WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 308 Win Mold

Boolit Master

308 Win Mold

My search has uncovered some answers, but a few questions remain.

Until now, my casting has been exclusively for handguns. At a recent afternoon at the range, my wife seemed quite uncomfortable with recoil behind the bolt action rifles. It occurred to me that it would be useful to introduce her to recoil gradually like I did with her handguns. Then I thought, no better way than to go with cast boolits and reduced velocities with quicker burning powders.

I thought I'd start with a 1/12 twist Rem 700 26" in 308 Win since brass is plentiful in my inventory.

My short list of mold choices keep pointing to the RCBS 308-165-SIL. I do like RCBS molds, and this one comes up a lot in my searches. I thought I'd ask the brain trust here, is there anything that indicates that this wouldn't work?

These will be powder coated using one of Smoke's finest.

Boolit Master
    I prefer a heavier bullet, so haven't used my 165-SIL in a long time. However, it shoots quite accurately in .308.

Boolit Master

Is that 1-12 twist a factory barrel? If not, depending upon the barrel throat, you may run into some issue with seating depth issues with the 165SIL. I shot that boolit successfully for years in a McGowan-barreled M700 but, seated to the base of the neck, it won't chamber in my Savage M10 'tactical'. I just checked and have a couple hundred 165 SIL (#2 alloy, Smoke's Carolina Blue, sized .311) on hand and could send you a few to play around with.

Lately, for the Savage, I've been working with a 195-grainer from Arsenal (309-188RN-PC) that's designed for powdercoat. It's kind of a PITA...must size nose and driving bands in separate operations...but appears to have potential for MOA or better. (Rifle consistently prints sub-MOA with my clones of the M118 NM round.)

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Yes, the 1-12 is the factory barrel. The rifle is a bone stock Rem 700. Krashenbirn, you bring up a concern that I have. I would love to get a couple to check seating depth, etc. What can I send you in trade? An ingot or two?

I don't think I'm up for a mold that needs nose sizing. I'm also looking at this mold:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...oint-gas-check

I'm not going for benchrest groups. Just un unfussy bullet that will stabilize at reduced velocities. I am a novice when it comes to cast rifle bullets.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 07-16-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    Taterhead- I have that mould as well, but haven't used it in a long time. It makes an accurate bullet that's easy to get to shoot well. I used to shoot it in a couple of .308s, a Ruger 77V and a Remington 700 VS. According to my notes, I used this bullet in an alloy that approximated Lyman #2, about 16 BHN at around 1800 fps. I presume it will shoot well at lower speeds, but can't attest to that as fact.

For the last ten or so years, I've used mostly the 200 grain Lyman #314299 (or a hollow-pointed version of the same) in .30 caliber rifles that include the .30-40, .308 , and .30-06.

Boolit Master

No need for any swap, just send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll drop a dozen or so into a padded envelope.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Taterhead.

Yes the RCBS 30-165 is a good bullet for the 308, all around heavy plinking to nice hunting bullet.
    I have worked up a moderate load using 4759 powder in my 14 yr old son's left hand Rem 788 in 308, am still fine tuning it but he shoots it OK with under 2" groups at 100 yds.

I am finishing up a 308 on a Mauser action with a new Shilen barrel and the plan is to just shoot the RCBS 30-165 in that rifle.

For just a plinking bullet in the 30 caliber, look at the NOE 311440, which is the little hammer of Thor, a 150 gr flat nose, that will work from the 30-30 up to 30-06.
    Am using 10 grs of Unq and this bullet. Sighted in at 50 yds, it has another 6 inch drop at 100 yds and the son just loves the heck out of it as he can shoot it all day long and no recoil.

I use this bullet and load in both the 30-30 and 308 with great results

Years ago for my 2 nephews in their 308's, we shot the Lyman 311410 bullet which is a 130 gr pointed round nose over the same 10 grs of Unq, again no recoil and a good shooting bullet. One nephew even killed his first deer with that combo.

When I first got married, 25 years ago, I built a 30-06 for the wife, and she shot the Lyman 311466 bullet in it all the time, used 17 grs of Unq, and she had fun shooting it. Later I built her a 257 Roberts, and she handles the recoil fine. So yes you need to find a load and caliber where she is comfortable so she will keep shooting with you.

Here is the 30 claiber moulds I am currently cast from and have on hand, as cast or sized and lubed is noted.

Lyman 31141, a 170 gr FN with GC, sized and lubed .309
    Lyman 311440, a 150 gr Flat RN with a GC, sized and lubed .309
    Lyman 311410, a 130 gr Pointed RN, plain base, water quenched, sized and lubed .309
    Lyman 311466, a 155 gr RN with a GC, as cast
    RCBS 30-165 Sil, a 165 gr + pointed RN with a GC, as cast, or sized and lubed .309
    RCBS 30-200 Sil, a 200 gr Round RN with a GC, as cast

JW

Boolit Man
    The distance between the base and the front band on the 165sil and the lyman 311299 is close to the same its fits nicely in that short neck. Depending on nose (fit) they seem to be good choices. Or copies of course.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    No need for any swap, just send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll drop a dozen or so into a padded envelope.

Bill
    Bill,

Thank you. That is a generous offer. I'll take you up on it. A PM has been sent your way. Thank you, Sir!