WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS or Lyman lube sizer?

Boolit Buddy

RCBS or Lyman lube sizer?

Lost my old lube sizer in a fire, but still have about 25 usable dies. I would like the members advice on the choice between the Lyman model and the RCBS units or any other one that will use the old Lyman dies. The new H and I dies are over priced for my budget..........

This is Catch, I'm 83 yrs old, a Korean disabled vet, and still reloading and shooting........Thanks in advance for you kind help

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Are you resizing any big hard boolits? If you aren't doing any heavy lead crunching, I'd recommend the Lyman. The RCBS is a very robust machine that will do some fairly heavy duty resizing, but of course costs more than the Lyman. I do almost all of my lubing on old Lyman 45's, but I resize with a Lee push thru sizer and the machine only has to lube the boolits. It's very easy on them. I even have four old Ideal No. 1 units that I lube with.
    For normal sizing of .001-.002" and lubing, I'd say Lyman.
    Which model did you lose in the fire?
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Catch, I concur with Beagle. I too have a couple of Lyman 45's that do most of my sizing but also a couple of 450's (w/heaters) and even a pitzer. The RCBS is a great tool too but it's a lot easier to find inexpensive 450's on the used market. Post a WTB in the swapping and selling section and I bet you'll get responses pretty quickly.
    Thanks for your service!!!
    Semper Fi!

Banned
    They are both serviceable machines but the Lyman is probably easier/cheaper to find used.

They normally run within about $20 of each other when new.

I just checked the Midwayusa site and the RCBS is on SALE for $145 !

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...and-lubricator

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry re your loss! I have several Lymans -- the 45, and 450 models, and concur 100% with the post by Beagle333! One "plus" to the Lyman is their (optional) gas check seater accessory -- a small item which Midway sells for $11.29 -- which makes GCs ever so easy to apply to your cast bullets! (I do not know if this tool will work -- albeit it might/should -- on the RCBS units.) As a btw, I'm 70 yrs young, and pray to be as privileged as you are to still be casting, reloading, and shooting at 83, God willing! And, re Korea, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a Lyman 450 for ever. A few friends have the RCBS, which I have used or seen being used. The linkage looks to be stronger on the RCBS. Both are good machines and will do the job for you. I also would like to thank you for your service. My Dad was a Korean War Vet as was a Friends Dad. Both are gone now.

Boolit Master
    I also recommend the Lyman 450. Always deals on the this site. I have 3 of them. Been using for 40 yrs.

Boolit Buddy
    The one I lost in the fire was an old (40 yrs) RCBS. The threads on the die holder cap were worn out. Too fine.......... and the hex end of the lube res. shaft was worn out. Amazon has an RCBS for $144 and two Lymans for about @200 and a little more for the heater model (and g check asscessory) I cast for about 20 different calibers but nothing terribly hard. The 45-70 is the biggest and baddest so I do use a push through Lee for that one. Some I breech seat in a 45/100 Marlin Ballard. When my little shop burned last march a year ago I lost alot, my whole world was upset, but I have managed to rebuild and recover. Thank God for friends that have helped me rebuild and even donated tools and cast bullets for me to play with. God bless all of them. I think I will follow your suggestions and go with the Lyman/heater and gas check thingy. Thanks for your help and kind words............Catch.

All we really have is each other............

Boolit Master
    Check eBay.The last Lyman 450 I bought cost $66.00 with dies and top punch still installed.All of the Lymans are strong enough.Problems start when users start doing things they were never intended for.I have six Lyman lube sizers of various models.Only bought one of the 450's new.The rest came from eBay and an estate sale.

Boolit Master
    I vote Lyman, have several 450s and one RCBS LAM II. The ratchet on the Lyman is much easier to use than the T handle on the RCBS. It was so awkward that I converted the RCBS to use a ratchet.

Boolit Master

I have 2 Lachmillers bought used - they are basically the same as the RCBS LAM. I believe they are the better of the two, more robust to my thinking. I also have a Star I use a lot, even for rifle boolits, but I generally use the Lach's for GC boolits...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Back in another life I had a 450 that I ended up selling.

When I got back in to casting I bought the RCBS, as I’ve always felt their products were slightly better quality

Wish I’d bought another 450 now.

I miss the ratchet on the lube pressure screw, it never got in the way of the press linkage.

The vise-screw lever on the RCBS sometimes gets in the way, even after sliding it to the other side. I end up having to loosen slightly before I can raise the ram.

Other than that, they seem almost identical. I still have the bench my 450 was mounted on and the RCBS fit right on to them.

Boolit Master
    Of your 2 choices I'd definitely get the STAR, period, end of discussion.

Boolit Master

I miss the ratchet on the lube pressure screw, it never got in the way of the press linkage.

Didn't like it either but another soul on here put me on to this.

Use a ¼” drive ½” 6 point socket with a slot cut in it to allow a bolt to go through
    the top of the luber screw and you can eliminate that annoying double ended ball to
    apply pressure. The ¼” drive socket wrench works much nicer. I cut the slot with
    a metal angle grinder. And you’re not messing with the factory setup. Think I paid
    $1.59 for the socket!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS-Socket.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	224326
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master

Unless you are doing heavy sizing. I would go with the Lyman 45. To me it is much easier to use than the 450 or 4500. You can usually find one on here or Ebay for $50.00 or less. Thank you for your service
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Neither SAECO is the best by far.

Boolit Mold
    I have a good clean Lyman 450 with 5 dies and top punch i no longer need.

I have one Lyman 45 and 3 RCBS LAMs, enuf said.

I am using a Lyman 4500. It has a heater, but since I use NRA 50-50, it doesn't get plugged in.
    I use RCBS sizing dies. I like the hole pattern of the RCBS dies better. It allows me to do a better job of picking which lube grooves I want lube in.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 450 , mine's going on 50 years, Lyman has replacement 450 parts and upgrade kits for them.
    Two years ago I bought up grade kit and few extra parts but have not needed them .
    You're existing dies will be sure to work.
    There's a 450 on ebay right now with a buy it now for $50.00 and that was just the first one that popped up . Someone on the site might have a spare for less.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast