PBcastcoReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: anyone using hbn!

Boolit Mold

anyone using hbn!

hello i was recently told by a fellow reloader that he was using hbn to gain 100fps in his powder coated bullets. ive done a little research but have only noticed people using it with jacketed bullets. i guess its as easy as retumbling after the pc has cured. or are there specific quantities or techniques.

link to
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/boron-nitride/

2nd post for me btw. yay

Boolit Master

Interesting but never heard of it, might make for a nice bullet lube aditive.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I mixed small amounts in with my bullet lube when I made a batch to experiment with no faster but was cleaner

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using it with powder coated gas checked bullets for 3 years now according to the 2015 date on the HBN bottle. I've also added to lube(no value I could determine) and used on a patch to condition the bore, helped with getting HBN back into the barrel after cleaning to bare metal. I can not prove any velocity gain(I live in a temperate climate ) What I have proven to myself is that with a barrel that has HBN fouling present and shooting HBN coated bullets first shot fliers are eliminated completely. I coat mine differently than any I know of, I put 50 PC GC bullets in a small container, add a scoop of HBN ( 1.6cc Lee dipper cut off flush with the handle) add 1 tube of Daisy 4.5mm steel air gun shot, tape the lid on container and tumble in vibrating tumbler for 30 minutes. Load and shot from a well cleaned barrel, once conditioned a single dry patch is all that is needed after a 100 round session.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Hexagonal Boron Nitride is an extremely fine super slick ceramic powder, which should be handled with great caution. Particles smaller and a human pore, it can enter the skin and can be easily inhaled. Since it can be carried into the grain of steel, a common use is impregnate gun barrels with HBN to increase their longevity and reduce friction.

I personally treated some steel bullet molds several years ago with HBN as an aid in releasing the bullets, which it did. But due to the hazards of the substance I decided it best to stop playing with it.