Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Peep sights on Miroku Win M92 357

Boolit Buddy

Peep sights on Miroku Win M92 357

I have a Williams receiver sight on my Win M94 which was mounted in holes already drilled and tapped at the factory. It appears that the M92 doesn't have such holes. I need a peep sight, cause these 81 year old eyes just don't work with stock iron sights. I know that there are barrel mounted peeps and tang mounted peeps but I don't want that. I had a tang peep on my 94 and my grandson dropped the rifle bending the sight and it has never worked right again.

Is there any contraindication to drilling and tapping either the rear of the bolt or the left rear side of the receiver to receive peep sights?

rockydoc
    Tom Stone
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Not in my estimation. My Miroku 92 45 Colt wears a Williams as this is the exact rite place for my eyes also.

Trying to remember doing mine. Think i removed the left inner rail to ensure not buggering up anything. Easy job and the returns ate way worth the time spent. AND your thumb still wraps over the wrist with no interference.

Its your rifle and eyes and fun factor ... if you desire a Williams on that rifle i say go for it.

Banned
    Get a tang sight. No 92 is gonna kick enuf to put it in your eye. Also looks much better on a classic lever rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Skinner barrel mounted Peep on my 92's and 1873's. It works really well.

I kind of like the sight picture with the Marbles bead as it seems to center itself in the ghost ring naturally and is quick to use for hunting or steel targets but i find it not as easy to shoot accurately for bullseye targets.

For that reason I usually replace the front bead with one of the Skinner patridge style blades as i can shoot better with the blade front sight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180320_235554354_iOS (Small).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	223632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180313_084245000_iOS (Small).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	223633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180313_085946817_iOS (Small).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	223634

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin356 View Post
    Get a tang sight. No 92 is gonna kick enuf to put it in your eye. Also looks much better on a classic lever rifle.
    Getting hit in the eye was never a consideration. I mentioned the fragility of the tang sight. I've been there and done that and don't want to do it again. It looks to me like the tang safety would place the tang sight farther back to the place my thumb wants to go.

Regarding the barrel peep I think I would have a wider view with the peep closer to my eye. I can't think of a single rifle that had a peep sight as original standard equipment (1903, Garand, 30 M1, etc.) that placed the peep on the barrel. They have it on the rear of the receiver, close to the eye.

Thank you for your replies.
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Master

I had a smith drill and tap my Browning/Miroku 92 for an early steel Lyman 66A. Did the same for the 65 in 218 Bee and the 53 in 32-20. For years, nearly all Winchester and Marlin levers came from the factory so drilled and tapped. No sweat.

I put steel Redfield 102s on my Browning/Miroku 1886 SRC and 1895 in 30-40. I'm a fan of good aperture sights.