RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Marlin 336 Good News/Bad News

Boolit Master

Marlin 336 Good News/Bad News

Gent's I have a problem I'm hoping someone here can help with. First off, the good..... my 1967 336CS (.35 Rem) is a fine cast shooter!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3484.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	223308

However, the bad...…. when working the action to load the next round, occasionally there is a jam with the new round on the lifter and the next one in the magazine. This first happened when I was trying the RD 190gr and it was severed enough, that it turned the rifle into a single shot (any rounds in the magazine caused the jam). As this never happened with my jacketed (Speer 180gr or Sierra 200gr RN) loads, my suspicions was it's a OAL issue. When I got the RCBS 35-200, I assumed my troubles were over but today, I had two instances of this and had to remove the lever and bolt to clear it. If it's any help, I trim my cases to 1.9" and then load the RCBS 35-200 to the crimp groove for a OAL of 2.41".
    Any advice would be most welcomed.
    Thanks

Probably a worn cartridge lifter. Known as the dreaded "double feed".

BB

Boolit Master
    First thing is go around and make sure ALL the screws are tight, and even the little one on loading gate. That little one that can strip if over tightened but can loosen just enough and hang up carrier. There is only a couple pieces playing but worn they will fight. Marlin Owners and other sources can be researched for more. You can tweak nose of carrier to cover some wear on camming areas but dirt and loose would be my first look.

Boolit Master
    Most unusual measuring to minimum tolerances and yet jamming. Haven't encountered the same here. Best suggestion: As you know some second hand rifles their receivers were seldom if ever serviced maybe a total dismantling of your rifles receiver and though cleaning and a good observation of how parts works may resolve.

Boolit Master

Remove your entire cartridge lifter and inspect and remove any burrs you come across. Chances are you will find some burrs or dings in the carrier pin. Just remove the burrs, don't change any contour or angles.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

You have what appears to be marlin jam 1. I have the same with my new to me 1951 336 35 remington. The longest I have tried is 2.35 OAL though but I plan on using the lee copy of your bullet. I trim to 1.915, after that I neck size only. If I still get the jam, I will address the lifter which is most likely going to low and allowing to to enter.

And you don’t have to disassemble the gun to fix the marlin jam. I use a small screw driver to enter through the loading gate to push the second cartridge back into the mag tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    First thing is go around and make sure ALL the screws are tight, and even the little one on loading gate. That little one that can strip if over tightened but can loosen just enough and hang up carrier. There is only a couple pieces playing but worn they will fight. Marlin Owners and other sources can be researched for more. You can tweak nose of carrier to cover some wear on camming areas but dirt and loose would be my first look.
    This is really good advice. I've encountered this situation several times, and if it is the source of the problem tightening up the loading gate will fix it. Certainly something to check.

Boolit Master
    As smkummer says -- you have a wee touch of the "Marlin jam #1". Here is a link to a thread where I posted some pictures of my fix using JB Weld and also has input on a heating/bending technique. Fix the dang thing right and you won't have to worry about getting every round of ammunition the exactly perfect length. https://www.levergunscommunity.org/v...it=+marlin+jam