Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redding Match Grade 3BR Powder Measure, oil it?

Boolit Master

Redding Match Grade 3BR Powder Measure, oil it?

I bought a new in the box Redding Match Grade 3BR Powder Measure This is an expensive tool. I took it apart because I could see rust on the naked iron in some places.
    A little scrubbing with very fine oiled steel wool removed the rust.
    Reddings instructions say to never oil it. So how does Redding expect it not to rust? It’s iron, iron rusts. I wipe off the oil prior to using this machine. After use I wipe it off again and re-oil it.
    I also dispense black powder with it, works great with BP even though Redding says don’t use it with BP. Redding is probably worried about iron parts clunking together and spark. The measures parts never clunk.

Anyone else oil their iron frame Redding powder measure?

Boolit Master

Iron = sparks and NOT good for black powder
    Brass = Lyman 55 powder measure = better for black powder
    Silicon is better for powder measure, spray and CLEAN
    Oil will kill powder, cause jams, and accumulate carbon YUK
    Good luck with your FINE Redding

I do not oil my powder measures.

Mike

p.s.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyma...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I've had a BR3 for 20+ years and have never oiled or used graphite on it.

Boolit Grand Master

A light coat of auto wax or the lee water solulable case wax applied let dry and buff on the metal parts. I usually give it 2 coats. Helps a lot preventing rust and is a dry enough sealant that it dosnt affect powder. Mine hasn't been an issue in 25 yeas of use. but when I do clean it, the drum and housing get the wax coat. This also provides some lubrication for the moving parts.

If you can find it vanishing oil works also apply a light coat wipe excess off and let evaporate. We had it at work for high finished precisson machine parts to preserve them. The smallest container I seen was 5 gallons but may be available in smaller quanities. Kroil allowed to soak in then wiped dry might work also.

Even dry mine dosnt rust normally. I have an rcbs that the large drum will rust with out the wax treatment.

I have seen it recommended to ground these measures when using BP to remove static electricity from them. Most of the measures recommended for BP have metal hoppers and all metal construction.

Boolit Master
    Degreasing and re-lubing my Redding powder measure is quite a pain as it’s very time consuming.
    I’ll give the automotive wax a try. Thanks for the tip. I have a high quality paste wax and the new liquid wipe on wipe off polymer wax type. I’ll try the paste wax first to see if it halts the rusting.

While you have it apart you could treat it with Ezzox. This stuff is great at preventing rust, and leaves no oily residue.

Boolit Grand Master

Some of my Wilson tools, like the case holders and case gauges are made of steel and will rust. I've had good results by waxing them. I have used Silicon spray on things that could not have oil on them.

Boolit Master
    I use Lock Ease spray. No oily residue after the carrier evaporates. Graphite is the lube which is compatible with smokeless powder and is anti-static. Works at subzero temps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I've had a BR3 for 20+ years and have never oiled or used graphite on it.
    /\ Ditto for me

Boolit Master
    Hornady One-Shot cleaner/degreaser is your friend. Spray/clean it good with the One-shot and you also have an excellent rust-resister. Hornady calls for using it on their brand of powder measure before you use it the first time but the little Redding will also appreciate the treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    I bought a new in the box Redding Match Grade 3BR Powder Measure This is an expensive tool. I took it apart because I could see rust on the naked iron in some places.
    A little scrubbing with very fine oiled steel wool removed the rust.
    Reddings instructions say to never oil it. So how does Redding expect it not to rust? It’s iron, iron rusts. I wipe off the oil prior to using this machine. After use I wipe it off again and re-oil it.
    I also dispense black powder with it, works great with BP even though Redding says don’t use it with BP. Redding is probably worried about iron parts clunking together and spark. The measures parts never clunk.

Anyone else oil their iron frame Redding powder measure?
    Your not supposed to reload in the rain ?

I've used Johnson's paste wax on the cylinder of both my 3br and 30br and not had rust with the added benefit of being a slicker operating powder measure.

Boolit Master
    Mine is about 25 yrs old. I wipe down the outside parts every year or two but have never disassembled it for cleaning and oiling and it functions just fine with no signs of corrosion. It sits covered on my bench when not in use and my basement is damp. I do empty it of all powder after each use.

Boolit Grand Master

Any of the spray on Dry Lubes work well on powder measures. And seem to help with rust. I use the stuff on my boolit moulds and things I don't want oily or greasy.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I think the BP warning is two fold, static electricity building up on the plastic tube and shearing grains causing detonation as the powder measure is operated.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing to watch for using the newer automotive waxes is for adrasives some have a very fine rubbing type polish added to them to remove fading. Used as a lube in a measure or other equipment that is there and working every stroke.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Iron = sparks and NOT good for black powder
    Brass = Lyman 55 powder measure = better for black powder
    Silicon is better for powder measure, spray and CLEAN
    Oil will kill powder, cause jams, and accumulate carbon YUK
    Good luck with your FINE Redding

I do not oil my powder measures.

Mike

p.s.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyma...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

So bought the Lyman #55 Black Powder Measure. I was a bit annoyed to find a little rust in the bottom of the swirling tool marks on the big IRON #3 side inside the channel that holds the #2 medium slide.
    This measure got 1 iron slide, just happens to be the one that turns against the iron frame.
    What a con job for the much admired Lyman 55 BP version.

The triangular steel plate that riveted to the middle slide that is threaded for the small slide screw adjuster well there is barely 10 thou of metal thickness on the top of the threaded hole. I’ll need to find out if I can order a replacement middle slide. I hope it’s not custom fitted, making it non replaceable piece by piece.

I’m going to keep this measure, hey you not a reloader if if you don’t have a #55 collecting dust in the shop. I’ll use it for BP where +-.2grs won’t show up at short range.

But with iron rotating on iron it’s absolutely no different safety wise than my Redding 3BR.

Those posters than said they never graphited their measure, well every time you put powder through your measure it you just re-graphited again. The instructions for my old LEE Perfect Powder Measure said to work a pound of powder through it to initially lube it with the graphite from the powder coating. I’ll do the same with this new Lyman 55 BP Classic Measure.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I've used Johnson's paste wax on the cylinder of both my 3br and 30br and not had rust with the added benefit of being a slicker operating powder measure.
    Been doing this for 15 years.

I coat all the interior surfaces. Really slicks up a fine powder measure.

No it doesn't affect the powder, I would of noticed by now.

Boolit Master

There is enough graphite on smokeless powder that you should never have to lube it in any way.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Spray on dry lube works well.
    I've used "3 in 1 Garage door lube", when I can find it.
    I've also used spray on Moly lube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast