Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sabot for 308 Shoots 223

Do you have any photos or specifications on these aluminum and copper sabots dot gov has used in the past.?

Boolit Man
    Here is some USGI SLAP

Some other sabot designs from around the globe, won't bore y'all with hundreds of pics but a few decent.

In the past I have used bullets to make sabots. One project that worked decently was using 180 grain JSP 357 pistol bullets, chucking in fixture made for drill press or mill and properly center a 0.307" and 0.257" holes that terminated with about 0.100" of lead still in bottom of jacket then use arbor press and seating punches to press in various 308, Barnes copper solids, 7.62 AP, 25 caliber mix of bullets including copper solids. Work up loads very carefully and play with bore size in pistol bullet so releases from sub caliber projectile when leaves bore but the two hold without rifle bullet slipping in hogged out pistol bullet then launch from 350 Rem Mag.

Have used 338 bullets to form sabots and load 257, 243 and 6mm projectiles from 338 Federal and 338 Lapua. This gets expensive. Have used cast gas check pistol bullets to seat 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" end mills in. A 44 magnum gas check pistol bullet with a 3/16" carbide end mill embedded is a nasty little toy. Done this with 9mm, 38, 357, 44, 45 and 454 Casull.

Believe there are some polymers that would make better sabots than can commonly buy now. I can buy commercially made AP ammo now in 7.62 that uses brass sabots to launch a hardened penetrator but am testing them against barriers am building for teller lines, corporate offices and now churches. Especially the children's care areas. Have found several companies making military and police only saboted ammo to deliver hardened penetrators but even as an armor contractor few will sell ammo to me and none will sell just their sabots. Thus still play with what's easiest to get.

As stated, my general rule is to use 30 caliber sabots for 224 bullets but have some rules to make it successful. I do have a 1:9 twist, 1:10, 1:11 and 1:12 twist rifles for testing. Use slow/medium powders, keep case fill at 90% to lightly compressed. Also keep velocities between 3,500 and maximum of 4,300 fps. Past 4,000 fps things get loopy and have exceeded 5,000 fps by a large number in past but had dangerous projectiles flying on odd paths lime angry bees.you can put together a 5,000 fps load for 25 yard accuracy but will go crazy by 50 to 75 yards based on how hard you push. Can try using light glue to keep bullets from slipping in sabots while in bore but sabot still separate after leaves muzzle. Have glued them in so well sabot rode to 100 yards which really got odd flight plans. Be careful and have fun.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

In Remembrance
    Made those decades ago. Found out the hard way accuracy improved dramatically when you got the air out. There is such a tight fit when the 22cal boolit is pressed into the sabot that air gets traped between the boolit and sabot. After that issue was solved accuracy got a lot better, still not a tack driver, just better...
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

I'm new here, so I am just wondering "why."
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Banned
    Sometimes it's fun to know stuff. Practically speaking however, knowledge learned in place A, is often applicable to place B, C, J, or Z.

Banned
    I never thought of any of my reloading as offensive or combative, other than some SHTF ammo.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Some would view handloaded defensive ammo as "Offensive", consider the source though, on that

Banned
    sheesh

i have a bag of those brown clear sabots in the pic of the 3 rounds, they have m855s in them, tried a couple loads in 308, they didnt show promise, so i gave up

Sometimes it's fun to know stuff. Practically speaking however, knowledge learned in place A, is often applicable to place B, C, J, or Z.
    it lets you do things you normally don't want to do, that's WHY
    That's fair, I am a strong advocate of doing stuff just because and seeing what happens, I was mainly wondering if there was some sort of advantage to putting a 22cal bullet through a 30cal bore that wouldn't be achieved with a 223 or 308.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Banned
    Not really. Im guessing it was a way to develop a new style AP rounds for the common defense.

When Remington first introduced their sabot rounds in .30-06, they touted it as being able to use your deer rifle as a varmint rifle. That was the first commercial production of sabot rounds, as I remember.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I tried them back in the 90s. Accuracy wasn't there beyond 50 yards.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    When Remington first introduced their sabot rounds in .30-06, they touted it as being able to use your deer rifle as a varmint rifle. That was the first commercial production of sabot rounds, as I remember.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Nice. Thanks. I would have been marketing a new rifle, not a new bullet.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    That actually makes a lot of sense.

Boolit Grand Master

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Remington Accelerators available in 308, 30-06 and 30-30 so you could shoot gophers in the Spring using your favorite hunting rifle.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Cat hunters here in Alberta would use them on treed cougars as the range was short and it wouldn't tear up the hide.Mostly in 30-30

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12