Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing gun

Boolit Grand Master

Framing gun

I going to make a shed roof.
    Looking for a air framing gun.
    Probable be used for two or three projects.
    Don't want to spend lots on it.
    Couple of questions....
    1) 21 or 30 degree????
    2) Clip or whole head nails????
    3) Good brands????
    4) do they all use the same nails, or do you need to use the same brand?????
    I was looking at Hitachi, but see much cheaper one's at Home Depot.

Boolit Master

1) 21 Degrees but is a regional thing
    2) Whole head
    3) For you Harbor Freight and get the warrantee
    4) Get the nails for your HF nailer.

You are not a professional and this should last as long as you do
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

For that small project you might want to rent one. A 30 degree nailer will get into tighter corners than the 21 degree nailer. Some building codes require whole nail heads if building codes matter to you. I'm in a high wind area and full nail heads are required. I bought a set of four nailers from framing to brad size on sale at Lowe's about 5 years ago; seems like they ran about $150 for the set on sale. They have worked well for me in framing up 3 rooms in my shop. I'll post the brand name next time I go to the shop.

Prior to purchasing the Lowe's set I bought a HF trim nailer and ended up throwing it away. It wouldn't feed any brand of nails but then it wasn't a full size framing nailer.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

abunaitoo; I'm retired now but spent my whole working life in construction. Framing guns are like rifles and handguns. All sorts of prices and different qualities are available. If you want something you can use for a life time or resale when you're finished go for the better quality of tools. The Hatachi guns are top notch, I have a couple that are twenty or thirty years old and still use them around my place on occasion. That said, for small home projects most of the major brands work just fine. In general, I prefer the full round head nailers over the clipped head ones. Just stay away from the Harbor Freight junk and for around your place you'll be fine. Gp

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, Thanks
    Decided on a full head nail.
    I'll see if I can find some money in the couch, to get the Hitachi.
    Might as well get a good one.
    Friends will be happy with a name brand nail gun.
    Does the Hitachi use common nails or do I need to get Hitachi nails???
    What are the advantages/disadvantages between 21 and 30 degrees

Boolit Buddy

Yep, Harbor Freight. They sell a combination angle nailer. I've used it for many projects. Shoots 12d for framing and 8d for plywood. Havent had an issue with it yet. Probably wouldnt hold up to contractor duty, but it has enclosed my front porch and built 2 10x20 sheds complete without issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Hatchi nailers use the most common of generic strip nails. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Make sure you have an air compressor that can keep up. Nothing like getting in a groove and running out of air and having to wait. If all you have is a pancake compressor, consider upgrading or you’ll likely be frustrated.

Boolit Master

Check pawn shops, if that is an option nearby.

You can usually find one half price, with a 30 day guarantee.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

What Sweetpea said. Then, take it back when your done. Or not. Gp

Ditto on the Pawn shops, just make sure the let you test them before buying. I have a Porter Cable strip framer and a Bostich coil framing nailer. Both have done well. The coil nail shoots longer but is dang heavy after a short spell.

Oh and full head for sure..

Home Depot used to carry Porter Cable. The difference between angles is how tight of a corner or between studs/rafters it can go and still line up. I used my framer for a full basement remodel and a 12 x 14 shed and it seems to still be going strong.

Look at the end of the nailer box. It will tell the style, size and angle of nails it will take. Look around at that store and a couple of other stores for the nails. Stinks to get locked into an "odd" angle that isn't carried most places. I tend to buy nails where they are at the best price. Manard's has been a good source for the last couple of boxes.

Harbor Freight makes sense for tools you need for a single job and may use a few times more since you have them. If you find you use that tool a lot once you have one available then when the HF one dies buy a higher priced one. I bought a pancake compressor and brad, finish, and framing nail guns when I had a need from Home Depot, all Porter Cable. Doubt they are likely to wear out and I would be hard pressed if one broke down to justify buying a premium one. I have some good drill motors, but my last one was for pilot drill and to pack for camping trips. Harbor Freight. I just don't need another Makita or Skil so a small $20 single battery drill is fine. Look at use.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a cheap kit with twin tube compressor, framing and finish nailer 25 years ago... Masterforce Chinese built... has held up well through a LOT of use... cuple drops of oil before and after use and they last a lot longer...

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    For hobby work HF is perfect 30 degree. I have one and I have built 4 10x12 and 8x12 sheds with it.....no problems!

Why buy a pro brand when you will use it mabe 3X a year OR less.

And I bought their little pancake compressor also. Perfect macth-up. My dual cylinder 80 gallon “big boy” stays in the BIG shop!

Bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I've framed many houses. Used about every brand of framing nailer. Most were bought to accommodate the easiest to acquire and cheapest nails. Lowe's in my area quit carrying Grip Rite nails which produces generics for all brand nailers. The least expensive and most available is Hitachi. I only buy dichromate coated nails cuz they work for every situation. Rolair Bull compressor. Since I work on various things now, I carry Paslode Impulse framer and finish nailers in the truck toolbox for small jobs. I carry 12's and 8's with a couple fuel cells. Bought both Impulse nailers for $150 each at the pawnshop. They are good for small jobs but they can't keep up for day in day out work. Mine use the same battery so I can always keep a charge. Galvinized dipped nails only. Full round head so no fussing from an inspector. Never used Harbor Freight nailers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the best thing for me to do, is go to Lowe's and HD see what they have.
    How much the different nails are, and what I like.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

My manual said 3 drops of oil into air fitting of gun before each use, and repeat 1 or 2 times during day under heavy use. Only thing I had "fail" was the rubber foot cover wore through. Called and had a replacement a few days later.

I used a pancake compressor and it worked fine but then I'm not running more than one gun, and I'm not going as fast as production home construction speeds. I'm slower than the guys doing it for a living, especially those getting paid by the square ft. I am pretty sure the pancake would have a hard time keeping up with two people drawing off of it, especially for something such as roofing shingles where each shingle gets hit bam, bam, bam, bam. Then next shingle and repeat. I use a hammer when roofing so it wasn't an issue for me but I think it would be with air tools and two guys using a single pancake compressor.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Hand bang Em and save the money. If it's just a shed you can nail it off by hand faster than jacking around setting up and dragging the gun around.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I bought a $80 refurbished stanley bostitch and use the whole head nails. Mine didn't look used as it had never had a fitting ever screwed in or any wear marks on the ram or safety guide. Figured it was a closed store buyout or basically they replaced everything on it. Only reason for the wholehead is if you ever have to remove them the clipped heads always seem to break off. I used it to frame frame a complete basement, one shed, two bedrooms, two baths and a big room, framed walls in a 30x40 pole barn, various projects and loaned it out to friends and family who have used it more than me. Buy the big boxes of nails, and I get the whole head galvanized glue ones when available. That glue seems cheesy until you go to pull one of those nails out. Still works like new

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I switched to Paslode framing nailers many years ago and not dealing with a compressor or a hose to drag around or trip over makes them well worth it to me. They have worked well through many many houses and remodling jobs. You could always rent one if you only anticipate the one job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast