Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Another 43 spanish, ugh!

Wink Another 43 spanish, ugh!

5-6 years ago I got the urge to get back into BPCR.

Picked up a Remington Argentine roller in 43 spanish, brass dies, molds and had alot of fun.
    During this time a friend of mine wanted to do the same. So we searched the local shops, shows and interweb for him a rifle. Found one online. Standard #1 in 43 spanish. He acquired brass and reloading supplys for it. Added a tang and globe sight and maybe fired 20-40 rounds through it, Accurate enough for BPCR!

Then overnite the roller became a safe queen, my buddy lost total interest due to the work involved in reloading bp. (more fun than work to me)

Anyway after sitting in his safe for 5-6 years he called me last month offering me the rifle and supplies. Seems he wants to sell it to fund a Henry in 45-70.
    So it looks like today I become its new owner. Not my idea, more the wifes as she is great friends with his wife, I'm sure you can figure out the rest of that story! LOL.

So now I need to decide what to do with the thing? I have several rollers in 45-70, one specifically for BPCR and one for just having fun on the range.
    Don't get me wrong, the 43 spanish is a good round, I've just been there done that and have moved on.
    Been toying with the idea of a roller in 44-40 or 45 colt just for play, not sure if I really want to spend the $$ having it redone?

Or give it to the wife and let her figure out what to do with it?? It was more her idea than mine after all!

Ugh, I love my wife, but sometimes she talks me into things I feel are best left alone.
    I believe I'm just venting......

Working our local gun show this weekend, guess I'll have to buy me an old rife to help me work through this greef.

Boolit Master
    a wife demanding you buy a gun???? Grounds for a divorce! You have a problem we all would enjoy(rebarreling to 44-40 that is).
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    a wife demanding you buy a gun???? Grounds for a divorce! You have a problem we all would enjoy(rebarreling to 44-40 that is).
    LOL my wife actually supports my habit, would not trade her. But sometimes I really wish she would say NO! LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    My wife is always telling me to buy. I stopped taking her to pawn shops and gun shows as it's kind of hard to negotiate when she is standing there saying "buy it, buy it"!!

Awwwww!!! Such po po boys, having wives that encourage buying more guns, WHAT EVER TO DO?

Now being a bit less jealous, i really like the idea of relining/rebarreling a number 1 to a handgun chamber. Sounds like a ton o fun. Do keep us updated on your decision and project progress.

Boolit Buddy
    If I had any money right now I would offer to take that roller off your hands.
    Ever since I had to hand one in 32 RF back to its owner I have been jonesing for one.
    I too have a great wife that supports my addiction. She more just shrugs her shoulders at me though instead of telling me to buy it.

Well made it through the first day of the show.

Yes, The roller showed up and yes it's now on our table. My wife and my 15yo son spent the day with me as well as my friend and his wife, was a good time.
    LOL even bought another rifle, a navy arms 1873 copy in 45 colt.
    Looks like my son has laid claim to that one. Thats for another thread elswhere.

The roller. Well a standard #1 with I believe a 34-36 inch barrel (will measure today).
    The bore is about perfect, nice and shiny with strong rifling.
    The action is very nice for it's age, nice and tight. And no pitting to the breech block or hamer. Rotary extracter. Receiver looks nice, one of the nicer ones for it's age. Not much for finish on it but still looks good.
    Wood is decent other than my friend shortened the forearm to make it look like a sporter.
    It is wearing a well built pedersoli long range tang sight and a old lyman globe sight siting on what looks like a short winchester front ramp fitted to the barrel.

It's been 3-4 years since I last seen this rifle, probably 5 years since it was last fired. I do remember it shot well and was fairly accurate.

I think judging by the condition of the bore this one may stay the way it is and find a new home.

Overall Saterday was good, wife and kid had a good time, I sold some stuff and as usual spent more than I made but did so with a good smile on my face!

Today we will see how the show goes. Will be me and just my boy, mamma's taking the day off.
    So no pressure there!

Remember, happy wife happy life!