Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 310 gr in .44 mag revolver

Boolit Master

310 gr in .44 mag revolver

I am looking for load recommendations.
    I have Unique and 2400 and I want to load for a 310 gr cast for my .44 magnum revolver in excellent condition
    From what I have been reading 10 gr of Unique seems to work
    any other suggestions?

thanks
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 07-16-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: clarification
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master
    If this is a .44 mag revolver, I'm sorry but I don't use those powders. Others will chime in before long. FYI, I do shoot the Lee 310 mold, which casts a smiddgen lighter for me than a real 310 grains, and I have had good success with 16.4 gr of AA#9, and 11.7 gr Blue Dot. I like the Blue Dot load better. My gun is in good shape and safe with the above. YMMV. Use at your discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    If this is a .44 mag revolver, I'm sorry but I don't use those powders. Others will chime in before long. FYI, I do shoot the Lee 310 mold, which casts a smiddgen lighter for me than a real 310 grains, and I have had good success with 16.4 gr of AA#9, and 11.7 gr Blue Dot. I like the Blue Dot load better. My gun is in good shape and safe with the above. YMMV. Use at your discretion.
    Why wouldn't you want to use 2400? That is THE 44 magnum powder. Unique, while a bit dirty, works fine too. H110 or W296 are also great for wrist breaking loads.

Alliant USED to list the following loads, and they were retrieved from a second hand source (use at your own risk) Keep in mind, they are to be considered MAX LOADS. Reduce them by 10% for a good starting load.

310gr LSWC - 13.5gr 2400 - 1150 FPS
    310gr LSWC - 7.2gr Unique - 965 FPS

Boolit Master

thanks am44mag
    are those at the top or bottom end of the loads spectrum?

I usually use 296 with 305gr and 310gr but 2400 works more than fine. Unique will work also just not up to the velocity levels of 2400, 296 or H110.

Boolit Master
    I use H110. Shoots well from my SRH.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    am44mag -- Not opposed. I just have those powders.

Who made your 44? The top drawer loads for some revolvers are a bit much in others.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I use 2400 for jacketed bullets, the heaviest bullet I've ever loaded was 300g Sierra. Didn't like
    it and went back to 240jhp. I use Unique for all my cast loads in 44 & 45. I'm loading 8.5g of
    unique in 45Colt with 250gr RNFP cast. I had a 270gr RCBS SWC mold but forget what the charge
    was. Didn't like the bullet and traded it off shortly after I got it.

Boolit Master
    I was using my SBH with the SSK 310 gr with about 19.0 grs of 296. This near or at max. This load was used by Larry Kelly on his hunts including elephants.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    I was using my SBH with the SSK 310 gr with about 19.0 grs of 296. This near or at max. This load was used by Larry Kelly on his hunts including elephants.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    This load get lots of use around here in Blackhawks ; formerly a SuperRedhawk and some rifles in a wheel gun it’s a hole on bar the door type load but I’ve seen it shoot all the way through an old Chevy S10 at a local farm dump we used to shoot at. The engine was gone but radiator was there so were the seats; went all the way through

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    thanks am44mag
    are those at the top or bottom end of the loads spectrum?
    I believe the H110/296 loads are hotter, but that 2400 load is no slouch.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    am44mag -- Not opposed. I just have those powders.
    Ah, I misread your post. That makes sense.

Groo here
    Leadmelter, If you are using the later bullet [like Penn makes "two crimp groove"] and crimping for shorter length [ like for S&W 29 type] that load is great .
    If you use the original design [ not for S&W] or load long ,,, the load is "21.5gr 296" .
    You can go down to 20.5 or sneak up to 22.5,,, but 21.5 seemed to be the "sweet spot"
    Ps, I have an original SSK mold [single crimp groove]and the bullets won't even fit in an S&W if crimped in the groove.

Boolit Master

I shoot the Lyman 429650 (~220 grains) from a 10” ‘scoped Super Redhawk…

I was never able to get good accuracy from the fast burners where velocities were 600-800 fps and as low as 550 fps using Trail Boss…

I didn’t try 2400 or Unique as I really never had much luck with 2400 and any handgun and as much as this may sound crazy, it was sort of the same way with Unique. Although I do have a few handgun loads where I use Unique. The 32 Long Colt, a couple of loads for the 38/357, and a few for the 45 Colt. Yet, all mentioned, with the amazing exception of the 32 LC, have done better with powders other than Unique.

My accuracy came with AA#9S, WC-820, and H-110. Velocities were from 1150+ fps (WC-820 and AA#9S) and 1285± fps H-110)…

From my bench, these loads were very accurate, being able to hit a groundhog-sized silhouette at 150 yards the vast majority of the time once hold-over was determined for that particular day. Hold-overs could vary by 3” on some days…

The only problem with these loads—RECOIL. I would shoot 20 or so rounds and that would be that day at the range, at least with the SRH…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Master

I tried 6.4 grains of Unique today and load shot well and was very mild.....
    when I get back in August I will try some stiffer loads and work up to max.
    thanks for your help guys
    atr

Boolit Master

If you're looking for top drawer loads, search the archives for some John Taffin articles on heavies in the .44 Mag....IF....you have a SBH or Redhawk. I have fired some of his listed loads in a 4" M29 with both a 280 and a 320 grain Keith with H110 and WW296 and accuracy was great but muzzle blast was fierce. Don't know if a M29 could take the beating for very long. I finally throttled back and run most of my loads now at around 1100 FPS with WC820 and that's about all I need or want./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Great to hear! I finally drew a Chevy-S10 tag this year, and was wondering what a good load would be
    I took a nice Toyota Hi-Lux many years ago, but stepping up to a Chevy this year, will be a real treat should I be lucky enough to stalk one in the wilds.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Master
    I doubt you'll be "stepping up" to an S-10.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Yes I have gone through John Taffin's book and he has many good load combinations which I find useful.
    atr

I use Blue dot in my, when I load 310 in 44mag. I shoot them in my RH and I tell you what .I do not shoot it alot in it. You know you shot it.I shoot it mainly in my Marlin. Both are dead on.On the Lee 310 mold,I was told to use the top crimp groove for rifle and I use the bottom one for my RH.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast