WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New to Casting in Ft Myers FL Area

Boolit Mold

New to Casting in Ft Myers FL Area

I hope this is in the correct spot to post, if not let me know where a better one would be...

I'm about to take the plunge into boolit casting and was wondering if there was someone in my general area that might let me look over their shoulder once or twice.

Also I want to slug a .40 cal pistol barrel and a 9mm pistol barrel. I need a sacrificial pill or two for each to do so. Again if there is someone in my area that would be great, I'll be happy to drop some cash into the lead fund to acquire a handful of boolits that I can mangle.

I should add that for the foreseeable future I'm not really up for getting sucked into clubs etc (even though it is a logical place to learn) just because of time constraints. I can shoot legally/safely on my property and a trip to the range consists of actual shooting time so I can get away with the time spent doing that but not set weekly/monthly meetings.

P.S. Oh, Hi everyone! Nice to meet you!
    Last edited by SwampShooter; 07-12-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to say Hi

Boolit Grand Master

welcome to the forum. enjoy the new hobby and work from there.

Been awhile since I have been in that area but Everglades ammunition should be your friend down there. Do not know if they sell any casting mats but they have good sales and prices on reloading components (Brass, primers, jacketed bullets, re loaders etc.

i started in the casting world only a year ago. i knew 0 about ''how to''',and because of this site i now casts my own boolits with total confidence ,i even coat them (hi tek) ,and my casts are as accurate as any jacketed commerical bullets.

this forum is an invaluable source of '''know how'''', castboolit members are truely pro casters, you are at the right place to learn it all.

while i'm quite new to it, i can tell you that i have 0 regrets spending my money on the best moulds available on the market. accurate moulds, MP, noe....and such custom mold makers turn your money into an investment. such moulds are piece of art,and if you treat them good they will last a lifetime.

SwampShooter, I live in Cape Coral and you are welcome to come and look at my setup. It is very plain and serves my purpose. Email me at wsardi7@gmail.com and we can set up a time that is convenient for both.
    Wild Bill 7

Boolit Master

I am in the Jacksonville area if you are ever in the neighborhood.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome Aboard! It sounds like you have already made a couple of new friends!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the welcomes. Apparently I joined here in '12 (wow!) and have been lurking on and off since then. I knew I would not really be able to start casting right away but wanted to poke around every once in a while. I've been reloading for about 5-6 years. I started with J-word bullets but moved to plated partially because of $$$, well what I mean is that it allowed me to shoot some more for the same amount of $$$. I also went to plated because it seemed like a good intermediate step. I have loaded some commercial cast .45 just to mess with "real" lead a little, but the fact of the matter is I can buy plated for the same price so there is no advantage. They worked just fine, no leading, and accuracy was still better than I can shoot. All in all I think I'll stick with plated over the high volume commercial stuff if those are the only options. I bought a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition for the data when I started running plated. Time to reread the front of the manual. I own a Dillon 650 and a Lee challenger press. I'll probably pick up a couple more cheap single stage presses as I come across them.

@ Time Killer: Yep I've been doing business with Everglades for a while (in fact I bought a Dillon 650 from them earlier this year). Unfortunately They just shut down their retail store and now only have a limited number of "pick up only" hours. That is going to complicate matters.

@ glockfan: I have no doubt I will enjoy this. Seems like you can make this as simple or as complicated as you like. Everything from a ladle over a good campfire and tumble lube in a low pressure cartridge to pushing a 3gr boolit up to 5,000 FPS that requires lube made at the stroke of midnight using the excretions of the unobtainium beetle (I jest). I'm sure it will be a fun journey!

@ Wild Bill 7: Will do!

@ Rcmaveric: I'll keep that in mind.

Swamp

Everglades has free shipping on almost everything. I'm pretty sure I have some 9 and 40 bullets you can have. I didn't cast then so I don't know how hard they are but you are welcome to some of them. I live in Cape Coral but the bullets are at my shop in Port Charlotte. If you are interested, let me know and I'll see if I have what you need and we'll meet up.

Boolit Mold
    Yes Everglades Ammo does ship a lot of their stuff free and I will certainly consider them. Thanks for the offer, things got kinda sideways, let me see how things shake out.

Boolit Master

SwampShooter, I'm in N. Ft. Myers and I have 1000 commercially cast 155gr .401 boolits that I have no use for. Shoot me a pm and we will see if we can work something out.