MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullseye data check for H&G #68 200 SWC

Boolit Buddy

Bullseye data check for H&G #68 200 SWC

Someone please double check me on my bullseye information.

Lyman cast book #4 shows 4.9 - 6.0 gr bullseye for the Lyman version of H&G #68 200gr SWC with 6.0 being potentially most accurate. COAL listed @ 1.235.

I’m using the Lee version of the H&G #68.

My cast is HB alloy.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    6 grains seems a bit much. For many years used 4.2 grains for 25 yards timed and rapid fire, 4.5-4.8 grains at 50 yards and 5.0 to cycle an M1A1 Thompson.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have an older ALLIANT manual that lists 4.0 grains for target use with a velocity of 790fps. It works well in my 1911 pistols.

Boolit Master

Yes, your into is spot on, all of it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy

Thanks gents. I also have the #49 Lyman book, but figured that the information was from the same data base...miracle of the digital age.

Bullseye is a new powder (to me).

It strikes me odd that there is a 50% (4.0-6.0) delta for the useful charge range for this projectile. The reason for the inquiry is I’m preparing my initial ladder and the more I looked at books vs reported loads I began to question the publishers information. I don’t believe everything I read.

I’m guessing that Alloy is probably a significant factor for accuracy on the high end since it lists #2
    Last edited by WheelgunConvert; 07-17-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Pasted my own quote

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman's data is correct. I've measured the psi. I've shot 5 gr Bullseye under a lot of 190 to 205 gr cast in many different 45 ACP weapons for years with complete satisfaction, it is my standard 45 ACP load.

Five gr Bullseye under the 230 gr fmj was the standard load 100+ years ago and still is excellent today. Any measurable increase in psi, if any, with the same bullet cast of different alloy over the same charge of Bullseye will be negligible.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

Thank You sir. Bad information has worse consequences.

I like the sig quote by Tesla

The reason the starting load is so low, target shooters only need to punch a hole in paper and want as little recoil as possible as a rule. That 200 grain boolit with a light charge of Bullseye will do that reliably in most 1911 pistols.
    The heavier charges are for standard usages where more power is needed.
    You will find larger than normal charge ranges with Bullseye and many popular target cartridges.

Sometimes I will stray but I always come back to the 200 LSWC over 5grs Bullseye for my .45 autos. It just works!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Reply from Alliant:

Carroll,
    The data from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is tested load data that meets the same industry standard that Alliant goes by. That data is good as long as the bullet is the one listed in their data. We often refer to the Lyman data as Alliant has no tested load data for hard cast bullets.
    Thanks,
    Duane V.
    Technical Services Rep
    Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
    2299 Snake River Ave
    Lewiston, ID 83501
    1-800-379-1732

Now that is an interesting admission for a powder company to make.

Boolit Buddy

Yup, but they definitely have the CCI / Speer combos covered. Same store sales.

I’ve got my test ladders loaded every 0.2 from 4-5.9 gr. Was planning to get into them this morning but the arm suddenly developed a push feed error... the really aggravating type that the extractor doesn’t slip past the case rim but very random. No testing until I get that demon exercised.

Boolit Master

As you increase your powder charge your lead alloy becomes more critical. At 4.0 to 4.3 gn. you can get by with any alloy. For pure accuracy most Bullseye shooters load around 4.2 gns.

Boolit Buddy

This is a dedicated target arm. I would think HB should be fine. 4.2ish charge wt. has come up a lot from several respected directions. I always ladder and chrony new loads and components just to be sure it is consistent with the books.

If I need a bigger hammer, I’ll bring out the Anaconda 6. Not even close to the casull or the newer 460-500 sized hand howitzers,but it’s paid for and reasonably friendly to reload.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Sometimes I will stray but I always come back to the 200 LSWC over 5grs Bullseye for my .45 autos. It just works!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    What he said. It just works.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I use BULLSEYE in my LIGHT TARGET LOADS.
    I clip 3 coils off a factory spring. Cast from the LYMAN #452488 195gr SWC out of LINOTYPE. Drops at 191.5grs average. Load over 3.5grs of BULLSEYE. It's a great powder puff target load. But it doesn't stabilize until it gets to about 50ft. Otherwise it'll keyhole. And you have to use Regulation Targets. The hard white paper targets just tear instead of having a clean hole punch thru.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

5 gr Bullseye and the 200 gr HG 68 was my 1980's IPSC standard.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Now that is an interesting admission for a powder company to make.
    I never would have guessed. Kind of pathetic actually.

4.0 BE with a #68 loaded at 1.250 runs every gun I have, and runs them very well for the past 15,000 rounds.

Boolit Master
    It is well known, at least by some, that Wilson Combat used 4.8 gr Bullseye with the #68 or a very close copy to test the accuracy of their completed guns. Now they ise 4.5 gr. VV N310. If you have ever seen any of their test targets one will not question their decision.
    Bullseye shooters never liked the heavier loads of Bullseye and similar powders even if the loads shot better because the recoil ate into their time on rapid fire at the 25 yard line giving less time to make a good shot.

Again I mean no harm to anyone by my statements. I am not trolling, baiting or calling out anyone in anyway.
    I just made a statement based on my knowlege and nothing else. I hope you understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast