Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Anyone know a machine shop that can drill out a 7/8-14 and tap for 1-1/4-12 ?

Boolit Master

Anyone know a machine shop that can drill out a 7/8-14 and tap for 1-1/4-12 ?

I have a Redding T-7 toolhead that I would like drilled out from its 7/8-14 and tapped to the larger 1-14"-12 size. I saw one that was done years ago and there was enough meat to do it.

I know any machine shot could do it but if anyone knows one that already has the drills and taps for it, it would likely be much less expensive. I'd rather not but a very expensive drill and tap for one project....but I will if I have to.

Please let me know...I'm not sure if I should put this in gunsmithing as well.
    [

Boolit Mold
    Where are you located in SW Ohio ?

Boolit Grand Master

It is not a hard job to do. The big thing is maintaining alighnment. I believe instead of drilling out to tap dril size I would bore it to size. This would require less force and have less chance of cracks or distortions in the part.

The best way is to call around to various shops and see what they can do and are willing to do. Look at shops that specialize in bigger work and heavy equipment rebuilds they may have the tap drill and tap on hand. A lot of shops stock up to 1" taps and tap drills any thing bigger s purchased as needed for the job and charged to it. One that does the bigger work should have them in stock.
    Another place to look is the local trade school or community college that offers the apprenticeship courses. They have shops and students willing to do odd jobs. You may have to by the tap but they can set it up bore it to tap drill size.

Boolit Master
    Between Cincy and Dayton
    [

Boolit Master
    It would be about as easy to get another piece of steel and put 2 holes in it with a mill.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Between Cincy and Dayton
    I used to have a machine shop in Mount Healthy right on 127. I could have done it easily.

Too bad it's not 1981.

Boolit Bub
    Better yet would be to bore and thread mill. Taps aren't all that accurate but thread milling will insure straight concentric and true threads in line with the bore. Any machineshop with CNC can do it and they don't need to have any special tool for that thread and diameter. I've done a bunch of threadmilling with my CNC knee mill. Works great and you can do metric, oddball russian and japanese threads etc. Its a really neat way of doing things especially in sizes that take a lot of horsepower to run.
    I'm not too far from Dayton in Indiana....west of Richmond. PM if you can't find anyone to do it.
    Frank