Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: 45 GAP in 45 ACP firearm

45 GAP in 45 ACP firearm

https://www.starlinebrass.com/
    45 G.A.P. Brass (Small Pistol primer)
    45 Glock, 45 Glock Auto Pistol
    0.752 - 0.758 O.A.L.

This .45 Auto based case is designed for the 45 Glock Auto Pistol just recently released. Should not be used in firearms chambered for .45 Auto.

Does anybody here know of a reason why the GAP case shouldn't be used in 45 ACP revolvers with moon clips?
    Last edited by Tatume; 07-17-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Too short... the firing pin will drive the short case into the chamber and may or may not set it off. If it goes bang while not fully supported by the breech bad things can happen. This is the same as excess headspace in a rifle. Blown primers gas leakage ect.

I realized that as soon as I walked away from the desk. My poorly formed question has been updated. I'm thinking of using GAP cases on a Dillon XL 650 so I can load 38 Special and 45 GAP without changing the primer handler (which I find to be tedious). The 45 ammo is for a S&W Model 625 revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/
    45 G.A.P. Brass (Small Pistol primer)
    45 Glock, 45 Glock Auto Pistol
    0.752 - 0.758 O.A.L.

This .45 Auto based case is designed for the 45 Glock Auto Pistol just recently released. Should not be used in firearms chambered for .45 Auto.

Does anybody here know of a reason why the GAP case shouldn't be used in 45 ACP revolvers with moon clips?
    They will work with moon clips, but keep in mind that factory loaded 45 gap is a high pressure round. The cylinder walls on the S&W 45 acp models is not all that thick, and even thinner where the bolt cut is. You should definitely avoid using GAP rounds in a pre model number Smith revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I realized that as soon as I walked away from the desk. My poorly formed question has been updated. I'm thinking of using GAP cases on a Dillon XL 650 so I can load 38 Special and 45 GAP without changing the primer handler (which I find to be tedious). The 45 ammo is for a S&W Model 625 revolver.
    Small primer 45 ACP cases are easy to find, I found them easy to get when large primer cases seemed to be unavailable.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, if you want to swap some GAP brass for SP 45acp brass just let me know. I prefer getting it dirty as shot, but all of my 45acp is deprimed, super shiny and I think even roll sized.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't see why it would not work in a revolver. Like shooting a 38 special in a 357 magnum chamber. I'm not sure if you could load Gap cases in a acp die set though. The newer sets say gap on the label but the older ones may not crimp. Small primer 45 actp is easy to come by. Most older shooters hate it and scrap it or just hoard it back for hard times. I have somewhere between a cup and coffee can that I would give you.

Boolit Master

Communist Plot small pocket .45 ACP brass is becoming pretty easy to find - CCI Blazer Brass uses it, as does pretty much any of the lead-free indoor range ammo, so you don't necessarily need to go looking for G.A.P. cases. (You could just stand next to me while I'm on the range scrounging and swoop in every time I yell "MATERNAL FORNICATOR!" when I encounter something that messes with an established 100+ year old system before I chuck it into the weeds.)

Not sure how the internal volume compares, but G.A.P. is about the same length as .455 Webley. If you wanted to come up with a 600 fps Bullseye load, the little case might burn the smaller charges more consistently in your moon-clipped wheelie.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Small primer 45 ACP cases are easy to find, I found them easy to get when large primer cases seemed to be unavailable.
    They're very easy to find in a Dillon if you buy range brass. EVERYTHING comes to a sudden halt. I finally got it all culled out.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Well it should work , but 45acp small primer is easier to come by then 45gap most of the time . I find the small primer in a square deal b when seating primers and have soldered a handle on button to remove easier so I can clear brass at powder and bullet seating stations , what is worse is the primer that pops the end off leaving the ring in pocket , have had quite a few of them lately.

I load 45gap and have a fair amount of brass stashed for it, but always look for more , and I have a coffee can full of small primer 45acp I have removed from my brass stash of 45acp .
    As for the pressure I load 45gap with cfe pistol gets velocity but pressure stays lower , load shown for 200 grain gap was same as 45acp though the bullets were different brand , and as to loading gap on acp it works , same die set on the square deal b just adjusted different .

Update: After much thought I decided to upgrade one of my Dillon RL 450 presses to automatic primer feed and automatic powder dispensing. I'll load 38 Special on it, and leave the XL 650 set up for large primers. I'm only shooting a few hundred of each per week, so with the upgraded RL 450 I should be able to keep up.

Again, thanks to everyone who offered to help me with small-primer 45 ACP cases.

Sincerely, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

While I've not tested the theory; I've read many times that the extracter will hold a 45 ACP round tightly enough against the bolt to enable consistent firing. Sounds reasonable...

FWIW; here in Oregon, 45 ACP with large primed brass outnumbers small primed brass by about 50-1. That's range pick ups and new brass in stores...
    My Anchor is holding fast!