Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabot for 308 Shoots 223

Banned

Sabot for 308 Shoots 223

A buddy of mine just sent me this, it takes a 223, and shoots it out of a .30 Does anyone have experience with these?

https://www.eabco.net/Sabot-Loaders-...t_p_13302.html

Remington loaded them as the 22 accelerator.

It was a novel idea that was marketed by Remington as "Accelerators" in .30-30, .308, and .30-06, but there is at least one company selling the .30 to .22 sabots to duplicate the idea in any .30 calibre cartridge you want to load them in. Don't expect stellar accuracy though ... they didn't generally shoot all that well.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    We gave them a run several years ago. Accuracy was not good. Not going down that route again.

Bill
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Banned
    Thanks. Just wondering. What about pressure and powder charges? I'm running H-4895 @ 41.5 grains behind 168 gr. SMK in the .308, but I'm not sure where to begin with something like this.

Been there, done that, with terrible accuracy. I had 1,000 of the sabots and finally ended up giving them away years ago to end my frustration at trying to hit something with them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned
    It does. saved me a couple bucks. Thanks guys.

Through my Fullbore Target rifle, These things shot an awesome 5 shot group of around 4 inches at 100 meters.. I wouldnt even bother..... A cheap 222 will do much better...

Boolit Master
    I bought a box of .30-06 Accelerator s just out of curiosity and the factory bullets shot about 1.5 moa. I used an inertia puller and checked the bullets - they were flatbase with an unusually sharp radius. I replaced a few factory bullets with some flat base Hornady s 55 grain and shot a group slightly larger than the factory rounds. I did notice the powder used looked a whole lot like imr 4227. I was hoping Remington would release the sabots/ powder as reloading components but they seemed to think the idea was not profitable or unsuitable for public consumption.
    Last edited by wmitty; 07-21-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Bub
    If my memory is right the LEO appeal to the company's say they were cop killers because they would not leave rifling marks on the bullet therefore they could not trace it to any rifle. I had a box of the 3030 in the early 80s don't even know what happen to them.

Banned
    Shotguns?

BlackoutBuilder; As you know 4895 can be down loaded to 50% density. You might give that a try or I would just load a few over a small charge of TiteGroup. They don't seem to shoot too well anyway so plinking a few rounds for fun with about 6 or 8gr. of TiteGroup wouldn't cost much but time. Gp

Boolit Master

Back in 1982 we tried the Remington 30-30 Accelerator rounds in a pretty sloppy Post 64 Winchester model 94. Best 100 yd group (prone over iron sights) was 1 & 1/2 inch for 5 rounds. Worst was twice as big. Pretty sure I still have a box of them laying around somewhere.
    I've been toying with the idea of loading sabot projectiles in a 30 carbine. But the load data put out by EABCO doesn't show any dramatic increase in velocity over standard 30 carbine ammo.

If you get a bout of temporary insanity and decide to pursue this have a look on the website of that company that is selling the .30 / .22 sabots. They have some loading table charts that you can print off. I did ... I still have a handful of these sabots that I was gifted about 30 years ago. I guess I should use them sometime just to shoot them up and get them off my bullet storage shelf ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    Thanks. Just wondering. What about pressure and powder charges? I'm running H-4895 @ 41.5 grains behind 168 gr. SMK in the .308, but I'm not sure where to begin with something like this.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Here is the link for the reloading data on another .30 to .22 sabot website ...

http://www.jdcomponents.com/loadinfo/loadinfo.html

Boolit Master
    I have played around with using sabots in my 30-06 before. I used 55gr bullets, and the velocity was incredible. The recoil was also light, and I got decent accuracy. I don't remember the charge I used but I used IMR 4320 for the powder.

From what I've heard, people have used these for pest control, and there wasn't much pest left to find after they were hit.

here is a site that might help http://www.ammo-one.com/SABOT.html
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Man
    Have done a lot of sabot loading for 308 to 224 and 12 gauge to 50 caliber for decades. These are my newest creation using 308 cases, H322, 30 caliber sabot and the new dot mil M855A1 projectiles. Call them "308 Slap Yo Momma" rounds. They are based of over a decade of work with M855 Green Tip military projectiles.

The new 62 grain projectiles were designed by the military to both punch Level 3 rifle armor out to about 80 yards in 5.56 and still fracture and create massive trauma in enemy combatants without armor. I load them in 22 Nosler to about 3,300 fps which lives them up to punch Level 4 to about 40 or 50 yards and Level 3 out to 175 yards. In 308 can run them at ludicrous speed but have learned if push past 4,000 fps for every 100 fps added your group size doubles. At just shy of 4,000 fps, so close the faster ones across chronograph where standard deviation high end passes 4,000 but average speed is about 3,990 fps they shoot two MOA from a decent 1:10 M1a which is same accuracy as a good FN FAL with Lake City M80 ball.

Keep at box with 2,000 M855's in specialty ammo locker and have 500 M855A1's in same locker. The new bullet is hard to get and expensive when you find them so keep a few hundred in 22 Nosler for the one 22 Nosler I built as a close clone to a Mk 12 Mod 1 with binary trigger for an extended distance AR 15 size and weight fighting rifle opposed to my 20" 22 Nosler varmint rifles. Shame the 22 CHeetah doesn't usually like bullets heavier than 53 grains or would be sending these projectiles with it as well as my 22-250's and 22-250 Ackley's.

Shooting sabots frustrate a lot of people but if you are willing to try a lot of projectiles and powders as you shoot your ladder tests will occasionally find a node that settles down into a nice shooting load and is quick. Biggest mistake is to try and run maximum velocity a bullet weight in a particular cartridge will run as as speed increases past your best groups accuracy drop off is exponential. Have a really nice load for 90 grain Berger VLD's in 300 Win Mag using sabots. While a 300 Win Mag can occasionally find a good load using 125 grain 30 caliber bullets in the 3,400 to 3,500 fps range have a sabot load using the 90 grain Berger that chronographs at 4,250 through a long slow twist barrel that shoot 1.25 MOA at 100 and 200 then open up as go through 300 and are at 2 MOA by 500 yards but still running flat and fast.

The Berger VLD's have been known for blowing up between 3,350 fps and 3,500 fps but they have been working on that issue for all the hotter wildcats running around but with sabots the rifling is not engraving the bullet and cutting or stressing the bullet jacket nearly as bad. Still can't go crazy as will spin drift or blow up if push too fast but at 4,400 fps from right twist and using a powder the combination likes they will float for a long time before begin to wander off course. Have tried the 62 grain M855 and M855A1 in 300 Win Mag with no luck. It's much easier to find a 308 AP round to load in the 300 to bust holes in hard items.

Remember you want 90% or better case fill, don't max out just because your computer model says can push a given bullet at 5,000 fps or faster, shoot lots of ladders with lots of projectiles to find a happy node you can tweak. Patience and lots of trial and error will learn trends the more you use them which will have you knowing what to avoid trying out of the gate and projectiles that should work based on others have seen do well. I am always looking for that combination that shoots 1 MOA and gives me 100 more fps than previous best load. If get another 50 fps and 1/4 MOA better groups take it for the moment and wait for another combination to try. Wish I could get a boat load of the aluminum and copper sabots dot gov has used in the past. Think they Wil shoot faster with less issues of the plastic/polymers in plastic and sloped glass. I suggest if your interested buy a 500 count bag as 100 count just gets you to point of frustration and giving up.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Kind of wondering if the typical 30 caliber 1/10 twist is part of some of the issues....1/10 at 4,000 fps may make them very dizzy .

With the Remington Accelerators to me it always looked as if magazine tests ended up with about the same accuracy as the test rifle would typically exhibit with 30 caliber ammo.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Now that we have a few more bullets to choose from I may shoot the rest of my sabots up. They didn't impress me out of an ' 06 back in the 90s.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast