Kliens, same outfit that sold LH Oswald the Carcano
    he used on JFK. No ammo. I loaded up 38Super cases that I thinned the rim from front side. I had
    Win brand 38s cases and they were thicker and although it would cycle and fire I was afraid of
    breaking extractors. I shot the carbine a lot, would definately thump pigeons in the barn. Just
    used FMJ bulk Rem 9mm bullets. Was going to attempt some adjustable sights on the Astra but
    traded them off before I got to it.

Boolit Master
    Looks nice. My uncle got one back in the 1960's. I fired it a few times. After that, I became a revolver guy. About 20 years ago, I ran across a nice one at a good price and picked it up. The surplus Largo ammo that was sold cheap in the 1960's had dried up. I ended up using .38ACP and .38 Super brass. It worked pretty good. Not great, but good enough. I tried a few other cases with poor success. Now that Starline had 9mm Largo cases, that is the only way to go.

The Astra is certainly interesting, but not very practical. The sights are pretty much non-existent. The slide is VERY difficult to pull back (being it is a blowback action it has a very heavy spring and very little area to grasp the slide). Because of the heavy spring, the felt recoil is MUCH heavier than a similar weight Star 9mm Largo that I have. Controls are small and difficult to manipulate. But, it is fun when the pressure is not on.

Boolit Master
    remember it is a blow back action not a locked breach. so if there is any wear on that spring it will batter the action. a new wolf spring is cheap insurance.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a set of springs from Wolff. It makes sense. I have 5 Winchester Self Loaders (blow backs) and I replaced the springs on 3 of them.
    Any way to find out the date of this gun? The gun shop said 1938 but the paperwork and the box it came in can't be that old.