Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 PBcastco

Thread: Quick question...

Quick question...

Approximately how much lead could fit in a USPS medium flat rate box? I have someone offering me a box full in trade for a listing that I have in the classifieds, but he says he has no way to weigh it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Members can get 50 lb in one .

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Members can get 50 lb in one .
    Thanks! That gives me an idea at least.

Boolit Master
    There is a max weight for these boxes. No access to a bathroom scale? The post office can verify the weight of the box before shipping.

Boolit Master
    70 pound limit.

Boolit Master

Really depends on type of ingots. Since it's not being shipped, well fitting ingots filling the box could easily hit 100#. 70# is Max if being shipped. Most here ship at 65# to avoid going over the 70# Max. Good luck on the trade.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Moderator Emeritus

The Med flat rate box will hold more the 70lbs of ingots, but 70lbs is the maximum USPS will allow you to ship in one.

With tight fitting ingots, you can fit 20 lbs of ingots in a small flat rate box, and you can fit 6 small flat rate boxes in a Medium flat rate box...Therefore, a Medium Flat rate box should hold 120 lbs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks everyone!

There is another point to consider. It appears your shipper is not familiar with shipping lead. If he does not package the lead properly, you will receive an empty box.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    There is another point to consider. It appears your shipper is not familiar with shipping lead. If he does not package the lead properly, you will receive an empty box.
    This is a good point. He needs to double box it and tape up both boxes.
    You can fit one medium flat rate box inside of another one.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    This is a good point. He needs to double box it and tape up both boxes.
    You can fit one medium flat rate box inside of another one.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master

IMHO your mail person will be FAR HAPPIER with your simply shipping in FULL SMALL FR boxes...

At the cost of 7$ ish and a MED is 14$ ish while the med IS larger, its capacity is FAR more than 70# of lead...

OOH and JUDISIOUS use of FIBER PACKING tape is a good friend.

Just my observations.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Use fiberglass strapping tape twice around each side and the ends. That's in addition to standard clear wide packing tape to seal the box 1st. And use a screwdriver handle or Sharpie to burnish all the tape down....very important!

Shipping Pb in those small boxes can be very tricky. Any space will allow it to move around and punch thru a single-wall box. You must also fill any void with bubble wrap.

The boxes I pack are one solid puppy!

Boolit Grand Master

As the others posted, the USPS limits the weight to 70#. If its being mailed 70# needs to be boxed really well. You post mentions a classified ad. If this will be in person a full medium box can hold more than 70#. How much more depends on the shape of the lead. Sheet lead cut to fit the box will be different than un-melted wheel weights. Range scrap or ingots will be someplace in-between.

Just to update on this, I received the MFRB of lead ingots. The PO managed to get it from TN to IN without damaging the box or losing any of the lead, due entirely to the shipper's judicious packaging skills (Thanks TNsailorman). The shipping label read 68 lbs, that will give me a good start anyway