MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Bullet for Cow Elk Hunt?

Boolit Mold

What Bullet for Cow Elk Hunt?

My son has drawn a Colorado Cow Elk BP hunt.

He will be shooting a 50 cal. Sabots are prohibited. In 50 cal he must use a conical projectile.

I have two molds available. Both LEE

Minie and REAL.

Which do you suggest?

Rifle will be a Rem ML 500

Thank you

Boolit Master
    What shoots better?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    I believe Colorado says the boolit can only be two diameters in length.

Boolit Master
    Not that I can see.

Doug
    .................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Either one placed correctly will do the job.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Of the two choices I would def. go with the Lyman .50 cal. plains bullet, most accurate conical in my .50s.

Boolit Master
    I"d go with the Lee Real if picking one ,I use a card/wad under it (Big difference in my guns) Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I"d go with the Lee Real if picking one ,I use a card/wad under it (Big difference in my guns) Ed
    Do you use the a card under the Lee Real to seal it for more pressure? Also do you coat the card with anything of just as is?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Mold
    Had not considered a card wad. Have to see if I can find some.

Boolit Master

I'm with Doug.
    You have plenty of time to determine which one shoots best in your rifle. Go with that one.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Not that I can see.
    That is interesting Doug. Thanks for pointing that out.

It likely still is and for sure, used to be, that Colorado ML rules would limit bullet length to up to two calibers. It was written and I have read it many times. Your cut and paste is from recent online data. And I agree, from it, that sure does not include that rule.

I would have to read the whole body of big game hunting in paper form before I would say that has changed to 'any bullet length goes' (my words).

For an example; I have a Gibbs long range muzzle loading rifle, .451 cal with 18 twist (458). It likes 550 grain PP bullets. In order to hunt with it, about 350 to 375 grain bullets were needed.
    Now I am interested to look up the current rules and see if anything has changed.

We have always laughed that you just about need a law degree to hunt.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    That is interesting Doug. Thanks for pointing that out.

It likely still is and for sure, used to be, that Colorado ML rules would limit bullet length to up to two calibers. It was written and I have read it many times. Your cut and paste is from recent online data. And I agree, from it, that sure does not include that rule.

I would have to read the whole body of big game hunting in paper form before I would say that has changed to 'any bullet length goes' (my words).

For an example; I have a Gibbs long range muzzle loading rifle, .451 cal with 18 twist (458). It likes 550 grain PP bullets. In order to hunt with it, about 350 to 375 grain bullets were needed.
    Now I am interested to look up the current rules and see if anything has changed.

We have always laughed that you just about need a law degree to hunt.
    Thankfully my neighbor works for Wyoming G&F so whenever I have a random question I just send her a text and she will bug the wardens until she gets an answer for me.

Let me know if you find something in the Colorado rules because I'm interested now. I'll be using my points there for archery hunts in the next couple of years but have considered trying for a muzzleloader tag instead.

That's actually a screenshot of the digital copy of the 2018 regs I have the paper copy as well but with the pdf format you can ctrl F and find what your looking for faster.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 07-17-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    A few years back I also had an antler less muzzleloader elk tag and since I was hunting alone planned on shooting a nice, tender calf of around 250# on the hoof. God laughed and presented me with a full grown cow standing and looking from 50 yards. My 50 cal Hawken was loaded with a sabot, a 265 gr 429 SWC and 75 gr of FFF Goex. The last view I had of that cow before the smoke filled the view was of her completely off the ground with feet rotating skyward. DRT. That cow provided 300# of wrapped meat (indicated an almost 650# live weight) at the butcher and I had to buy another freezer. Have fun with your tag!!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Thankfully my neighbor works for Wyoming G&F so whenever I have a random question I just send her a text and she will bug the wardens until she gets an answer for me.

Let me know if you find something in the Colorado rules because I'm interested now. I'll be using my points there for archery hunts in the next couple of years but have considered trying for a muzzleloader tag instead.

That's actually a screenshot of the digital copy of the 2018 regs I have the paper copy as well but with the pdf format you can ctrl F and find what your looking for faster.
    Okay. The hunting Reg's have a "What's New for (2018)" section and the changes to Round Ball caliber went larger as we have talked about on here BUT in true fashion, they failed to mention that they no longer list the requirement that bullets be two calibers or less. In other words, they dropped the requirement. So good call to point it out.

The interesting thing that will effect basically no one other than me in years I do it, is the unintended consequence that now, the 45 ML shooting a conical bullet I like for elk, no longer works. It has to be a 50cal bullet or larger. In my case, the 45 cal Gibbs shooting a 375 grain paper patch bullet at 1375FPS falls through the cracks. Tho still Okay for lesser big game like Deer and Black Bear. But Not for Elk or Moose.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Laws written by people that don't know anything about ballistics so they make the minimum enough that it should work but they don't know.

We went from 500 foot pound requirement for handguns to 35 caliber and a 1.5" minimum over all length.....so I can't hunt with my 10mm anymore for antelope but can take my snub nose 38 special with 158gr bullets out for elk...
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    My son has drawn a Colorado Cow Elk BP hunt.

He will be shooting a 50 cal. Sabots are prohibited. In 50 cal he must use a conical projectile.

I have two molds available. Both LEE

Minie and REAL.

Which do you suggest?

Rifle will be a Rem ML 500

Thank you
    I'd go with the heaviest real. I used that rifle with a black belt 348gr and had good results. Now they're power belts. Are they legal?

Boolit Mold
    First trip to the range the REAL proved most accurate at 100 yards. Shooting about 3 inches high. My son is mostly a bow hunter and needs some more time behind the trigger. Iron sights only is a big change for him also. Fortunately, he has young eyes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Boolit Master

I know you were looking at the molds you have but it’s hard to beat the Accurate Molds 51-450M in the fast 1-28” twist muzzleloader.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ttr10wP.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	224149

My encore shot awful until I shot this bullet and had David White remove the QLA.

These groups are the norm now at 100

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DLzzCFx.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	224148
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Man
    I also recommend the Lyman Great Plains Bullet. Have taken both elk and large mule deer with this Bullet over 120 grains of 777 in a self-built underhammer rifle with a 1 in 28 Green Mountain barrel. Tried the Lee Minnie but was blowing the skirts off.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to buy pre-made bullets, Check out No Excuses. They come in a variety of weights for the 50 cal and sizes I think he sells same test packs of the various sizes. I've taken elk with them and they are a quality conical. I'm fond of the 460's with a wool wonder wad under it. I go one size bigger (54cal) in the wad for total seal. 90grns of FFG Goex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast