RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Using your Star with powder-coating boolits?

Boolit Master

Using your Star with powder-coating boolits?

Thinking about taking the plunge into powder-coating ... Smoke4320's powders and the clear in particular. Kinda like the plain looks of cast boolits and do not see the need for multi-color boolits. Have a couple of Stars and would have to completely clean the sizing dies and clean out the lube if my understanding is correct. Anybody done this? What are the pros and cons? Would appreciate any insights. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    I’ve sized PCed boolits in my classic star lube-sizer with no issues.

Based on my experience, if you cast, size, than PC you will need clean dies or to clean the bullets with acetone before PCing. You will also end up sizing again at the end.

If you PC than size I’ve found a little left over lube makes things move a little smoother and no need to do any deep cleaning.

Either way it’s pretty easy.

Hope this help.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I’ve sized PCed boolits in my classic star lube-sizer with no issues.

Based on my experience, if you cast, size, than PC you will need clean dies or to clean the bullets with acetone before PCing. You will also end up sizing again at the end.

If you PC than size I’ve found a little left over lube makes things move a little smoother and no need to do any deep cleaning.

Either way it’s pretty easy.

Hope this help.
    Gotta second that! That is the way I do it.

I picked up the Star adapter from NOE to hold my NOE push trough sizing dies. Now that I have that I will not use use my old Lee push thru again. They push through before you get the get to the point of actuating the lube pump. Best thing to use for PC. I just set my punch deep.

Boolit Master

Thank you very much for the responses. When I communicated with Smoke, he said he sized his boolits before and after powder-coating. If a boolit was much oversized, I can see how that would/could be necessary. Most of my boolits I *think* (read *hope*) are close enough to only require sizing after powder-coating. Anyway, I will find out once the powder arrives and I give it a try. What about the air-soft BBs? Are they really necessary? Big Boomer

Boolit Master

Using your Star with powder-coating boolits?

I’m no expert but from my experience the BBs help the powder get on the whole bullet without being too thick. You can see the threads from when the forum members developed the method a few years ago but if you just throw in powder you’ll end up with uneven coat.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info, StuBach. My guess is that this is an angle that gets lost somewhere in the particulars. I'd read of others using them and recommending them but in some of the videos I've watched they were not used and the fella doing the powder coating seemed successful without them. Sent Smoke an e-mail about his supply and have him send some along with the order. Big Boomer