RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: VLD Point Forming Die

Boolit Buddy

VLD Point Forming Die

Any tips for using? I picked one up second hand, not sure of the maker. Seems to be more finicky than a 6S die. More lube seems to help some, but tends to stick on ejection. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Sometimes more lube creates suction on ejection. You have to find the right amount of lube. It takes time and patience. I have a 12s 17 cal die. What PITA until I found the correct amount of lube. Good luck, you'll find the sweet spot.

Vendor Sponsor

What caliber?

I haven't found VLD dies to be any more trouble then any other point form die in my experience. Actually found a longer nose with less barring surface to the bullet should eject easier, but........ could be other reasons or issues with die.

What are you using for lube? What weight bullet? What caliber? What jacket? What press? etc......

I have made some where I formed the tip in two steps. Form the bullet like 80% on first stroke, wipe off lube, reapply new lube and finish bullet to 100% on second stroke of press.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    I am using Corbin swage lube for 55 grain 0.224 bullets from derimmed 22lr cases on a Corbin CSP-1 press. The jackets are derimmed on using a Corbin die and then annealed in a heat treat oven prior to SS pin tumbling. I lubed the last batch of 500 jackets with 2.0 grains of lube tumbled for 5 minutes prior to core seating. After resting for 3 days, I tried point forming with no additional lube, 1.0 grains (total of 3 grains) using same tumble application, and again using total of 4.0 grains. All three lube levels exhibited intermittent sticking and ejection pin penetrating into the lead core. None of them pierced the jacket.

Vendor Sponsor

Sounds like you are doing everything correct. I would have to suspect the die then..... try cleaning bullet cavity with clean cotton Q-tip? Any noticeable scratches? or imperfections in the surface finish?
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    Think I figured it out. The inside of the die looks fine and I cleaned it really well (boiled out, brake cleaner, then q-tip) before this run. I tried the boat tail core die and everything ran perfect. The diameter of the seated core out of the BT die is 0.0008” smaller than out of the regular seating die. I will set the regular die to that diameter tomorrow and I think it will run fine for flat base VLD.