View Poll Results: 35 Whelen or 338-06

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 338-06

10 21.74%
  • 35 Whelen

36 78.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebarrel of a Mauser 30-06. 35 Whelen or 338-06?

Boolit Grand Master

I read a number of warnings about a bulged base when trying to make them from '06.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I like 35 caliber for the abundance of bullets of various hardness. The 34 caliber bullets are mostly fairly hard, intended for large game. The selection of 35 caliber bullets spans the spectrum, from very soft to very hard.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    35 whelen for me. I just special ordered a 7600 carbine chambered in it! My 06' with a 180 gr core loct puts deer down like the hammer of Thor the way it is. I can't wait!!!

Banned
    9.3mm-06

Boolit Grand Master

The main reason I voted 35 Whelen is because there are more moulds in 35 than 33.
    We is all about Cast Boolits
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    You've already got a 35 whelen, so probably already have the dies for it. The 338-06 would either take custom or very expensive dies. It might not be a consideration for others, but it would be for me.
    $32.99 at Graf's.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...productId/8321

Since the OP already has a Whelen, I would opt for a .338-06.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I voted 338-06 because I'm rebarrelling a 1917 Eddystone right now. I already have the dies and barrel just need to put it together.

I did think a long time which one I was going to go to and finally decided that I liked the 338-06 ballistics a little better.

If I wanted a new rifle in the power range of one I already own, I would favor the cartridge I'm already set up to load. It's the rifle that interests me. In this instance, that's another reason to select the 35 Whelen. Personally, I like the 30-06 cartridge, which is why I own many rifles chambered for it. The rifles are different, and have their own personalities. The chambering is tried and true.

Boolit Buddy
    How about a .338-280AI? I got an Encore chambered in that just for paper patching.
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Bub
    I'll cast my vote for Whelen. Cuz I like big holz.

8mm-06 needs love too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sportsmans guide has ruger American 270 winchesters on sale for $279

i want to buy two and have the barrel bored to one of each...if they only had metal magazines.

Boolit Man
    I would opt for neither. With a spare 30-06 Mauser action, and factory Lapua brass easily available, I would definitely go for a 6.5-284. It is a stellar round and with all the new 6.5 projectiles that have hit the market in the last decade, its really really hard to top.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mackay Sagebrush View Post
    I would opt for neither. With a spare 30-06 Mauser action, and factory Lapua brass easily available, I would definitely go for a 6.5-284. It is a stellar round and with all the new 6.5 projectiles that have hit the market in the last decade, its really really hard to top.
    I have a 6.5 Creed T/C already. The rebarrel or bore is for a large caliber. The comment about the 270's is interesting as i bought a T/C Compass 270 during Ganders going out of business sale for $165 because it was $165. I have no use for it.
    Instead of changing the Mauser maybe i shud use either that 270 or the 30-06 picked up at the same price
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I like both but voted for the 338-06.

The 338 is published with hotter loads than the 35 due the age of the latter cartridge. The 338 j words have better BC’s of the same weight generally. The overall selection of 338 j words is also better.

Now the negatives:

The 338 in cast has two disadvantages, one being a twist of ten. Second and more important the selection of molds is less in 338. Mold makers such as NOE and Accurate molds have filled that void to a fair degree however.

For just pooping around I have found the Lee 20 buck 2 cavity 225 gr boolit to shoot all out of proportion to it’s “look” in my Savage barrel in 338-06. A very sweet outfit.

Either cartridge will likely fit the OP’s needs well. I voted for the 338 because it is generally under represented on the forums and deserves a better image than it gets.

Three44s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12