Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Double ended wadcutter

Banned

Double ended wadcutter

The topic of the SAECO #348 double ended wadcutter came up in another thread and it reminded me of this bullet. I've always heard good things about that bullet. I've shot a few over the years but don't own the mold.
    One thing that confuses me a bit is the number of people that talk about orienting the spure side forward when loading that bullet in a casing.
    I understand that would ensure a more consistent base but wouldn't that practice negate the advantage of using a double ended wadcutter? If you're going to spend the time/effort to orient each bullet as you place it on the casing, wouldn't a regular flat based WC be just as good at that point?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For precision shooting in custom PPC guns, orienting the sprue cut forward reduces 50-yard group size by about an inch. For close range DA random seating doesn't matter.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    How does the sprue forward loading of a double ended WC compare to a regular flat base WC with a button nose?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    How does the sprue forward loading of a double ended WC compare to a regular flat base WC with a button nose?
    I would suppose the sprue forward would give better accuracy, if tested for such. This is much like the nose pour rifles molds. The theory being a flat base with no sprue allows an even gas push down the barrel and out the muzzle. Irregular bases can allow more gas to escape that the muzzle on one side or the other, throwing the bullet off true.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    I understand the concept but if I'm going to the trouble of orienting each double ended WC sprue forward, wouldn't I just be better off using a standard flat base WC even though the sprue cut would be on the base?
    Or am I overthinking this?

I always assumed the advantage of a double ended wadcutter was to streamline the loading process.

I understand the concept but if I'm going to the trouble of orienting each double ended WC sprue forward, wouldn't I just be better off using a standard flat base WC even though the sprue cut would be on the base?
    Or am I overthinking this?

I always assumed the advantage of a double ended wadcutter was to streamline the loading process.
    No.

Placing any defect forward does the least harm. Placing the sprue cut forward provides a more uniform base.

Sometimes a sprue cut will hide a small shrinkage cavity which deforms nonuniformly when the base upsets upon discharge.

Orienting the sprue forward avoids that possibility.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    I understand that the goal is to have a perfect base and placing the sprue forward gives us the best chance of a perfect base.

What I don't understand is why make a double ended wadcutter? If we are going to orient the sprue forward why not just make a nose pour wadcutter ?

I would like to hear the answer to that question myself.

I understand that the goal is to have a perfect base and placing the sprue forward gives us the best chance of a perfect base.

What I don't understand is why make a double ended wadcutter? If we are going to orient the sprue forward why not just make a nose pour wadcutter ?
    That would work.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

That could certainly be done. The double-end, bevel base was intended to facilitate reloading with speed liaders in PPC matches.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    That could certainly be done. The double-end, bevel base was intended to facilitate reloading with speed liaders in PPC matches.
    That makes sense.

I always thought the identical ends were to speed up the process of putting bullets in casings because it wouldn't matter which end was up. I didn't even think about the bullet profile in terms of speedloaders.

Boolit Master

It seems like they afford some versatility. When it matters, point the sprue cuts to the nose. When it doesn't matter, just load them as you pick them up (sprue cuts down or up, whatever).

Moderator Emeritus

Per Col. Harrison's Cast Bullets the button nose is an accuracy improvement. How much is up to the shooter.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

I understood the 35863 DE wc was cut originally for the model 52 38 special semi-auto Smith. It had feed issues with a button nose.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Probably the original intent. I've loaded quite a bit for both the S & W M52 and the Colt Midrange Match. The Colt will take a button nose wadcutter but the Smith is more picky.

Then another reason is that one of the early mass reloaders like the Star took cardboard tubes loaded with sized and lubed bullets. It may have been for this application./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I understood the 35863 DE wc was cut originally for the model 52 38 special semi-auto Smith. It had feed issues with a button nose.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....