Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
StainLess Steel MediaADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & Sons

Thread: Marlin 1894 357 Magnum Chambering Jamming Cure (YMMV)

Marlin 1894 357 Magnum Chambering Jamming Cure (YMMV)

A few years ago I picked up a 357 mag, 1894 for a song in a shop. I figured it had to be a problem gun, sure enough!
    It would run flawlessly with some 357 round nose rounds but anything with a flat tip bullet would hang up, well, I polished, I shaved, I sanded, I polished more! I added metal, I shimmed, and made micro adjustments here and there to the lifter. I adjusted (bent) the ejector to and fro. back and forth, up and down, in and out, shims, no shims, etc etc etc for 3 days, I must have assembled it at least 20 -25 times easily! Absolutely NO change in any way, no matter what combination of things I tried.
    Finally I gave up and figured the lifter must just be worn out in some place that is just not ringing a bell with me, and i'm just not seeing something, SOOOO, I broke down and ordered a new lifter from Midway, dropped it in the gun, cycled it and UGH it jammed just like before! I played, I tinkered, I lubed and polished, no good I was at a loss to say the least, I mean out of any more thoughts on where to go from here! Anything with a flat tip hung up and that was it, no getting around it, slow cycling, fast cycling, and any speed in between just didn't matter. The gun extracted perfectly, ejected like a champ, just would not feed.
    Well, I was cleaning up the bench to get a fresh start the next day and I noticed the bag the lifter came in and under the paper there was something else in there I hadn't noticed, it was a new ejector, I knew mine worked flawlessly so there was no point in placing the new one in, oh what have I got to lose at this point? why not! So I tore it down yet again , put the new ejector in, with the new lifter, reassembled it and put in some 357 SWC 358429 rounds, they cycled through that gun like greased lightning! I mean snot on a door knob SLICK!! I tried every variety of 38 and 357 rounds I had loaded, with a large variety of flat tip boolits, and still had the same flawless feeding! At this point I just had to know, so one last time I tore it down, put my original lifter back in with the new ejector and i'll be darned if it wasn't functioning flawlessly!!! I put the new lifter back in just because I had paid for it, and it sits there running flawlessly til this very day! No matter what I feed it, slides through beautifully! I would have bet anyone $1000 that the ejector was in NO WAY the problem, and I would have lost the bet!
    Moral of the story, don't overlook that ejector if your 1894 isn't feeding well, and you just might not need to spend $70 on a lifter you do not need.
    Safe and happy shooting!
    MagLvr
    Last edited by maglvr; 07-16-2018 at 05:13 AM.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Bub
    Interesting!

Boolit Master

My thought is that, in removing and replacing your injector, you dislodged some bit of crud that had been in your way. That would explain why your original worked when reinstalled. I also run Marlin 1894s, so I've learned this, too. Thanks!

Actually, the new ejector was made totally different than the original, and I wasn't even sure it was the correct part for the gun, when I first spotted it in the bag. My thoughts are this...... At some point Marlin realized these were causing problems and instead of going through the process of recalling etc. just started making them differently.
    Who's to say! All I am certain of is that it was the problem.
    MagLvr
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Bub
    Good to know. Was this the "Marlin Jam" I've read about?
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." --Dr. Johnson

No, it was not the dreaded Marlin jam (Letting in two, as the factory calls it). Mine did everything just fine except let the round enter the chamber.
    MagLvr
    The .357 Magnum......
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)

Does the new lifter fix the "Marlin Jam"????….
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Typical Marlin jam is easily solved, if you are the least bit handy, and without spending 70 bucks for a new lifter, but in answer to your question, yes, a new lifter generally cures Marlin jam.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)