Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st time making Shuzi

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

1st time making Sushi

1st time making sushi. Big learning curve. Must have a very sharp knife.
    Carrots, celery, Radish, cucumber
    Got a package of Lobster for a 2nd try.
    Did I say you Must have a very sharp knife?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	223710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	223711
    Last edited by DCP; 07-15-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    if yew knew sushi
    like ie new suzi
    shushi suza suzi slushee it all looks the same to me !!!!!!

Save some money by not buying the wasabi powder at the oriental market. Real wasabi powder isn't exported or exported anymore. What we get in the tins is dark hot mustard. Cheaper in the spice section.

Boolit Master
    Did you have to use a special sticky rice? Man, perfect summer meal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Did you have to use a special sticky rice? Man, perfect summer meal.
    I used https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nishiki-P...32-oz/10536093 dont buy it from Amazon 25 plus 5 shipping. It was to sticky someone forgot to wash it(she wont do that again) dog loved eating it off my feet.

I will try long grain rice latter. https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Sticky-...g-Regular-Rice

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Nigiri Sushi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0855.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	223725

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned

Looks great! The Nigri is one of my favorites. They have one at my favorite Chinese restaurant called "Shaggy Dog" roll. It has a "mane" made of imitation crab sliced in to fine ribbons on top, with yum yum sauce over that.

Boolit Master

I learned to make it last deployment to Japan. Making the rice correctly is the hardest part and most time consuming. Good thing is that you can make a few rolls and slice them up. Wrap them in suran wrap tightly and the last a couple days. Makes great heavy lunches. I use just plain old long grain rice. Rinse till the water runs clean. Then use a cheap rice cooker. As soon as its done, add some suger and a splash of rice vinegar. Then dump into a non metal container (it will give the rice an off taste if it cools in metal). Then its like making a burrito with the bamboo mat.

If you coat your knife in rice vinegar it will help you cut it better by preventing the rice from sticking to the knife. Also use vinegar as a great tool to clean your rice cooker. It dissolves the carbohydrates that will turn to concreate (figuratively). Rice vinegar is the preferred method because it is the weakest on the acid scale and not give you any odd or funny taste. Regular white vinegar will work to clean up.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    What are you using as sashimi? In the pic it just looks like imitation crab. [I'm old (ish) and my eyes are not the strongest]. I like a tuna steak or salmon. But it has to be FRESH. Can't be caught last week. Haven't made any in months. You're giving me the itch. Be careful about getting good at it. All sushi restaurants will soon be a disappointment.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Save some money by not buying the wasabi powder at the oriental market. Real wasabi powder isn't exported or exported anymore. What we get in the tins is dark hot mustard. Cheaper in the spice section.
    Stuff I get is mostly horseradish with just enough wasabi to put the word on the label.

Boolit Master

Thought real Wasabi was just about extinct and/or that rare. Thought all the green stuff we buy is just horseradish dyed green.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    What are you using as sashimi? In the pic it just looks like imitation crab. [I'm old (ish) and my eyes are not the strongest]. I like a tuna steak or salmon. But it has to be FRESH. Can't be caught last week. Haven't made any in months. You're giving me the itch. Be careful about getting good at it. All sushi restaurants will soon be a disappointment.

Koger Chunk Style Lobster Select Imitation Lobster Meat 7oz $2.99. They have crab also and I dont like the chunk

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned
    Best sushi I have ever had was eel. It's like God made eels to eat raw. Yum!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I learned to make it last deployment to Japan. Making the rice correctly is the hardest part and most time consuming. Good thing is that you can make a few rolls and slice them up. Wrap them in suran wrap tightly and the last a couple days. Makes great heavy lunches. I use just plain old long grain rice. Rinse till the water runs clean. Then use a cheap rice cooker. As soon as its done, add some suger and a splash of rice vinegar. Then dump into a non metal container (it will give the rice an off taste if it cools in metal). Then its like making a burrito with the bamboo mat.

If you coat your knife in rice vinegar it will help you cut it better by preventing the rice from sticking to the knife. Also use vinegar as a great tool to clean your rice cooker. It dissolves the carbohydrates that will turn to concreate (figuratively). Rice vinegar is the preferred method because it is the weakest on the acid scale and not give you any odd or funny taste. Regular white vinegar will work to clean up.
    Thanks so much

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

I've made it twice myself. I use sushi rice and try to cool it properly, though mine is still too sticky I think.
    Last time we bought an entire 10lb albacore tuna at the market, but it was too fishy for proper sushi I think. Should have just gotten salmon!
    Here is a picture to share. Made small rolls, nigiri and some sungunmaki. Prep takes forever, and my 9yo son hogs it down in minutes. I have to move fast to get any!
    Bulldogger
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	223752

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post

After having 3 feet of slime wrap around my bare arm river fishing one night no way am I eating eel! Caught an American Eel while catfishing... slime with teeth...

Banned

I like my sushi dipped in drakes and deep fried!

Boolit Grand Master

Raw eel !!!!!....And they say Cajuns will eat anything!
    At least we got enough sense to roll eel in corn flour and deep fry it , along with some hush puppies , now you got a meal ....
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Odd you said raw, it’s always been broiled when I have it. With unagi sauce. It is delish and my favorite.

I like raw tuna sashimi. Heck I even like mackerel. Mackerel is fishy though.

Boolit Master

Op I think you did fine for a first try.

Wrapping a roll tight takes practice. My other cheat is to take single rice grains and mash them on the end of the wrapper for a glue point. Three or four per roll does it.

A keep a wet paper towel to wipe the knife clean after every cut. Also when cutting I lightly press the parts away from the knife to not drag the knife as much on the rice filling. It cuts down on the knife issues.

Keep it up. It’ll get easier and better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast