Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Problem with Lee Powder Drum, older Lee 45acp powder thru die on Dillon 550B Press

Boolit Buddy

Unhappy Problem with Lee Powder Drum, older Lee 45acp powder thru die on Dillon 550B Press

I recently bought a Lee Powder Drum Powder Measure. I tried mounting it on an old 45 acp Lee Powder Through Die and found it would not cycle the measure in my 550B. I have read the suggestions about putting the locking ring under the tool head but that would not cycle it far enough either. Will a new Lee Powder Through Die resolve the issue? I understand the threaded portion is only .10" longer. That does not seem long enough? Any thoughts? As a last option, I could make a die for the setup if need be (trying to avoid work).

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I'd order the Universal charging die kit, and try the expander in one of those die bodies.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy

No go

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    I'd order the Universal charging die kit, and try the expander in one of those die bodies.

Thanks Jimkim! I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. Anyone else have an idea?

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishoot View Post
    Thanks Jimkim! I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. Anyone else have an idea?
    Sorry. Where are you located? Maybe somebody close by can help.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy
    I had to give up on getting help from Lee and Dillon. I emailed both asking for help. Lee said they could not guarantee the new die would work with a Dillon press. Dillon dismissed the problem as they don't test other manufacturers' equipment, etc.. So I resorted to my lathe and made a die that functions correctly. I though it could not have been their first encounter with this problem. I had read a lot of praise for Dillon and Lee has a good reputation, but they dropped the ball on this one. So much for "World Class Customer Service" on the part of both manufacturers.

You are right, Dillon should engineer their equipment to handle any other manufacturer's press and accessories and Lee should know and test exactly how their stuff works on other presses. Just like automakers; GM and Fiat both told me to pound sand when I asked why a Fiat transmission would not mount up to my Cadilac Escalade transmission.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Dillon designs their presses to work with their powder measures. Dillons powder measures are designed to work with Dillon presses. The sliding bar powder drop is different than most other manufacturers which rotate. Hard to make a linkage that does both. And neither manufacturer wants to design a linkage for someone to use another manufacturers equipment when they have already dumped money into designing something that works perfectly with their respective equipment. If you want it to work, you're gonna have to do it. A tubing bender and aluminum rod is available at Ace or Home Depot. I'd be interested in seeing the mechanics of it and member ingenuity is always cool see.

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty funny Dan! That Fiat transmission might get you out of the driveway, but only if you use reverse. Have you fabricated an adapter yet? I incorrectly presumed that the manufacturers would have been the most likely to encounter the question. That Lee Powder Drum Measure works like a champ on the Dillon with my die!

Boolit Master
    Nice! Any pics of the setup? Is that Lee measure a case activated measure or is it a rotating drum type like an RCBS Uniflow? I only have experience with a bench mounted Uniflow and the Dillon measures on my 550C. Interested to see how it works.

Boolit Buddy
    My primary reason for using the Lee measure was cost. Three Lee Powder Drum measures can be purchased for the price of one Dillon measure. Here are some links that show the Lee measure in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibWOwakcWx8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWbfGFb3dw

Boolit Mold
    I have one of these in the box on the shelf. I will have to try it on the 550 and see how it does. If I get it setup I will post some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk