Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman M die expander buttons ?

Banned

Question Lyman M die expander buttons ?

Back when, you could buy a short and long M die and then buy the expander buttons individually.
    Now on the Lyman site, only complete dies are listed.

Anyone know a source for the expander buttons ?

Boolit Master

Sorry that I'm no help with a source for individual Lyman expander assemblies. NOE's "M" style expander plugs might accomplish what you're looking for. You can obtain just about any size of M style expander plug, and they are used with a cheap Lee Universal Expanding Die.

Rifle expander plugs:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...mibspl20o35pa1

Pistol expander plugs:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...mibspl20o35pa1

Check Ç&H, they offer the body and expanders separately. Have not tried them yet. I need to call them to see if they can do an expander for the 416 Rigby. It doesn't fit in the Lee expander die.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    C&H does them for just under 12 bucks each. But you need to check with Dave as to what die body they work in.

Boolit Grand Master

Call lyman, I believe they are uncatalogued but available.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Lyman like so many other firearms related businesses that have been bought up by the big holding companies have gone the way of the big box stores. No more side bar type items. They've done away with the nitch items and concentrated only on the 80 percent rule. Selection is toast, color, materials, makes no matter, only thing you now find is same run of the mill stuff offered by someone else.

Boolit Master

I bought 4 different buttons last summer from Lyman. It took the girl on the phone a few minutes to understand what I wanted but she did come up with them in the computer.

The whole deal took about 1/2 hour on the phone with her after finally getting to speak with someone.

Banned
    LYMAN RESPONDED:

Good morning,
    The M-Die plugs and stems are caliber specific, and we only sell the plugs with the stems. They are $7.53 each. Here is a link to the calibers that we have available
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ng-m-dies.html
    Please feel free to give us a call if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin356 View Post
    LYMAN RESPONDED:

Good morning,
    The M-Die plugs and stems are caliber specific, and we only sell the plugs with the stems. They are $7.53 each. Here is a link to the calibers that we have available
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ng-m-dies.html
    Please feel free to give us a call if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Customer Service
    Geeez Marlin356, these guys really need to get their act together. Here's just an example. I sent them a email last week re a neck expander for my 8x58RD roller that I use Hungarian brass for and I ask them if they made one in 8mm. Got an answer day or so later saying they did not make a 8mm neck expander. By looking at the link they sent you there is an 8x57 mauser at the top of the listing.......go figure. So, maybe I'll call an see if they REALLY have one available. ..or not.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Geeez Marlin356, these guys really need to get their act together. Here's just an example. I sent them a email last week re a neck expander for my 8x58RD roller that I use Hungarian brass for and I ask them if they made one in 8mm. Got an answer day or so later saying they did not make a 8mm neck expander. By looking at the link they sent you there is an 8x57 mauser at the top of the listing.......go figure. So, maybe I'll call an see if they REALLY have one available. ..or not.
    On a Phone call to Lyman nearly a year ago I was told they no longer sold just the expander buttons. Guess I should have called back several times till I got someone who would sell them .. Oh well happy with the NOE ones I purchased instead

Rather support NOE anyway at least he is trying to look out for us .. can't really say that for Lyman anymore
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    On a Phone call to Lyman nearly a year ago I was told they no longer sold just the expander buttons. Guess I should have called back several times till I got someone who would sell them .. Oh well happy with the NOE ones I purchased instead

Rather support NOE anyway at least he is trying to look out for us .. can't really say that for Lyman anymore
    Ya just gotta love corporate shoe size IQ. It's no wonder America is turning into a third world country......anything above middle management is brain dead to their customers needs. Then when times get hard, who goes down the road but middle management on down.

Boolit Master

80% rule means younger, hungrier companies are going to eat their lunch.

Also happy with my NOE expanders in a Lee body.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    One Lee Universal Expander Die body and the pertinent NOE expander plugs to go into it, and it's all good,,,,,.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...kjddauf366omu6
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

If CH4D can't help you the best , even better than Lyman's , is a Lee Universal Case Expander and NOE expander plugs. $6.50 gets you just about any size you want and the Lee Expander can also be used to just bell case necks when you don't need the M step. Works really well .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    What gwpercle said

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    One Lee Universal Expander Die body and the pertinent NOE expander plugs to go into it, and it's all good,,,,,.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...kjddauf366omu6
    When I look at the Lee expander die, the 2 furnished inserts appear to have a female thread. The NOE plugs have a male thread. How does that work ? ALSO is the NOE male threaded stud the same as the one on the Lyman plug ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin356 View Post
    When I look at the Lee expander die, the 2 furnished inserts appear to have a female thread. The NOE plugs have a male thread. How does that work ? ALSO is the NOE male threaded stud the same as the one on the Lyman plug ?
    The plugs themselves are not threaded. They just drop into the die loose. The threaded adjuster at the top of the die controls the fine adjustments for depth.

Boolit Master

I called Lyman yesterday and yes, plugs are available but you have to call customer service (I ordered a .310 plug myself). There is limited availability though and I wanted a .359 but that one unfortunately is not made anymore. I need to pick up the Lee die and one of those NOE expanders....that's good gouge, thanks Taterhead.

In Remembrance

Just a dumb question from an old man, what LEE die is required for using NOE plugs?Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Just a dumb question from an old man, what LEE die is required for using NOE plugs?Robert
    The Lee universal expander die
    Being human is not for sissies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast