MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Suppressor for .22 cal air gun

Boolit Master

Suppressor for .22 cal air gun

I want to put a suppressor on my .22 cal air gun can I do that without buying a stamp or going through a FFL dealer? I have the equipment to do the build .

It will have to be permanently attached in a manner that will not allow you to disassemble for cleaning. Otherwise, yes, it's legal.

Notice: I am neither an attorney, nor did I sleep in a Motel 6 last night.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    ~Ben Franklin

[QUOTE=sparky45;4411586]I want to put a suppressor on my .22 cal air gun can I do that without buying a stamp or going through a FFL dealer? I have the equipment to do the build .

ATF really has no authority on air rifles . The common thought is if it can be removed and installed on a fire arm then you have a problem . But they have not and more than likely not press the issue . There are many being sold than are removable for cleaning . ATF has lost a case were a felon that could not own a fire air had one on a air rifle that was removable . They could not prove that there was a intent to install it on a fire arm which he could not own legally . Build or buy and enjoy . As many are doing . Marvin

Here is a previous thread on the subject .Marvin
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rrel-Air-Rifle

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the info, especially the info from Marvin. I'm going to apply the knowledge gained to further assess my needs/wants. I have a springer and doubt I'll eagerly persue the issue.

Boolit Bub
    My 22 Pro Elite is internally suppressed, and it's not exactly quiet. I think most of the noise is mecanical and not muzzle blast. Be realistic in your expectations.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." --Dr. Johnson

Boolit Master

Simply wanted to do it cause I can.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Simply wanted to do it cause I can.
    The best of reasons.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." --Dr. Johnson

Boolit Master

I like the way you think.

Boolit Master
    The average springer only needs a blast suppressor if the barrel is too short for its air chamber capacity.
    Pretty much the same goes for pump up rifles.
    My home made Crosman carbine with 24" barrel is whisper quiet when shorter barreled guns are fairly loud. A really long barrel can reduce muzzle velocity since the air column in the bore runs out of pressure before the pellet reaches the muzzle.

Sonic crack can't be quietened by a suppressor , if your present pellets break the sound barrier try a heavier pellet to slightly reduce muzzle velocity.

Maxim made his fortune on industrial silencers for the early air tools. The silencers for firearms
    didn't come close to industrial market. I'm sure there are many more silencers on firearms now
    than have ever existed. Technically suppressors, I know some expert will jump if that not cleared
    up. What most don't realize is you are going to have to drop MV down to below 1086 Fps for this
    to work. This is the same no matter what propels the "projectile" any object traveling over the
    speed of sound will cause a sonic boom, whether a jet aircraft or a BB.

Boolit Master

TKO22 makes some I have a few and they work well and are not overly costly.

My understanding is that they are made in such a way that they will never be able to quiet any firearm so they are zero legality issues...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Interesting thread folks, and I read the thread from last yr where Art posted a long series on the subject. Seems most folks think suppressors are legal on air rifles. What about this on the ATF site:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-...s-nfa-firearms

From the link above that was reviewed last in 2015: "The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax.

[26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11]"

Boolit Master

My understanding is that the suppressor on a Air Rifle must be installed permanently. Thereby not subject to ATF regs.

My understanding is that the suppressor on a Air Rifle must be installed permanently. Thereby not subject to ATF regs.
    That is your understanding . But note it is stated that numerous not all silencers are considered as such . A permanent attached LDC would take care of the gray area for sure . Note that several manufactures are selling new rifles with LDC and shrouds that are removeable . And there are several venders with them for sale on the net . We also live in a country that has a law that states that any form of transportation used on a public road can not have its exhaust system altered . Un less the system has been tested and labeled that it meets emission and sound level testing that the original system meet . This law includes motorcycles . Do as you wish and enjoy the sport as much as you can .Marvin

Boolit Master
    In the ATF link I posted above did you see anywhere it says "permanently attached" was allowed on air guns? Yes, it's implied the suppressors tested were removable, but doesn't seem to say removable anywhere. It just says "paintball and airgun silencers .....have been determined to be, ...... firearm silencers"

Boolit Buddy
    I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

At the moment Ken, my view is that the caselaw is in a standoff point. There's been a ruling against the ATF (at the circuit level) where their "function" argument was rejected. It would take another case in another circuit reaching a contrary conclusion. Then that case would have to be appealed to the Supreme Court and attain a favorable ruling there. Fair fact of the matter is the case law isn't settled and I don't want to be the test case.

The airgun manufacturers permanently attach them and sell them. This seems to be a tacit understanding between the ATF and the airgunners.

If you think it might be illegal. Talk to a lawyer. Get legal advice on the matter.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master
    PerpetualStudent: Hey, I like that screen name - pretty much my mantra for life. I'm perpetually a student because I'm always learning things.

I do understand what you're say about "legal" vs "understanding". I'm well aware of the "moderators" most airgun manuf's build into the gun, and they're built in, and have been for many years. I'm also aware the ATF doesn't "make" laws, that's the job of congress. BUT - the ATF does "interpret" the law which sometimes seems to come down to the same thing. The only thing I was trying to do is point out what's stated on the ATF website and how that seems to conflict with how the law is actually handled.

The only reason to talk with a lawyer would be if I were at all interested in being a test case, and I have NO interest whatsoever of that. I plan to do everything I can to prevent myself from being a test case. Test cases cost too much money, time, and stress.

Ken H>

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    http://www.airforceairguns.com/AirFo...it-p/kitsl.htm

Removeable sound suppression they have been selling for years
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I always wanted to buy a Sam yang big bore and a suppressor for urban coyotes