WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Marlin 30-30 re-bore to 38-55

Boolit Buddy

Marlin 30-30 re-bore to 38-55

Working on getting one done so just need some feedback/advice. I was thinking 1-16 twist for 200-268gr bullets J and cast with a .376 groove. The original Win was 1-18" and the Ballards 1-20" Was thinking in a pinch factory ammo could be used.I have brass,dies + molds already.The smith here is big on gain twist but I'm not unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Boolit Master

I think gain twist might have some advantage with lead boolits, as it would allow the boolit to enter and fill the rifling without the harsh high speed spin that will likely cause it to strip on the faster twist rifling.

The only experience I had with gain twist rifling was with the 6.5 Carcano I once owned. The gun in excellent condition cost me $8.00 a box of cartridges was $30.00 a lot of money for a 16 year old farm hand making 75¢ an hour!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Your A-10 Warthogs 20mm and 30mm are also gain twist.I always thought it would slur the bullet as the rate of spin increased. Lilja flirted with the idea and went back to traditional.Bartlien makes them.Pope used them with his competitive SS and cast.

Boolit Master
    I have a Smith gain twist 32 40 on a 1885 and it does shoot good but I don't know that you need all that for a lever gun. I also have a "94 Winchester rebored by JES from 30 30 to 38 55 and it shoots better than the original. He charges only $225 with return shipping included. I don't know what twist he uses but I don't care as mine will shoot up 285g bullets just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I think JES uses 1-15" @ .376 groove Have you shot 200-255gr bullets through it and if so how did it shoot.Mine is a hunter not a target gun.Any 336 I ever owned would shoot jacketed under an 1" at 100 yards with handloads it liked.I'll settle on under 2" for lever and hunting purposes.Ron Smith lives a 1/2hr south of me and he is known for his gain twist barrels.He once made a barrel out of re-bar to prove it could be done.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    I have shot 145g to 285g bullets with what I consider success. The heavier 240 to 285 will flirt with 2". The 145 is a gallery bullet I use for short range cans. The 2"(sometimes) is as good as I can get but don't have a Marlin. I don't scope levers so don't know if that might make a difference.

Boolit Buddy
    About 3gr of pistol powder and an appropriate sized ball should be a good 20 yards chicken load from what I've read.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	223827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	223827
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Gain twists are a throwback to black powder days and might have an advantage if you load the 38-55 with BP. They started in common use in the Civil war muskets so that Minnie ball could be seated easier after a lot of shooting. I doubt if the gain twist with smokeless would offer any advantages. In a lever rifle a faster twist may not offer much advantage either as the 300 plus grain bullets may not chamber. Probably would not hurt either.

DP

I have a Win 94 and a Glenfield 36G, both 30-30. I want to send one to JES for the 38-55 treatment. But which one? The 36G is a tack driver; the 94 is not but It's been in the family longer than me.
    Decisions, decisions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I do prefer going with gunsmiths' recommendation in general; the other aspect being, if there are any problems there isn't 'that thing' that takes the blame.

WallNutt, did your 94 require any action work to feed 38-55?

Boolit Master
    None. When I got it back, it fed just as well as when it was a 30 30. I never had a lever until the 30 30 a couple of years ago and learned you have to work the action with a little "authority".

I spoke to Jesse today. It's going to his house soon.