Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Need a Bulky Powder

Boolit Grand Master

Need a Bulky Powder

I'm a frequent poster on this website, but seldom venture away from the powders I know and use a lot. Now, I have a project out of my usual wheelhouse, and would like to ask for help from some of you who are more experienced than I with a wider variety of powders.

I want to load a bunch of target velocity 32 S&W L wadcutters, and metering the cat sneeze loads is a bit of a challenge, especially massive numbers of the tiny little charges of Bullseye (1.7 grain) that are my current load. Does anybody know of a bulky powder that will meter easily to give me the power I need? (Somewhere between mouse fart and cat sneeze.) I'd like something that meters consistently and has enough volume so that it will be obvious if I double charge or whatever.

I don't need any suggestions for higher power loads or suggestions to change to another caliber... I need proven information specifically for the 90 grain lead WCs and SWCs in 32 S&W Long. Thanks in advance!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You cannot get bulkier than TrailBoss!

I use it in 38SP and 45LC loads right out of the books with good success.

Check it out.

Bangerjim

Tightwad(not Titegroup) is a bulky powder that works well in target loads in 38 special so might work well in 32.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    RedDot or Clays are bulkier, but particle size is not conducive to accurately measuring small charges.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I found a chart that looked real helpfull at: w w w . t a c t i c o o l p r o d u c t s . c o m

For your use, you want fast burning and low density. I copied the fast burning section of the chart & copied it below. Sorry it looks smushed, I know of no easy way to keep the original column formatting in a forum post. I added in a powder description on most with density below 7.7 gr/cc.

With burn rate & density info, the next step is to consider metering. For really small charges, nothing beats ball powders. Any ball powder below would probably work. You probably want to stay as fast as possible if "clean burning" matters. If not, the lowest density would probably "work best" for your stated need. However, you may also be limited if you insist on factory data. If you are willing & able to simply load for a target velocity based on burn rates, you may find that "the path less travelled by" is great. If not, lack of load data may make you choose something not as good.

Just looking for fast, low density, and ball powder found the one item in bold.

Burn......................VMD..... Density
    Rate Mfg / Powder...(cc/gr)...(gr/cc)...Comments
    1 Norma R-1
    2 Vihta Vuori N310 .1214 8.237
    3 Hodgdon Titewad .1300 7.690 Economical 12 gauge loads (flattened spherical shotgun powder)
    4 Accurate Nitro 100 .1349 7.413 12 ga, low pressure & low load density handgun loads (flake)
    5 Alliant Bullseye .1064 9.398 Handgun, light 12 gauge target loads
    6 Accurate Solo 1000 .1331 7.515 12 ga, .38, .45 ACP, very clean burning (single-base, flake shotgun powder)
    7 Scot Red Diamond
    8 Alliant Red Dot .1413 7.077 Shotgun powder with small pistol loads (flake known for bad metering in small doses)
    9 Alliant Promo Economical, clean shotgun powder, pistol loads too (flake known for bad metering in small doses)
    10 Hodgdon Titegroup .0848 11.799 Uniform ignition, low charge wt, clean pistol powder
    11 Accurate No. 2 .0838 11.933 Developed for .38 Special, economical handgun loads
    12 Alliant American Select .1341 7.455 12 gauge target loads, cowboy action handgun, clean (flake by some reports
    13 Winchester AA Plus .1296 7.715 Discontinued
    14 Hodgdon Clays .1462 6.840 Clean & accurate 12 ga, .45 ACP, .38 Special (flake by some reports)
    15 Vihta Vuori N320 .1210 8.264
    16 Ramshot Competition Clean, fluffy powder for 12 ga clay & cowboy action
    17 Scot Royal D
    18 Winchester WST Target shotshell, standard velocity handgun, .45 ACP
    19 Hodgdon HP38 .0926 10.799 Economical low velocity .38 /.44 Special, .45 ACP
    20 Winchester 452AA .1171 8.540 Discontinued
    21 Scot 453
    22 Winchester 231 .0931 10.741 9mm, .38 Special, .45 ACP
    23 Ramshot Zip .0831 12.034 9mm, 38 Special, .40 S&W, .45 ACP
    24 IMR 700X .1343 7.446 12 ga, 16 ga, 38 Special, .45 ACP (flake known for bad metering in small doses)
    25 Alliant Green Dot .1262 7.924 Medium 12 ga & 16 ga, some handgun loads
    Last edited by P Flados; 07-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Red dot for my 32s

Boolit Master

Bulky that meters well? Very difficult bill to fill.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

FFFG. Just kidding. I agree with using Red Dot and a Lee dipper may give you better throws.

Green Dot with 32 case cut to determined length after finding charge. Wrap a large paper clip around the middle and solder or copper wire, use like Lee dipper.

Boolit Master
    I use Hodgdon's "Universal" as being like Unique but metering better in your type application. 1.9 grains of it would be about equivalent velocity to your 1.7 Bullseye. But looking at P Flados' chart gets me thinking i'd like to try that Tightwad out. Unfortunately my QuickLoad doesn't have Tightwad in its database, but it looks just a little faster than Bullseye for burn rate. Maybe 1.6 grains of it for a case a bit over half full?

And 2 grains of TrailBoss would fill the case plumb full, give almost the velocity you are getting with the Bullseye. Although my "dinky-charge" meter (an elderly Herter's pistol measure) doesn't like TrailBoss very well but does throw the Universal nicely.

In your position I'd get a pound of that Tightwad to try on the recommendations of tazman and P Flados.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I do not use a powder measure machine to meter TrailBoss. The flat big donut flakes just do not work in the feed mechanisms. But it IS VERY bulky!!!!!!!!!! Just what you are looking for. I have TiteWad and do not consider that bulky - - compared with TB.

I use custom-made dippers made from 22/9mm/38 cases cut to size and with a handle of welding rod silver solderd on. Measure/cut/measure/cut. You will end up with some very accurate and inexpensive dippers. I hate those yellow plastic *** things Lee makes. Have a set and never use them anymore. I use the custom dippers as described above for “light and accurate” loads of various powders.

I do not measure my loads with any ruler that involves rodent flatulants or furry mammal allergies!

Bangerjim

Boolit Master

I used to use Red Dot for my light loads. It is quite bulky. It does not meter well, and I've switched to Titegroup. Meters much more consistently with very light loads as in 2.0 gr.

Boolit Master
    Update to my previous post:

After I made the previous post, I went looking for posts indicating use of Titewad in a 32. I only found a couple.

In one of them, someone indicated good results using VV N310 for a similar power level 32 load. This is a small granule powder that was described as metering good in light charges. I have no clue how low the "good metering" extends down for a given measure. It is not real low in density but it is lower than many "traditional choices".

Load data for both Titewad and N310 is totally inadequate for most applications where their combination of burn rate, grain size and low density make them so interesting .

For my own low power 32 & 38 loads, I have used 700x, Red Dot, Promo and Titegroup. The 700x and Red Dot were "old inventory" that worked the same as Promo and are no longer part of my inventory. Promo performs ok but the minimum charges that meter ok are hotter than I wanted for both 32s & for my lowest power 38s (extra low recoil LCRx loads for the wife). Titegroup is working ok, but I am not completely happy given that the volume of air in the cases is many times the volume of the powder.

I have considered getting another powder for my low power loads, but that puts me into needing to swap a bunch of my medium power stuff from Promo to Titegroup just to burn my ~ 7.x lb inventory.

I'm with Richardb and use 2 grains of Red Dot in my pair of H&R revolvers. (732, 733, one nickle, one blued)

My old RCBS uniflow does well enough with the small cylinder at 2 grains.

But I do often make a custom measure for loads I load often.

Just about as fast and good enough for what I do.

Start with something small like a .380 case, sharpen the edges, the styrofoam trays they package meat on is where I start. I have a small pyrex bowl that I pour a handful of Red Dot into. Insert first foam plug, do a scoop, weigh it. I keep doing foam adjusting from thick to thin as needed until I get close, then switch to target paper or 12 pack cardboard.

When I am real close I will drop a drop of super glue into the side to keep it from moving. And put a bit of pressure on it till it cures.

I like to wrap a piece of wire around the extraction groove of the brass, give it a twist or 4, then tape it to a dowel or pencil handle. Last step is to use a piece of tape to make a tag for marking capacity and which powder.

I have a little drawer with about a dozen of these, some good, some half finished.

My last one made throws 6.5 grains of Red Dot which I find a pretty handy size.

Once you learn to find a technique that works for you, and do it the same every time.
    Accuracy is close enough, for me at least. YMMV.

I'll recommend a fixed rotor measure. I like my RCBS Little Dandy enough that I bought a 2nd body. I've used it with small charges of 700-x, Red Dot, Bullseye and Unique. Nothing newer.

Boolit Master

Once you get the use of those dippers down. I can throw chargers with it that are rather oddly consistent.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Over the years I've burned a lot of WW231 in the .32 Long. Meters well for me./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, on advice of Outpost 75, I tried my Little Dandy powder measure with a #00 rotor installed, and Voila! 1.7 grains of Bullseye. Sometimes the solution to our problem is just waiting to be picked up and used. Since Bullseye is tried and true (and I have a bunch of it) I think I'll try to see what this will do for me before I try reinventing any wheels. Thanks to all for your suggestions, and they will be considered in time.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"