MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Rebated Boat Tail 308 Swaged Lead Boolits from Cast Boolits & Powder Coated

Boolit Master

Rebated Boat Tail 308 Swaged Lead Boolits from Cast Boolits & Powder Coated

The 1st four postings appear in two Forum Groups - (a) Swaging and (b) Coatings and Alternatives. I anticipate the discussion in each Forum Group will rapidly go in different directions based on the interests of these two different group followers.

Was sitting at the reloading bench a couple of days ago with my Corbin .308 Swaging Nose Pointing dies (8S Ogive) in the Swage press. Looked over at some .308 boolits laying on the bench: RCBS 165 Sil, Lyman 311644 Sil, and RCBS 200 Sil. The urge to try and reform the boolits by swaging them into lead .308 Rebated Boat Tails. No copper jackets for these – rather some Harbor Freight Red Powder Coating was calling.

I swaged Ten lead boolits from each of the “Donor Cast Boolits”. Ten from the RCBS 165 Sil mold weighing 172 Grains post swaging, Ten from the Lyman 311644 Sil mold weighing 195 Grains, and Ten from the RCBS 200 Sil mold weighing 211 grains. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the swaged boolits turned out; each with a barely discernable ring around the bottom of the boolits where the Lube Band/s had previously been. The Rebated Boat Tail was nice and sharp.

I powder coated the boolits in HF Red Powder. Because of the sharp rebated boat tail; these boolits will not stand on their base (fall over with the slightest bump). I looked at placing them in the Trivets I normally use for these three Boolits when gas checked (Trivets are found at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). The cells in these trivets are too wide apart to support the Rebated Boat Tail swaged boolits; although the firmly hold .308 boolits with a gas check installed.

Went and sorted through my gear and found a smaller cell Trivet I had bought a year or so ago (These trivets are listed at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). These trivets worked great and firmly held the RBT boolits after swirling them in HF red in a plastic tub. Used a set of Hemostats to pick up each RBT boolit and set them firmly into the Trivet. Baked them at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, and then air cooled. The boolits were 9.8 BHN before swaging. Alloy was 96% Lead, 3 % Antimony, and 1% Tin.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

The 172 Grain Swaged & Powder Coated RBT did not perform too well. The rifle (Remington 700) is sighted in for 300 Yards with my Swaged 175 Grain Rebated Boat Tail bullets with jackets formed from 5/16 Copper Tubing. I used 29 Grains of BLC-2 powder in the .308 with the Swaged Lead RBT Boolits. Did not want to change the Scope settings; so I aimed 2.5 Mils low. After two rounds low on the Target at 100 Yards; I changed my aim point dead center on the Bull with the cross hairs; that did the trick as far as Optical Sighting for this outing. In the picture below one can see that the 8 round group is quite large; but generally centered on the bull area vertically.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swaged RBT RCBS165Sil - 172Grain - Group - 180712.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	223624
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

The 195 Grain Swaged & Powder Coated RBT did better at 3.289 MOA. The first 3 rounds were at 3 O’Clock; next two were higher and at 2 O’clock, and then the remainder were walking to the left and down. Strange progression, no explanation. Once again load was with 29 Grain of BLC-2 Powder.

Name:	Swaged RBT Lyman 311644 Sil - 195Grain - Group - 1180712.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	223626
    Mustang

Boolit Master

The 211 Grain Swaged & Powder Coated RBT performed much better. Eight of the rounds grouped well at 1.06 MOA! Then had two rounds that went off and opened the group up at 3.529 MOA. I knew the bases of the two RBT boolits were damaged (Marked them before I loaded). I am hoping that the opening group was due to those known damaged bases. See group below:

Name:	Swaged RBT RCBS 200Sil - 211Grain - Group - 180712.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	223628

Will have to try this load again. My theory on the heavier boolit performing better is that it has a much larger bearing surface against the Rifling due to the shape of the Swage Die and the 8S Ogive being the same for all three RBT swaged boolit weights.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 07-12-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    Mustang

Boolit Master

Btsniper has swedged after pc. Works as lube for the swedge process and gave a perfect exterior symetry to the finished bullet. I was surprised how much the lead could move and the pc stayed intact. Applaud your efforts, just passing on a tidbit to try as I don't have the tools to try it myself yet.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

The problem with trying to Powder Coat the various "Cast Boolits"; and then Swage them is that they will not fit into the Die. (Same with the three cast boolits "As Cast" listed in my post). You have to swage the Cast Boolits down in a .308 die to fit into the Corbin Nose Pointing die which is .3085". In the case of these 3 Boolit Designs, the long noses are smaller; so the noses are not reduced in the .308 sizer; just the drive bands.

Using the process I described in starting posts; I get a very smooth boolit conforming to the walls of the Nose Form Die. My concern with Powder Coating, Sizing down, then swaging the formed "Core" up in the Point forming die is:

(a) the Powder Coat in the drive bands will fold/keep the drive bands from closing fully.

(b) the Powder Coat may not be "Symmetrical" around the boolit. When swaged up to fill the core; the boolit may have high and low parts on the skin where the Powder Coat is thick or thin across the surface of the Boolit. My thoughts are that is can be avoided by Swaging; then powder coating. The Powder coat is far less dense than the lead; so any fluctuations in size on the surface (when applied after swaging) will not be as impactful on the Boolit and accuracy. - My thoughts on the subject anyway.
    Mustang