Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used to HATE swaging primer pockets

Banned

Used to HATE swaging primer pockets

I Used to HATE swaging primer pockets.
    Just got done converting apr 500 military 30-06 into 8MM
    I was dreading the primer pocket swaging ( I have an RCBS primer pocket swager tool - 2)
    I always end up having to bang the press handle several times to dislodge the swaged brass.
    I was sooooo close to getting a bench top primer pocket swager, I didn't care what one cost!!
    I sat there looking at the Mink oil I used for forming the cases and put just a hint of mink oil on the swager and WOW,
    I mean WOW the brass just slid right off with no "banging" I could do 5 - 10 cases before putting another hint of mink oil on again.
    PS the mink oil worked wonderfully in reforming the brass also

Boolit Bub
    What an outstanding idea! I'll have to try that the next time I swage primer pockets

Boolit Master

I have almost chucked my RCBS swager tool for the exact same reason. I'm coming into a bunch of LC .30-06 cases soon and can't wait to try this. Thanks for the tip!!!

Thumbs up

Yep, a little lube works wonders! (Almost tossed mine too!)

Boolit Grand Master

I hate crimped primers! I have the RCBS tool and the Dillon tool. I also have 2 or 3 different cutting tools. None of them work perfect everytime. I just about prefer using a carbide countersink and a cordless drill. The lube does help when swaging.

Boolit Master

I bet Imperial sizing wax would work, too.

Banned

I use the CH4D tool
    No lube, no problems
    The RCBS tool is a contraption and a PITA

Moderator Emeritus

I have/use the Dillon tool, which is problem-free for me on, say 98% of .30-'06 cases. I'm about 2/3rds through roughly 3,000 cases in this batch. The only "problem" I encounter is having the height adjusted so I do not shear off any brass by it not being "right on". To help alleviate this, I cut a few strips of brass shim stock, and if I "know" I'm not centered on primer pocket, I remove the case, add a strip beneath where it will be placed, reinsert it, and voila! -- problem solved. All of the brass I'm working on is CMP military, once fired stuff, of quite a few different manufacturer, as well as year made, difference. I find it interesting that there apparently IS a difference to require the shimming for a few -- but, as my older son oft' says, "it is what it is". Even with my strips, however, I still find (too many ) tiny crescents of brass which was cut after each session with this tool.

Boolit Master

I hand cut mine... have worn out a tool or 2 on 06, 223 and 45's. I also cut the pocket and flash hole at the same time on the 06 and 223's.

Boolit Grand Master

Heres a little trick for this also. get a small plastic container that clips closed. A shallow pill bottle will work also. cut a piece of dense foam ( similar to the old lube pads or ink pads) and set in it. work some lube into it. Now simply press the base of the case into the foam it will leave a nice coat of lube on the edge of the primer pockets for the swage to pick up. I use this even with my Dillon super swage tool.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! Just watched utube video and had to order one. got serveral thousand pockets to swage and this will be a blessing! Thanks jmort !
    Last edited by shortlegs; 07-13-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I bet Imperial sizing wax would work, too.
    Redding Reloading - Imperial Sizing Die Wax 2oz. container
    by Redding Reloading $17.43

Hornady 9989 Case Sizing Wax $9.99 Prime 2.25 oz

FIEBING'S SNOW PROOF MINK OIL PASTE 3 OZ US $5.49 -(online auction site)

Fiebing's Mink Oil Paste, 6 Oz. - Softens, Preserves and Waterproofs Smooth Leather and Vinyl, One Size by Fiebing's $7.15 Prime

I can't see why this wouldn't work NOW Solutions Lanolin Pure, 7-Ounce NOW Foods $9.94

2 oz is practically a lifetime supply.

Boolit Buddy
    I've bought Dillon swager many moons ago, never looked back and it doesn't require any lubricant on the rod.

a trick i found out to get brass off the RCBS swager is put a 1/8" thick washer under the over cup shroud where it sits down on the press ram, when you push the handle up, it pulls the swager out of the hole easily. i hated the dillon swager as you have to sort and seperate cases , then adjust for that brand. my dillon swager sits on the shelf where i put it 3 years ago

Boolit Grand Master

Tried the RCBS, tossed it in the trash. Tried the CH4D, ripped off to many case heads, tossed it in the trash. Bought the Dillon Super Swage and couldn’t be happier. Should have bought it from the start. Would have saved money and countless ruined cases. It’s a buy once, cry once purchase. The only thing better is an automated 1050 w/ the built in swager.

Boolit Master
    I have the Dillon and RCBS. I prefer the Dillon. It is quick and trouble free for me.

Boolit Master
    Been using the Dillon super swage for several years and did all the tricks with it, spring thing to fling case into box. Kinda fun, every once in a while sends one across room. Never had a problems with 556,haven’t processed larger tho. May need Mink on large primer pockets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Heres a little trick for this also. get a small plastic container that clips closed. A shallow pill bottle will work also. cut a piece of dense foam ( similar to the old lube pads or ink pads) and set in it. work some lube into it. Now simply press the base of the case into the foam it will leave a nice coat of lube on the edge of the primer pockets for the swage to pick up. I use this even with my Dillon super swage tool.
    This is a good idea!

I hand lube the case head for spinning primer pocket cutting tools so that the shoulder of the cutter does not gall the face of the case head. A foam pad will give more control on that procedure as well as softening the primer crimp swagging operation.

My beat up old mitts thank you country gent!

Three44s

Banned
    I ended up trading for a Dillon super swage.

trying to slide those 223's around the swaging pin hidden up under the RC IV was a PITA

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The RCBS tool is a contraption and a PITA
    Yes--why, yes it is. This brought a smile today.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast