RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballistic Products Valu-Slug

Just got in from the Range testing 4 different loads. Got some pretty decent groups with each slug in some form or another.

The sabots don’t like 38 grs of Longshot. The first shot from a really cold barrel (in my truck with the AC blasting for 30 mins then stepping out in 100 degree weather) read over 2100 fps. The other 3 were pushing 1900 fps. Only two hit the target at 50 yards and they keyholed bad. The sabots were destroyed to pieces.

I ran 25 grs of Unique and had very good accuracy at 50 yards. The velocity was hovering around 1450-1470 fps. The sabots blossomed beautifully. I think these sabots favor faster burning powders.

I saw no signs of over pressure on the hulls with either on them. Thinking I can move up a few grains with Unique. I’ll try Green Dot and Herco next.

Both foster slugs did good. I’m working on editing the vid so it should be ready in a day or two.

Here’s the sabot group with Unique. I’m guessing around 2” but I think I can do better:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, here’s how I stacked them up in the hull:

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I'm in for a 100 or so, maybe more or less depending on the demand here.

let me know when you need the $$ and what the total will be to 45322.

Scott
    So I got a reply from them via email which quotes me .15 cents a piece. Maybe it’s sharper cuz of the quantity?

Boolit Master

BT, I guess you're shooting the sabots from a rifled gun?? What's the total projectile weight? I had good, not perfect result with hubel sabots but I was pushing a .575 Minie in a sabot that weighs about 50 gr iirc over Steel powder. Total just under 500 gr. If Dino can get his hands on a new supply he can perfect that load with a bullet that actually fits under the lip. I got some on paper at 200 yds with an imperfect fit. Hope springs eternal!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

O ye of little faith
    Perfection is coming
    Sooner rather than later
    By Friday or sooner the process will be in full swing

Boolit Master

Great news!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    So I got a reply from them via email which quotes me .15 cents a piece. Maybe it’s sharper cuz of the quantity?

BT
    I'm still interested in a couple hundred, if there are others maybe a group buy could get them cheaper.

Were these trials shot through a rifled barrel? Either way, I'd be interested in your recipe for the TRUBALL load, nice looking setup !!!

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    I'm interested in replicating a 12ga Hornady SST type sabot slug.

Here’s the YouTube vid I did last night of the truball and hydra-shok.

The results weren’t all that bad. I think my 590A1 will do better due to the thicker barrel.

Very first shot was from a really cold barrel that threw the shot super high. Same thing happened when I switched to my USH.

Anyway, here ya go. Working on the second vid with the sabots now.

https://youtu.be/Mbwp5ugfDq4

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    BT, I guess you're shooting the sabots from a rifled gun?? What's the total projectile weight? I had good, not perfect result with hubel sabots but I was pushing a .575 Minie in a sabot that weighs about 50 gr iirc over Steel powder. Total just under 500 gr. If Dino can get his hands on a new supply he can perfect that load with a bullet that actually fits under the lip. I got some on paper at 200 yds with an imperfect fit. Hope springs eternal!
    Yessir. I’m shooting the sabots through a rifled barrel.

The total projectile weight is around 368 grains (sabot and projectile).

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    BT
    I'm still interested in a couple hundred, if there are others maybe a group buy could get them cheaper.

Were these trials shot through a rifled barrel? Either way, I'd be interested in your recipe for the TRUBALL load, nice looking setup !!!

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott,

These were shot thru my Maverick 88 slugster topped with a TruGlo 4x scope.

Here’s the sabot vid:

https://youtu.be/btZcE3Y5n_o

Banned
    Blood Trail, sure do appreciate your posting pictures of your tests, it helps us all see first hand and learn from it.
    Can you please double check the bullet weight and powder load, exact load set up.
    Perhaps try adding a bit more base support.

Take care and all the very best ! !

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Blood Trail, sure do appreciate your posting pictures of your tests, it helps us all see first hand and learn from it.
    Can you please double check the bullet weight and powder load, exact load set up.
    Perhaps try adding a bit more base support.

Take care and all the very best ! !

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Here you go, VJay.

Projectile+sabot= 369 grs:

Projectile= 304 grs

Reference calibration weight= 50 grams

Length= 1.105”

Diameter: 0.501”

Ballistic Products Valu-Slug

Both loads were stacked in Clear Fiocchi 2.75” hulls.
    -X12X gas seal
    -25 grs Unique
    -Roll Crimp
    -avg velocity: 1450 fps

This load was :

-BPGS gas seal
    -X12X gas seal
    -38 grs of Longshot
    -velocities: 2172 fps (cold barrel), 1886 fps, 1894 fps
    -Roll Crimp

Banned
    Hello Blood Trail, Thank you for posting those picture, now we know it is a 300 gr bullet for sure.
    In all my testing we never used a cork card, instead try the Darker nitro card of .170 and also if possible switch over to 3 inch hull and incorporate a .250 card to give the load a stronger platform at launch and try your 38 gr LongShot load.
    Do you by any chance have the Powder Cup PC Op wad, if yes the try that but you will need to fill the top cavity with .125 nitro card followed by .170 darker nitro card.
    If you were to use newer Fiocchi hulls thenI would suggest loading 38 gr, 38.5, 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5 and 41 gr and shoot them in this very order while watching for pressure and extraction marks carefully ! !
    This is what you don't want:

Or this:

Thanks again for posting those pictures.
    We are all in it to win it.

Best of luck.
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 07-16-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Hello Blood Trail, Thank you for posting those picture, now we know it is a 300 gr bullet for sure.
    In all my testing we never used a cork card, instead try the Darker nitro card of .170 and also if possible switch over to 3 inch hull and incorporate a .250 card to give the load a stronger platform at launch and try your 38 gr LongShot load.
    Do you by any chance have the Powder Cup PC Op wad, if yes the try that but you will need to fill the top cavity with .125 nitro card followed by .170 darker nitro card.
    If you were to use newer Fiocchi hulls thenI would suggest loading 38 gr, 38.5, 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5 and 41 gr and shoot them in this very order while watching for pressure and extraction marks carefully ! !
    This is what you don't want:

Or this:

Thanks again for posting those pictures.
    We are all in it to win it.

Best of luck.
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    That’s for the advice, AJay. To provide a softer launch, I have no choice but to move up to a 3” hull.

All the hulls I use for testing are new primed Fiocchi hulls. I probably have around 10,000 2.75”, 3”, and 3.5” hulls on hand.

The only load I got that was accurate was when I was using the cork wad. These aren’t you avg cork wads, though. These are rubber with cork pieces made in it that provides for excellent shock absorbers during the initial launch, saving the base of the sabot for slug setback.

You think flex seals and felt wads will work? I do t have any 1/4” nitro cards on hand.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried out the sabot slugs today. I started with 40 grains of bluedot and went up to 42 grains. No chronograph data, but that has to be up there in velocity. I can safely say that in my USH, all shots released well, and the sabot's look great. They did not break apart. I was shooting at 100 yards, and the first three shots were touching. I was shooting my cast full bore slugs, and they were leaving quite a bit of lead in the bore. I then shot another 3. Up until then, I had not check the target. I found 5 in a group about 1 1/2", and the 6th straight down 7" away. I really hope that was due to the fouling, and I will be trying these again. To test the theory, I shot some more lead slugs, and shot another 3 sabot slugs. 2 more were in the 1 1/2" group, and the 6th far away. It would be great if the accuracy really is as good as I think it is. The load was a Fiocchi 3" hull (new, primed, trimmed down from 3 1/2"), 40-42 grains Bluedot, X12X, either 2 or 3 nitro cards, then the sabot and slug with a roll crimp. I plan to load 41-45 grains next time, and will shoot them over the chronograph. The hulls got the slightest of ejector marks at 41 grains, and was more pronounced at 42 grains. In my experience, these marks are premature, and 42 grains is plenty safe. BPI has a published load with the LBC slug and 50 grains of longshot at 11,500 psi. Those hulls show more of a mark than 42 grain of Bluedot and the sabot slug.

Now, unrelated to the value-slugs, I also shot my new hollow base cast slugs. I really hope that I was off target, but I couldn't seem to get a group. I tried a couple of wad stacks. I loaded these, in this order, X12X-nitro card-(2) 1/4" 12 ga. felt wads-(3) nitro cards. The second stack was the same, but I substituted the felt wads for one 1/2" 12 ga. fiber wad. With the felt wads, the bore had leaded up worse than I've ever seen with slugs, even rifled slugs. I had only loaded 5 with the fiber wads, but those 5 shots seemed to clean the leading out. The slugs themselves are over sized at .735-.736". I cast them with wheel weights and heat treated to about 26 BHN, then one coat of Lee Alox. My groove diameter on the USH is just over .731". I'm going to try more with the fiber wads, and I think I'll try some cast soft next time. The nitro cards showed a slight concave shape like they were starting to get pushed into the hollow base, but not bad. Next time I'll put a big sheet of pattering paper behind the actual target, and I'll start at 50 yards. It's worth noting that there were absolutely no oblong holes on target, including the sabot slugs.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 07-19-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I tried out the sabot slugs today. I started with 40 grains of bluedot and went up to 42 grains. No chronograph data, but that has to be up there in velocity. I can safely say that in my USH, all shots released well, and the sabot's look great. They did not break apart. I was shooting at 100 yards, and the first three shots were touching. I was shooting my cast full bore slugs, and they were leaving quite a bit of lead in the bore. I then shot another 3. Up until then, I had not check the target. I found 5 in a group about 1 1/2", and the 6th straight down 7" away. I really hope that was due to the fouling, and I will be trying these again. To test the theory, I shot some more lead slugs, and shot another 3 sabot slugs. 2 more were in the 1 1/2" group, and the 6th far away. It would be great if the accuracy really is as good as I think it is. The load was a Fiocchi 3" hull (new, primed, trimmed down from 3 1/2"), 40-42 grains Bluedot, X12X, either 2 or 3 nitro cards, then the sabot and slug with a roll crimp. I plan to load 41-45 grains next time, and will shoot them over the chronograph. The hulls got the slightest of ejector marks at 41 grains, and was more pronounced at 42 grains. In my experience, these marks are premature, and 42 grains is plenty safe. BPI has a published load with the LBC slug and 50 grains of longshot at 11,500 psi. Those hulls show more of a mark than 42 grain of Bluedot and the sabot slug.

Now, unrelated to the value-slugs, I also shot my new hollow base cast slugs. I really hope that I was off target, but I couldn't seem to get a group. I tried a couple of wad stacks. I loaded these, in this order, X12X-nitro card-(2) 1/4" 12 ga. felt wads-(3) nitro cards. The second stack was the same, but I substituted the felt wads for one 1/2" 12 ga. fiber wad. With the felt wads, the bore had leaded up worse than I've ever seen with slugs, even rifled slugs. I had only loaded 5 with the fiber wads, but those 5 shots seemed to clean the leading out. The slugs themselves are over sized at .735-.736". I cast them with wheel weights and heat treated to about 26 BHN, then one coat of Lee Alox. My groove diameter on the USH is just over .731". I'm going to try more with the fiber wads, and I think I'll try some cast soft next time. The nitro cards showed a slight concave shape like they were starting to get pushed into the hollow base, but not bad. Next time I'll put a big sheet of pattering paper behind the actual target, and I'll start at 50 yards. It's worth noting that there were absolutely no oblong holes on target, including the sabot slugs.
    Great report, brother! I’ll try your recipe with BD. I have a whole bunch of loads to test. It’s been record-breaking heat here in Texas. The high for the past week as been greater than 108. That smelts the slug in your chamber.

Boolit Master

What’s the name of your YouTube channel blood trail?
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast