Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
PBcastcoReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: To polish, or not to polish, that is the question.

Boolit Master

To polish, or not to polish, that is the question.

I HAD planned on getting a .327 Fed Mag to carry around my place. Something light that might have been able to do double duty as a carry gun. Well, that was before I found a Ruger sp101 stubby in 357 mag for a killer deal. I'm weak, give me a break!

The gun is more or less pristine. It has some light scratches on the left side above the trigger though. Probably the type of thing a lead away cloth might buff out. Well, I'm not a fan of the utilitarian look that these revolvers have when they are stock (mainly the grips), so I ordered some birdshead style finger groove grips. Now here's the question. The finish lends itself pretty well to polishing. It already has a slight polish and honestly a few hours of rubbing would probably produce a mirror shine. I would leave the top strap dull so that I can still shoot on sunny days of course. This will be a carry gun, it will get shot a lot, and it will get dirty. I know a mirror polish is horrible about showing smudges, but at the same time, it's so pretty!

So do I leave it semi gloss, or do I go crazy and turn this thing into a work of art?

Hi Aaron,

If it pleases you, do it. It certainly won't hurt the gun.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    Agree with Tatume. Just remember, a high shine will show the smallest scratches.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I would polish out the trigger and be done with it. Everything else will show all over the gun.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

That polished finish looks like it would blind everyone around even in moonlight. Pretty as art; but would suffer surface blemishing from carry/use.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    This is kind of what I was worried about. I love that high polish, but I'm worried about how hard it will be the keep it that way. Maybe meet it half way? Just polish it enough to get any scratches out and maybe brighten it up a bit without going full mirror shine?

Boolit Master
    Why polish a carry gun? It will just get more scratches and rub marks along the way.

Maintaining a polished finish is not difficult, IF you don't scratch it. Once scratched you have a long process to get the scratch properly polished, ie, not a 'dished' finish.

FWIW, I loved the little SP101. Great gun for outdoors carry.

Boolit Master
    I would not polish....but it is your gun. I would buff out the scratches and blend the rest with the most appropriate 3m abrasive mat (I usually used the maroon one to blend a Model 66 and 686 S&W). I like the matt finish.
    Everyone has their own taste.

For some reason Rugers don't maintain re-sale value the same way Smiths do. I wouldn't be concerned about the revolver's value.

What kind of holster do you plan on carrying this in? If it's made of Kydex, I'd say no. If'n it's a nice leather holster, that covers most of the firearm, I'd go for it.

Worst that can happen is that you get tendinitis.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    ~Ben Franklin

If it was my pistol and I wanted it shiny I would shine it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Polish for a working gun? Why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Why polish a carry gun? It will just get more scratches and rub marks along the way.
    This ^^^ makes the most sense to me.

As others have said, it's your girl and your dance and if you like the fancy dress, well, I get that.

Having said that, I had a small farm with the big yard and I recently sold it because I grew tired of spending all my 'free time' keeping the place up. Kept me so busy, I had no time to enjoy anything.

A mirror finish on a carry gun is gonna be like that. High maintenance.

But it'll sure look nice.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 07-13-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got one I've had for 20years and love it! I'm not crazy about shiny finishes but it's your gun have fun with it!

Boolit Grand Master

I have done this for a couple guys and when done its is a pleasing finish. In the pic above handling with gloves is the truth, every finger print, scratch, ding, scrape and handling mark stands out much more than other finishes. One reason the bright nickel plated finishes get away with this is the hardness of the plating when done its in the 65-68 Rockwell range. Stainless is probably in the 30-35 rc range much softer material. The finish with all the lines north and south handling allows the finish to hide carry marks and dosnt allow them to become as obvious as quickly. I really like a matte blasted finish on a carry gun it allows preservatives to stay in the valleys and not be wiped off handling. The matte finish dosnt have any direction to it and reduces glare and shine a lot. Even leaving the rib and top strap alone every surface on the polished firearm reflects light in some direction.

Boolit Master
    After doing some thinking and reading the comments here. I think I'll forgo polishing for now. I think I'd love it at first, but not after a few weeks of carry.

Thanks fellas.

Moderator Emeritus

With a rare exception or two...I prefer tools (and guns) to look stock...and it is more than OK for them to look used.
    that's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001