Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't make ED'S RED

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    CA. lawmakers are the most stupid idiots in the world. I can not get alcohol based leather dye because they banned it and you have to get water based leather dye now. Not worth a darn. But, I can go into my local hardware store and buy a gallon of alcohol and still buy odorless mineral spirits. That is like banning the bullets. but not the guns.
    I like how you can only buy some oil based paints in quarts because there are too many VOCs in a gallon. They couldn't comprehend there is just as many VOCs in 4 quarts and more would get into the air messing with 4 cans.

Math isn't as important as it used to be since the development of cost overruns.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

when i make my Ed's Red i substitute Kroil for the Lanolin and find that it removes the lead in my pistols when i shoot my cast boolits. i have also used Laquer thinner instead of the minerial sprits and it works just as well.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Hi JonB.I remember when $20.00 would buy 80 gallons of the stuff. That`s right folks.25 cents a gallon.My Father was a house painter for almost 60 years before he retired.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Buy what you need via Amazon and it will arrive at your door in Cali.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Buy what you need via Amazon and it will arrive at your door in Cali.
    Why I do believe you are suggesting going around stupid rather than butting it with your head. You're right. As long as Amazon doesn't have a flag to say banned or prohibited you can just bypass the idiots. Eye on the prize. Eye on the prize.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Way back when the formula was developed that we have modified to utilize current available products, the original formula called for turpentine (a Stoddard solvent). It is adapted from a formula in Hatcher's Notebook, Frankford Arsenal Cleaner No.18 developed in the late 1800's. The original Hatcher recipe called for equal parts of acetone, turpentine, Pratts Astral Oil and sperm oil, and optionally 200 grams of lanolin added per liter. Any Stoddard solvent is in the family of mineral spirits. Mineral spirits (U.S.) or white spirits (U.K.), also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum), varsol, or, generically, "paint thinner", is a petroleum-derived common organic solvent. None are water soluable due to their petrolium origination. You'll find this interesting reading: https://www.majorsgunclub.org/edsred.html This article gets down to the carbon make up and presents tables of what a Stoddard Solvent is https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp79-c3.pdf
    Last edited by bbogue1; 08-09-2018 at 12:43 AM.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

A haven't found any one who will ship to me. No one on amazon that's for sure.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

This stuff works the best for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlburnumsElixir-300.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	225349 I use apple cider vinegar.

In Remembrance

Ed's Red, Ken's Red Oil (Kroil), etc... pretty much similar stuff..........

One of Firearm's New's (formerly Shotgun News) current authors is Gus Norcross. He does all of their current gunsmithing articles. I met Gus when I lived in Maine. He does all of my fussy work. I once traded Gus a web site for some work on my M1A. A link he had me put on his web site is the recipe he uses:
    Gus' Red Lube

I have been making it ever since, and it's wonderful stuff.
    BTW, here's a quick link to some of the articles Gus has written for Firearms News:
    Link for Gus' Articles

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppenwolf View Post
    This stuff works the best for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlburnumsElixir-300.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	225349 I use apple cider vinegar.
    ???? Vinegar????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12