WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimming to Raise Scope

Boolit Master

Shimming to Raise Scope

I bought some high rings to mount a scope on a Savage Model 25 in 22 Hornet and the bell of the scope touches the barrel.
    I shimmed the scope with two pieces of business card, aprox .060”and it clears now.
    My question is weather it would be better to shim between the bases and the barrel?

Boolit Master
    If you shim between bases and barrel, I would use a metal shim, brass if you have it available, then use some locktite or such so that things don't move around. I have done them both ways. If at the range and I need to shim, thin cardboard or a piece of target paper work for a temporary fix.

Boolit Grand Master

I would recommend shimming between bases an barrel with a little twist to it. I would obtain a poece of stock with the same dia as the barrel receiver ( where the blocks set) rough up the shim and bases good and clean then epoxy the shim to the bases clamping on the round stock to form the new base. Left a little proud on the edges the shim can be filled and then finished to not show at all. holes can be spotted thru after shim is glued on and cured.

On the hornets trajectory adding .010 -.020 more to back ring would add 5 -8 mins elevation in the bases also. Her you would want to mount the rings on a bar then remove from bases. Remount rings to bases this maintains spacing and alighnment. glue shims and clamp to round stock with clamp in the center. This might help keepscope centered better and allow more elevation adjustments over distances.

Boolit Master
    I've always used copper flashing as that is what I've had available and I have different thickness. Anytime I come across a piece or scrape of copper flashing I always tuck it away for just that reason.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Brownells has shims that raise the base. I used them to level bases but they work great.

Boolit Master

I got some some .030” brass strip at a local hobby shop.
    The card stock is only.010”, so I will have.010” extra space under the scope.
    Thanks for the help!

Boolit Bub
    Return the rings and buy a set of Extra High rings.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PTCSmith View Post
    Return the rings and buy a set of Extra High rings.
    I bought the rings on line and shipping would be almost as much as the rings!

Boolit Master

I cut the brass strip and drilled the holes and used some longer screws and used the bases to press the brass strip to the contour of the receiver!
    The shims work like a charm!

Boolit Master
    Brass or copper. Brass would be better... won’t marr your finish in my opinion and go under the base if possible

Boolit Master
    I had that issue with both my slug guns that have Unertl scopes, 2 inch models and the end hit just as I was set to shoot at 200 yards. The default block height was way too low so I ordered higher mount blocks. They came with the correct length screws too. So I would suggest buying mounts that are higher, most reliable way to do it.
    John

Boolit Master
    al. soda cans are .006 thick. you can stack them up they are very flexible to mold and are free.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    al. soda cans are .006 thick. you can stack them up they are very flexible to mold and are free.
    The soda can may be free but I would have had to make 10 of them instead of 2!

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a load of old brass shim stock at a sale a long time ago and am still using it. I prefer one shim of the right thickness and I usually acraglass it to the bottom or the mount after it has been fitted and formed. hen I have to cut one if I am short I make up a couple extra in case I am in a hurry some time.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Being a diabetic, I shim everything with the used shin plastic test strips
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Being a diabetic, I shim everything with the used shin plastic test strips
    Never thought of using test strips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try some Ultra High rings?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

I had a scope on my old Rem 572 where it was just the front ring that was slightly low. I could never adjusted the crosshairs up high enough to sight it in. I used a folded plastic drinking straw under the scope on just the front ring. Being a 22rf...it didn't need to be torqued down until it bled....I would think a 22 Hornet wouldn't need that either. I used plastic to avoid moisture wick issues that cardboard would cause. I had that scope mounted for 37 years before the cheap scope fogged and I replaced both it and the rings just 3 years ago.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 08-19-2018 at 08:04 AM.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Sometimes I shim with narrow strip of tape until it is aligned just right with the shims compressed by the base screws finger tight.. Then I fill in the space with epoxy and put the screws in finger tight.
    After the epoxy is hard, I torque the base screws hard. The gunsmiths for rifles going to Africa frown on this, and use Solder. The sniper guys use the same system as me.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I've had to do it, (not often), I've used .22 cases to make a shim. It worked very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast