Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: In search of the perfect 32acp standard weight mould.. And can someone do this?

Boolit Master

In search of the perfect 32acp standard weight mould.. And can someone do this?

I am looking for a mould around the mid 70 grain weight, that has the longer nose profile of standard 32acp bullets. It does not seem to exist, but this thread details making what looks like the perfect bullet for 32acp. It involves milling the top off a standard Lee mould. I lost access to the mill that a buddy had years ago, so I can't do it. I guess I could bubba the large portion off with a file and side guides and finish with a 400 or 600 grit stone to maintain level. But, I know there are guys here with skills that could flattop a mould quickly for a reasonable fee...

My goal is the nose profile with no driving band outside of the case. My CZ seems to have a fairly tight chamber and I think this is the ticket.

This is the thread with the process description...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2ACP-Project-1

Please let me know if you are interested in trying it...

Thanks Matt

Boolit Master

I think I saw a you-tube video on this last year.
    Sorry I can't remember the author.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I think it is a mistake to cast bullets as light as 70 grains for the .32 ACP unless you have a pistol which requires a short nose and cartridge OAL. The Buffalo Bore load is closely approximated with the Accurate 31-077 FN bullet with either 5.9 grains of Alliant #2400, 3 grains of AutoComp or Unique or 2.1 grains of TiteGroup at 0.955" OAL. Search the previous threads, subject has been beat to death.

If you want a blunt, roundnosed bullet 31-087T is well proven.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-16-2018 at 11:43 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Network lag time dupe deleted.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I think it is a mistake to cast bullets as light as 70 grains for the .32 ACP unless you have a pistol which requires a short nose and cartridge OAL. The Buffalo Bore load is closely approximated with the Accurate 31-077 FN bullet with either 5.9 grains of Alliant #2400, 3 grains of AutoComp or Unique or 2.1 grains of TiteGroup at 0.955" OAL. Search the previous threads, subject has been beat to death.

If you want a blunt, roundnosed bullet 31-087T is well proven.
    I have been doing my load work up with the 311252 and 2.1 grains of TiteGroup. Average velocity around 946fps. The problem is that the shoulder on the bullet seems to cause my CZ70 issues unless I load to .949 to .950. These are a little short for the mag, but have not failed to feed yet. Of the jacketed rounds I have fired and chronographed, the longer ogive bullets provided the best accuracy at POA. The gun is built like a tank, but I am not sure that I want to beat it up with heavier bullets just yet. In my 10mm, 40's and 41 mag autos, heavy is king. But, the kids love shooting this one and it will get shot quite a bit. It likes velocity in the upper 900's fps, in the 800's it shoots like ****. It is also not as accurate with PC bullets. My bore slugs out around mid .309's and I have been reducing lead in a .310 H&I die to around .3106-.3107.

Believe me, I have been beating the search engine up here and reading a bunch of threads.
    Last edited by mattw; 07-16-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: corrected mould number

Boolit Master

I do agree, the 31-077B and the 31-075S are great looking bullets. The latter being a .312 cavity is almost ideal, less sizing down. I may have to try them at some point.

When you order molds from Accurate, each is cut to order, not shipped from "stock" so that you can specify alloy, nose diameter, band diameter, and whether you want nose tolerance negative to fit a tight throat, etc. My SIG P230 has a tight throat and my 1935 Berettas are large, so diferent bullets. Colt 1903 is different still and will feed flatnose with huge meplat, such as 31-095T.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I too load the #311252, sized .312 over 2.3grs of TITEGROUP.
    I cast of pure Linotype at 71.5grs average. Seat to start of OGIVE & TAPER CRIMP.

Works great in a COLT 1903, WALTHER French PP & a Pre-War PPK. My DAD shot the same Bullet with equivalent load of BULLSEYE in a BROWNING 1922.

Light Bullets are fine for me.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I also ran into problems with my CZ-50 with the 314249 that I borrowed, 85 grains I think. If the crimp groove was used the round would not fully chamber because of the exposed driving band. I had a Lee 100 gr round nose so I had the back driving band and groove milled off, it turned out to be 85 grains and worked much better.

I did the same thing with a Lee 113 grain flat nose to use in my 32 S&W Long, it now weights 100 grs. and doesn't have a GC. That one was done by hand, in fact I have done several by hand. You have to be careful , you only have one shot. Please don't ask me how I know.

Accurate 31-077B, 31-087B and 31-087T feed in all pistols I have tried them, as well as in the Vz61 Scorpion. Colt M1903 Type III and Beretta 1935 will feed large meplat bullets such as 31-095T. If you have trouble finding my data in the archives, PM me with your email address and I can send a .pdf copy of The Fouling Shot which has comprehensive data and background.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-21-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    GONRA uses Lyman 311252 79-80 grain for various olde and modern .32 ACP's.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I cut mine down with a course file then finished with a fine file and wet dry paper on a steel plate .took less than an hour and came out great. Lee molds are easy to modify. I cut the 93 grain down so it only had one line grove it ended up at 65 grains i am going to do the 100 grain to i think it will be even better . If you are unsure about keeping it flat a dial indicator is only about 10 bucks from HARBOR freight .just use a market to mark high spots.