RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: I love my Remington's but why don't they catch up with the times?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

I love my Remington's but why don't they catch up with the times?

There is no way I'd ever part with any of my 700's but why have they not gone to a similar type accutrigger figuration that is more user friendly for the average person to adjust and a metal bedding block system to eliminate myself having to purchase a HS prescion stock for every one I own. I have adjusted down their factory triggers quite a bit but they all leave me unsatisfied and ending replaced by timneys or similar.

The reason I bring this up is I have purchased a couple if cheap ruger Americans last year and out of the box before I do any tinkering both cheap guns shot more accurately and the triggers were night and day difference compaired to the factory Remington's. I feel there are few manufacturers that can compete with quality of the Remington action dollar for dollar but they need to bed their rifles and update the trigger groups to catch up with the times. I don't mind paying more for the Remington's with these upgrades but I'm sure it would cost a lot less with the guns mass produced this way from factory than to purchase my upgrades afterwards. It normally will cost me another $500 after purchase for just a replacement trigger and a full length bedded stock to compete with the accuracy of a already done cheaper American lately. I can buy an American for what it costs just for the upgrades...Not trying to sell the American by any means. They have quite a bit of quality control issues. Both the ones I bough looked like the bolt was machined with a rock and a chisel, the bluing was comming off both actions and barrels, the composite stocks were marred and scratched up, and per my preference I did polish the bolt group along with the triggers and lightened them quite a bit.

It bums me out but I'm sure Remington's sales have been suffering due to the entry level rifles like Ruger and similar firearms with all the accuracy upgrades. Hopefully Remington sees this and someone gets with the program as I don't ever want to see them fold up in my lifetime.

It kinda reminds me of leupold optics and reconyx game cameras. Both were ahead of their time when they first came out but are overpriced now for old technology. My cheap $100 trail cameras will give me better quality photos and are more sensitive...and my $300 Nikon pro staff 5's are more crisp and clear than my leupold mark 4's.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-13-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The 700 I just bought does have an Accu-trigger style adjustment but with no blade in the middle of it, a good thing in my book. The plastic stock on it is alot stiffer than the older ones were. I think I am going to be happy with it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Why do you wonder???
    100+ years ago gunmakers cared for and was proud of their product.
    Todays bean counters could'nt give a toss about what you feel and want, they only care about $$$!
    Remington Corp bought Marlin and drove it into the ground, and with that H&R bit the dust.

No Sir, one single lawyer fee will outweigh many a satisfied customer, so lawyer triggers and cheap stocks generate more money than caring for their clientel.
    Last edited by Preacher Jim; 07-16-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Boolit Master

I have to agree... most of mine have Jewell triggers and 40XBR takeoffs that I bedded and refinished. I do have a couple of MBR's and love them as well.

Boolit Master

its all about the benjamin's at remingturd $$$$$

Boolit Master
    Remington's original 700 trigger was better than any of the accutrigger type stuff. If you knew what you were doing you could get them safely below a pound and very crisp. But then came along the dumb donkey lawyers and here we are.

I'm pretty sure my new 700 ADL has a regular trigger, not the user adjustable Accutrigger type. It has no adjustments visible with the stock removed, and the trigger breaks like the old ones did. Kind of heavy but super clean break and no creep. I really like it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Remington jettisoned the excellent Marlin bolt action and brought out their fugly 783. It's uglier than a Savage axis and that takes some doing. I'm not a fan of anybodys Accutrigger clone system unless the safety blade is pinned back or removed.
    My .02 nothing more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Exactly. It's like they said, "let's take a great rifle and make it so hideous that no one would ever guess that it used to be a Marlin." Now that the 700 ADL is slowly coming back, I really don't see any point in continuing the 783. The retail cost is pretty much the same if you subtract $40.00 or whatever the cheap scope and mounts adds to the price of the 700 ADL. Nobody is going to say they would rather have a fugly wannabe Axis instead of a 700 either.