Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, Smelting Coleman stove back to camping?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you don’t have lead splatter, just scrub it well with your favorite detergent, rinse well and then run a tank of Colman through it. Preferably with a couple of cast iron skillets on it and any bad will have to be gone. Lead is not good for health, but we have keep the amount in mind too. After a scrub and a burn, the traces left won’t be of concern. On the other hand, I would never use a skillet I melted lead in again for food.

Boolit Master
    There is a big move in retro stoves. Alcohol and white gas models of many brands are becoming collectors items. There are several folks out there buying trashed stoves, refurbishing and selling for much more than new prices.

I wish I still had the commercial version of the Coleman tanker stove. I loved that thing but got rid of it when I started camping on the motorcycle. Now days I just use a regular propane model. Don't have to worry about pumping or spilling the white gas.

I also went the alcohol route when backpacking. It was very light but kind of a PITA since in fire season it was not legal to use (no fuel shutoff).

And, yes, white gas is easy to find. It comes in plastic containers now, quart sizes too.

As to lead and cooking. I would not. When I smelted lead I went to a yard sale and got a cheap propane burner. It was never used to cook food. Yeah, I know that is overkill, just what made me feel comfortable.

Get a fish frier for smelting from basspro 30 bucks in sale.works great.

I've got a Plumbers Salamander, a burner that screws into a propane tank. It has a cast iron pot
    that fits between lugs cast on the burner. When I get roof flashing and other scrap that has things
    like tar or paint on them, I melt it over a wood fire. I lay up a couple row of concrete block, dry.
    Have a old cast grate I lay on top and use 3lb coffee cans for pots. When lead melts I tip the can
    with channel locks and pour the lead out from under the dross. Can will make two pours then throw away. Saves getting crud on your good pot.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by solman View Post
    Note that there is no visible lead on the stove and I only used it once to smelt some lead.
    Thanks
    Solman
    What's left to clean? I assume your going to be cooking in a pan or pot so even if there was lead splatter down on the bottom of the stove how would it get in your food? People worry too much. Don't feed you're babies lead paint and everyone will be fine.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    No one mentioned that oven cleaner, which contains lye, will quickly remove any paint on the stove. Take the grill OFF first and clean it separately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12