Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataPBcastco
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scanning your drivers license during gun purchase.

Boolit Bub

Scanning your drivers license during gun purchase.

One time a few years ago, I bought some tobacco at a gas station. They took my ID and scanned the blurry code on the back side, I asked why, and can't remember the reasoning. I never went back.

At my local gun shop, I bought a gun and they did the same thing. They had my ID at checkout and scanned the blurry back side. I immediately wanted to know why, and they said to keep records for ME in case of theft, fire, etc. The most simple real answer I'm sure is for THEIR record keeping. Which could be done easy enough with the forms we all fill out for NICS. Anyways, it rubs me the wrong way. Anybody else have this happen? Computers never forget, are you comfortable with it?

Banned
    I don't let stores scan my license , if they balk I just go spend my money elsewhere . Easy peasy

I don't fight it. Big Brother knows everything about me.
    One time, they tracked me via my cellphone.
    When they were ready, they had four cruisers intercept me.
    The days of Ozzie and Harriet are gone.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    My local FF copies my license for his files. Doesnt bother me in the least.
    East Tennessee

Banned
    It's not like they don't all ready know everything you do any way if you have and use credit cards and have a bank account they can tell how much you will spend on gas and groceries and utilities for the year .

Boolit Buddy
    Local store here started that **** for ammo purchases about twenty years ago. Haven't bought ammo from them since. Verify age and that's all the info they have any right to.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    gun stores in my area all do it. i guess you could refuse but your not buying a gun around here without it. the way i look at it is its a gov id they already have it. i see a lot on the news they id someone with facial recognition where do you think they get the photo to match it with. can we say drivers license. its not something i really like just not sure what to do about it. do you really think that the gov only keeps background checks for a set time then deletes them? unfortunately the gov big companies know a lot more about all of us that just about anyone would think. welcome to the brave new world.

Boolit Buddy
    Blurry back side I assume is 3d bar code, basically it's the same information as in the front side just encoded into barcode and can be used for automation - like they have software where form fields populated via scanning - much faster and no typos. Dealers here always make a photo copy of the license but I haven't seen them scanning it.

Boolit Master
    All this isn't new by any means - back in 1981 (82?) when I turned 30 I got letters trying to sell me life insurance - they said "since you've now turned 30 you need to be concerned about your wife and children" so buy life insurance. How did "they" know I'd just turned 30 and had a wife and two children? Remember, that was almost 40 yrs ago!

Boolit Master

The software just scans your name, address and age if needed. Work with the software all the time, no dark web or big brother just easier than typing it in.

Boolit Master

Sam's Club here wanted to scan my DL for a liquor purchase...like I really look under 21...so I offered my CCW as proof of age. They said 'No, State Liquor Control requires that we accept only Driver's License or State ID Card for liquor purchase." When I pointed out that my CCW IS a state-issued ID, they said (again): "No, we can only accept Driver's License or State ID Card. It's a Liquor Control regulation." Cashier called over a manager who gave me the same story. Walked away, leaving the bourbon (an the rest of my merchandise) beside the register.

When I got home, I went online and checked IL Liquor Control Site: Nada, Nil, Nothing there!! Next day, called their Consumer Service #; after going through a two or three levels of "Press 1 for..." I got a live person on the line who stated that she'd been with Liquor Control for 16 years and had never heard of any such requirement and could find nothing in the state regs requiring any seller to accept (or deny) any specific ID documents...only exception being for 'obvious forgeries'.

I suspect this is just a 'data mining' scam but did file a complaint with Liquor Control. No response to date.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Depending on the state there is more info in the barcode than what is on the front of the license.
    Was a big deal a few years ago, IIRC Hawaii had all sorts of personal info in the barcode.
    Now maybe it is encrypted now, and sure we can just trust the software developers/end users to only read a few fields, but I prefer to give out as little info as possible.
    I know the genie is out of the bottle and yes I carry my locater/listening device with me at all times.
    I do not let my license get scanned just on principal, have had to get cashiers to get managers to teach their employees their store policies before.
    Our town tried the DL scanning thing for smokes a few years ago. Didn’t last long, I guess I was not the only one who walked out.

As far as IL, a Foid or CCW Permit are not considered legal ID even by the DMV.
    There is no logic involved, just bureaucracy.
    One state department will not accept a picture id issued by the same states police department, and only issued after a criminal background check.

But I can use it to purchase guns and ammo and now carry handguns, but it is not a valid form of ID. Government logic at its best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I borrowed a ball joint press kit from Advance Auto a few months ago. When I brought it back for the refund the guy behind the counter asked for some ID before doing the refund. Reasonable enough. When he looked at my license he turned it over and got the bar code scanner. I yanked the license out of his hand and asked him what he was doing. He said he had to verify it was me. I told him look at the friggen front and match the picture on my CDL. He balked so I called for the manager. The manager just decided I was not worth the bother and gave me back my money.

Just because Big Brother knows what you are doing most of the time doesn't mean you have to roll over and make it easy.

BTW: Wilco, SCOTUS just put a serious crimp in Stingray operations without a warrant. If cops showed up like that on me I'd politely tell them to pound sand and get a warrant before searching my car or doing anything further
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Buddy
    In Texas, our D.L's have a strip on the back like a credit card. I took mine and held it against a strong magnet, and now they scan and get nothing. LOL. They have to actually read the info on the front...

Boolit Bub
    I’m not ignorant to the fact that they know what they know, but I also believe the, “why roll over and make it easy?”

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by goste View Post
    In Texas, our D.L's have a strip on the back like a credit card. I took mine and held it against a strong magnet, and now they scan and get nothing. LOL. They have to actually read the info on the front...
    Lol. Love it. Might do this and go back to that store.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Every time I go onto Ft, Benning my DL gets scanned, or I don't get on. Lori has a CAT card, as she works as a teacher on base. Makes life eaier. I can go through any gate with her driving. Still have to show my DL, however....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    My local FF copies my license for his files. Doesnt bother me in the least.
    Pretty much every gun shop I have ever bought a gun at, or had one transferred though has either copied my license, or at the very least recorded info off of it. They're not going to get any info on me that they don't already know from the 4473.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

As much as we like to lay low and not be noticed are actions are being recorded are they watching just you NO they are recording everyone one. If you do not get paid in cash and pay all your bills in cash your on record. If you have a PC or cell phone you are tracked price we pay for other things that can be use against us but they are put in place to protect and see what were buying so they can send ads hoping to sell us more.
    If the man wants you I do not care what you do they will come and get you. Do I worry about big brother well sure if he goes off the deep end or is big brother looking out of you most of the time we do not think so but heck are you a bad guy ?
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    I think some are missing the point.
    Big brother issued the drivers license, with all the info encoded on the back, this topic has nothing to do with hiding anything from the government.

To me it has to do with keeping my info from private companies.

I used to get into arguments with radio shack employees 30 years ago when they didn’t want to let you purchase anything without a phone number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast