Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Question about Dillon 650 with bullet feeder

Boolit Buddy

Question about Dillon 650 with bullet feeder

I’m setting up a new Dillon XL 650 with a bullet feeder. I’ve loaded on a 550 for decades so I’m not new to reloading but I am new to auto indexing. I’m loading 9mm cast / coated, 120 grain Lee TC. Adding the same bell to cases as before. Bullet feeder Double Alpha die drops bullet squarely onto the case. Problem is when the shell plate starts to index the bullet falls over immediately upon rotational movement and not upon stopping rotation. If I slow waaaaay down it’s ok but as soon as I speed up ever so slightly the bullets falls over or tilt. I can ad more bell but I would think it would be too much bell. Any suggestions?

Moderator Emeritus
    You could remove a coil off of the spring under the detent ball to let the shell plate rotate more easily. It lets the shell plate start and stop more smoothly. Helps keep powder from jumping out of the case also.

See if you can find a GSI feeder, they hold the bullet in place as they are being seated.

If it is because the index is “snapping”, you can get a timkin NTA-815 thrust bearing and smooth that out.

Other than that it’s the expander/bell or column height is all you can mess with.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven’t even filled the hopper with powder yet. Trying to solve the bullets falling over first. I did order a thrust bearing and low mas detent ball but it’s not here yet so I’ll start with the spring mod first.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. I don’t have any issues feeding the bullets onto the case or seating them. The issue is when the shell plates starts to move. That is the instant the bullet falls over. How far should the bullet set into the case when it’s dropped from the feeder die? Right now it is slightly less than 1/8”.

Boolit Buddy
    Use the powder funnel that came with the mr bullet feeder and things will improve a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    You could remove a coil off of the spring under the detent ball to let the shell plate rotate more easily. It lets the shell plate start and stop more smoothly. Helps keep powder from jumping out of the case also.
    exactly what i did ,and no more powder spilled on the shell plate.

i tried the thrust bearing some sells,bought such kit coming with a polymeric detent ball from an alaska dealer on the bay , and did not liked the stiff feel of the press with this set up ,so ended up cutting a coil from the detent spring and got the wanted press action with this simple fix.

one thingn that seems to worth it is the indexing rod some sell ,which has a roller bearing on the end rubbing on the index tower on station one. the rubbing feel making place to a rolling feel.unanimity on the even smoother action with this rod.
    Last edited by glockfan; 07-11-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Assuming you’re using the MBR funnel, I would think you need to lower the powder funnel a tiny bit. The MBR funnel flares the brass but it differs from the Dillon powder funnel as it also creates a pocket for the bullet to drop in to.

I’ve loaded Lee 125 grain round nose, flat base 9mm bullets and it takes quite a bit of effort to separate the unseated bullet from the case. Heavier bullets are even more difficult to separate after the MBR dropper places them. With that said, I size to .356 for 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m using the Dillon funnel. Just ordered the MB funnel. Thanks for the tip.

Boolit Man
    I'm wondering why the MBF funnel wasn't supplied with the purchase. My MBR feeder came with the feeder.

Boolit Buddy
    I only purchased a MBF die and adapted it to Lee bullet tubes. I don’t have a MB collator. The Lee unit works surprisingly well. I tried removing 1/2 a coil from the ball detent spring and That was too much because the shell plate indexed backwards slightly and caused some jamming into the dies.

If you don’t have the MBF expander, you need it with their dropper. Order another spring from Dillon while you wait for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Powder funnel is ordered. Luckily I had another spring in my 550 parts stash.

Boolit Bub
    I had some issues with my 650 jumping as well. Try the tywrap trick. You can find it online. It cost virtually nothing and had better results than all the other tricks and stuff suggested. here is a link to a youtube video of someone using it on a 1050 but its pretty much the same. Keeps the cases from wobbling as much and puts a little drag on the shell plate so it doesn't jump.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfAJbQr1KE

Frank