Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cupshot wagdHow to determine slug diameter

Boolit Mold

Cupshot wagdHow to determine slug diameter

Hi all!

My name is Ama, I am from South America and I would like to start reloading slugs to some shotguns calibers , from 410 to 12.

(Just reloaded pistol rounds before)

My goal is:

1. Use a simple technique, something plug and play. (so, i am thinking about to use cupshot
    H wads , not cutting any petal and not using nitro cards if possible)

2.Get a simple design mold, easy to use (I was thinking about Lee round slug)

3. Learn how to determine the best slug diameter to each of my shotguns, to get a good performance and avoid barrel damage.

4. Load it on my Lee load all 2 (star crimp)

5. Use it all to break some bricks with my son at 50 yards.

Would you guys please tell me how should I proceed?

I mean, if the round slug mold is a good simple choice, could I use it with common H wads, no cutting any petal nor using nitro pads?

If yes, how should I proceed to determine the best slug diameter for each of my guns?

Should I measure the front bore inner diameter alone and get the same diameter slug?

Or should I get a smaller diameter slug, since it will be inside a cupshot that has its own plastic walls around the slug?

How could I determine the correct diameter?

I got into some threads about this but it seems that everybody here is just cast some slugs and test if does a good job on a specific gun, posting results after.

Since I live far away from USA, I will have to import the molds, so I have very little space to test and error.

Because of this, I would like to learn how to determine the correct slug diameter before to order each mold.

Thanks!

(Would anyone please correct the post title?)
    Last edited by Amayumi; 07-12-2018 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Misspelled words

Ama: First off, let me welcome you to the forum. A simple post can't come close to covering all it is you need to know to get a safe and workable load for your shotguns. Best advice I have to share is to read and reread the many posts that Ajay of Vdo-Memorie-Blazing Sabots has posted. He goes in depth on how to properly fit the slug and wad combinations and any advice I could offer wouldn't come close to the value of what's all here at Boolits. Just sit back and prepare for A LOT of reading. Gp

Boolit Master

Ama, Welcome to Cast Boolits!! There is a wealth of knowledge in these pages, be prepared to do some studying! As gpidaho has stated, read the rather lengthy thread started by Vdo-Memorie-Blazing Sabots, it is a true treasure trove of knowledge! Also, you will want to read the posts by member Longbow, he has much to share on this topic.

In simple terms, you can easily load lead round balls of equal weight to shot charges, in shotcup-type wads, that is, substitute a 1 oz. round ball for a 1 oz. shot load (lead shot not steel shot!). A .662" or .678" lead round ball will easily fit into most plastic shot wads.

There is a lot of data available here, you' just need to start reading! Once again, Welcome Aboard!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown